Get-Together

EXO SERIES: Byun Baekhyun's Heart's Desire [EDITING]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

>>MI KYUNG'S POV<<

"Kim Mi Kyung, good to see you! It's been a while." Kwon Chae Won said with a smile and nodded her head slightly at me. "How I see, you have finally come to your senses. Thank you. Do you enjoy our engagement celebration so far?" 

With a forced smile, too, I answered her. "Of course, I do. It's a really lovely place and I didn't even know you were engaged to each other until a while ago." I wasn't quite sure if Baekhyun was just pretending or if he was really naive about the situation. For him, who fell for Kwon Chae Won again, it was good that they would be supposed to get married.

"Well, it worked out between us. Our incident was a small break between Baekhyun and me, but I have realized that it was a mistake to leave oppa. That's why we also couldn't wait to announce our engagement and hold this party." Even though Kwon Chae Won was only a year younger than Baekhyun and me, she acted like a child. However, she was smarter than I thought.

Seung Joon appeared next to me and bowed politely to Baekhyun and his fiancee. How it sounds, his fiancee. It was already surprising when I found out they were dating. "Mi Kyung-ah, I've looked for you." Seung Joon put his arm gently around my waist, but I didn't mind. Even though he showed that he had an interest in me and it wasn't the same for me, I knew he would never hit on me. Seung Joon became a friend who I could really trust. Our encounter was really funny, though. "Congratulations on your engagement, too." 

My look fell on Baekhyun. I was not sure if they had met before or if they talked after I ran away from the both of them. If they did, I hoped Seung Joon didn't mention anything about my feelings towards Baekhyun. However, Baekhyun didn't look like he was curious or confused about Seung Joon's appearance. This made me realize they might have really talked before.

"Yoon Seung Joon?" Chae Won asked confused, looking between my friend and me. "What on earth are you doing here with Mi Kyung? How do you two know each other?" Well, this got Baekhyun curious instead. He turned to his fiancee, wondering why Kwon Chae Won knew his name.

"She dated my cousin." Seung Joon explained with a calm smile on his face. "It's been a while, Soon Hee-ssi. You know my cousin suffered a lot but he quickly moved on when he found out what kind of person you are." I noticed Baekhyun raising his eyebrows in surprise. 

"That's why I left him to get back to Baekhyun oppa. I am sorry for your cousin, but it felt wrong. I simply couldn't continue dating him." Chae Won explained and I suppressed a dry laugh because of her silly excuse. Baekhyun kept his arm linked with hers, but I was not able to read his expression. "Now that I am engaged to Baekhyun oppa, I couldn't be any happier." Her fiance smiled and placed a kiss on Kwon Chae Won's cheek. I looked down when I saw that coming and turned back to Seung Joon who quickly understood. I couldn't stand watching these two acting lovey-dovey.

"You two really suit each other." Baekhyun mentioned, his fiancee agreeing to him. So what? What if we suit each other? I should've met Seung Joon before Baekhyun and fell for him instead. Yoon Seung Joon's sincereness and the fact that I didn't see him as a man made me feel really bad. He was understanding, though. Because Seung Joon knew I couldn't change my feelings to like him.

"Mi Kyung-ah, your father asked me to take care of you. Let's go." Seung Joon smiled warmly and I felt bad and guilty even though I hadn't done anything. I felt bad for not being able to return his feelings. I felt guilty for liking someone else when Seung Joon was the one whose feelings were more genuine and sincere. "It was a pleasure for us to meet you again." Seung Joon bowed his head and left with me to go somewhere else.

Arriving on a balcony, Seung Joon let go of me and leaned his body against the handrail. "I dislike Chae Won so much." He let out a heavy sigh and looked at me. "But I am proud of you that you congratulated the engaged couple. You must've had a hard time, right?" I slowly shook my head, saying I was fine. I really was, because I wouldn't die because of their engagement. 

"Seung Joon-ah, there is still one thing I do not understand though. You told me Kwon Chae Won dated your cousin. Why would she suddenly break up with him and even get engaged to Baekhyun then? I thought she was sick of him." Chae Won had everything and wouldn't need Baekhyun's money to be successful. However, she would keep wanting things even though she was already so spoiled. I was aware Kwon Chae Won was the type of person who would break a lot of men's hearts, but with that engagement it would be more risky for her. She might still cheat on Baekhyun. 

Seung Joon shrugged his shoulders and warned me I shouldn't try to find out why. I didn't intend to, I was merely curious. All of a sudden I heard someone clearing his throat, causing me to turn my head. Baekhyun was standing there. A few minutes ago I didn't have the chance to completely observe him and his appearance. He was wearing a black suit and looked charismatic and handsome as always. It took me a second to look up. 

"Kim Mi Kyung-ssi." I had hoped Baekhyun wouldn't talk to me. Did he coincidentally listen to our conversation? "Yoon Seung Joon-ssi, right? I would like to talk to Mi Kyung-ssi alone, please." I knew that Baekhyun was a gentleman, always being polite. Now that he was using honorofics even though I was supposed to be used to it, it made me uncomfortable. Seung Joon let go of me and smiled before distancing himself from us. I found it difficult to look into his eyes. Baekhyun shouldn't know. 

"You are not mad at me anymore?" Baekhyun questioned me, his expression was yet unreadable. 

"I've never been mad at you, Baekhyun." I responded and looked straight into his eyes. I tried to act as indifferent as possible in order to hide my emotions from him. I had wanted to suppress my feelings, push them away which only made it worse. I had accepted it the way it was. "Drop the honorofics, either. Why else would I come here to congratulate here? You do look really good together so I wanted to give my blessing to your fiancee and you." Hearing myself saying that, I wanted to laugh dryly. I do not even know how I managed to say that.

"Thank you, Mi Kyung-ah." Baekhyun said to me and lowered his head. He didn't bother to ask me why I threw that basketball at him and ran away. I felt relieved. I didn't want to answer his questions. "I will go back to Chae Won then, I guess." I was the first to leave because I could not stand being with Baekhyun any longer. Somehow I ended up going to the washroom. I was on the verge of opening the water tap and looked into the mirror. Is this really me?

I lowered my head, the dizzy feelings disappeared and I was pulled back to reality. I washed my hands and took a deep breath. "That wasn't me." I mumbled to myself and closed my eyes for a second to focus. Kwon Chae Won. I heard her voice. She was probably somewhere near the washroom because I could hear her talking to someone. 

I carefully opened the door to the washroom, taking care I wasn't noisy. I shouldn't be eavesdropping and being too curious was a bad property. However, I couldn't help myself. I watched Kwon Chae Won talking to a man who turned out to be Baekhyun's father, Mr. Byun.

"Abeonim, the event is really nice but was it really necessary to invite the family of the Wanguk Group? Your company can be successful without them too." Chae Won complained and I could not believe she was serious. To be honest, when I first heard about a potential cooperation between his company and our company, I wasn't pleased either. However, I quickly realized it would be good for both companies. Any relations

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter