Unmasked.

[INDEFINITE HIATUS] Back To Memories

 

 

"Many people will walk in and out or your life,

But only true friends will leave footprints in your heart."

-- Unknown.

 

 



 

 

Dongwoon brought the cup to his lips, the hot liquid burnt as it went down his throat. He had been having flu lately so any intake of hot beverages was automatically a favourite in his state despite the warm afternoon weather. His sniffles filled the silence that had been going on for the past half hour as they sipped their coffees quietly, and he had been staring at Hyosung who was avoiding his gaze by staring down at her nails.

 

Nursing his cup of coffee again, he couldn’t shake the happiness he felt inside. He didn’t expect to bump into her of all people; he was just doing his daily roaming alone in the street during his free time, and boy, was he glad he did. He looked down to her casted leg, and guilty struck him again – turned out he aggravated the injury more by bumping into her. Thank god there was a clinic nearby.

 

“Uh ... n-noona, I’m sorry about your ankle,” he gulped, finally breaking the silence, in hoping to strike a conversation with her. There was so much to say, to ask, yet silence hung heavily in the air. He looked at the woman sitting before him, her facial expression solemn, as if this was the last thing she’d rather do. He felt a sudden twinge of pain inside when he realized that. Does she hate us that much?

 

 “It’s okay, Woonie. I’m fine,” she smiled but it didn’t reach her eyes, he noticed. He could feel his irritation rose. He hated the situation right then. Why were they so awkward? They aren't supposed to be! His hand tightened around the hot cup and he tried again. She needed to talk, whether she like it or not.

 

“Noona, look. We haven’t met for almost two months after ... you went missing. Don’t you have anything to say to me?” His tone serious now, he searched her face for an explanation.

 

“What is there to explain, Woonie? You of all people should’ve known the answer. But I’m sorry for leaving without telling you,” She said as a matter of fact after a moment of silence, and looked back into his eyes, and he saw hurt and pain. “But I’m not sorry that I left.” Her voice was soft and he could sense the fragility in the tone.

 

He sighed again. Of course he knew. Dongwoon was very fond of Daehyun, his little ball of happiness, and he would always tag along when Kikwang went to visit Hyosung just to play with Daehyun. What used to be a regular visit became once every fortnight and eventually only a monthly visit. Dongwoon continued on to visit though, and that was then he noticed the changes in her when each broken dates and promises went by. She was emotionally crippled.

 

Hyosung was like the loving elder sister he never had and seeing the tears in her eyes whenever it happened angered him, leading to one of many small arguments he had with Kikwang, who would always shrugged the matter off. She isn't complaining, why are you? With only those six words, a fight erupted and they didn’t talk for weeks.

 

“I’m sorry too. So anyway, what are you doing here in Japan?” He asked, quickly diverting away from the original conversation. There was no point on digging something he already knew, for now, he was just glad he got to meet her again.

 

 

“Uhm, I’m furthering my study here.”

“Wow, really? Congratulations, noona! Wait, you scored the scholarship. Am I right?”

“Yes, I did. How did ...?”

“You told me about it so many times, my ears practically bled. Have you forgotten, grandma?”

 

 

“Oh yeah I –– Hey! I’m not a grandma, you fake Arab prince.” She broke into laughter and smacked him in the head, which lead to a series of playful wrestling until they almost toppled in their chairs. They laughed some more before holding each other’s hands, sighed with renew contentment and hugged each other. “I miss you, Woonie,” she patted his back.

 

“I miss you too, noona.” He squeezed her before settling back in his seat once again, and he looked at her. Her smile touched her eyes this time, and he knew she meant it. “Where’s Daehyun? I miss that furball!”

 

“School, which also means I should be going now or I’ll be late to pick him up. You know his little tantrums,” Hyosung reached for her crutches and Dongwoon immediately take hold of her items when he saw her struggling to stand up.

 

“It’s okay, Woonie. I can manage,” She stopped him but he was already on his feet with her items in his hand. She wouldn’t think he’d let her walk alone in that condition, did she? “Just, let me help please. As a punishment for your ankle.” He said when he saw the frown on her face.

 

“Woonie ...” she started again, but Dongwoon cut her off. “Please, noona. Let me help. I ... I want to see Daehyun too. I really do miss him,” his voice fell to a whisper, his head bowed.

 

He heard her sighed in defeat and he knew he won. Dongwoon did a little victory cheer inside, knowing that she could never resist his childish pleads, and smiled brilliantly at her when she rolled her eyes and started walking. Or hobbled.

 

 


 


 

 

Where is she? Jonghoon checked the time and he was starting to get worried. She was supposed to pick up Daehyun ten minutes ago; luckily he was nearby when the class ended. Daehyun’s ear-deafening happy scream filled the air when he ran across the field, Minhwan hot on his trail. Minhwan had become his loyal companion ever since he started to develop a crush on Hyosung, knowing that she was always with him nowadays. Minhwan too was getting very fond of Daehyun and he had been the one who play with him all day long whenever he got the opportunity to.

 

“Daehyun-ah, be careful with your steps!” Jonghoon yelled from a far as he watched him circling the playground, now a game of hide and seek with Minhwan. A sudden sound of footsteps startled him, and he whirled to see ... her. He rolled his eyes and turned back around, ignoring the presence that was nearing him and leaned back on the bench.

 

“So you’re a baby-sitter now?” She chuckled next to him, and he felt his muscles tensed.

“What do you want, Sakura?” He asked harshly, his facial expression taut. Her name felt bitter in his mouth.

 

“Oh, touché. Can’t an old friend say hi?” He could sense her smiling when she replied. He simply glared at her and stood up when she came around and sat next to him. “Jonghoon, please don’t walk away from me ...” She pleaded, sudden desperation in her voice.

 

“Funny, you’re the one who taught me how.” He left her without turning back and walked away. “Boys, let’s get going. Now,” He yelled to the two boys who were still chasing around the playground. He could hear her calling out his name. Once, twice and then it was gone. He didn’t need to look back to know that she left.

 

“Hyung, was that ... Sakura-noona?” Minhwan asked with Daehyun on his back while running closer to him. Jonghoon just shrugged it off, and Minhwan took it as a yes.

 

“Hyung, Daehyun hungry. Daehyun want food,” Daehyun sulked as they walked out of the playground. The sky was already painted red, and he knew it was almost time for dinner. Where is she?

 

“Here, eat some candies first,” Jonghoon took out Skittles from his front pocket and offered it to him, but Daehyun refused.

 

“Noona said no candy before dinner ...” Daehyun frowned, but he could see the desire in his eyes as he stared at the candies.

 

Shush. You can have this, but don’t tell noona all right? It’s our little secret,” He put a finger on his lips and winked at Daehyun, whose face lit up and smiled widely. “Promise?” Jonghoon linked his pinky finger with Daehyun’s and chuckled.

 

“Promise! Hyung is the best!” Daehyun cheered up once the candies were safely chewed in his chubby mouth. Kids will be kids. A packet of Skittles later, they were almost home when the ringtone he set for her blared off from his pocket.

 

“Where have you been? Yes, he’s with me. Daehyun, say hi to noona,” He put the phone near to Daehyun, long enough for him to scream out her name before getting back on. “Are you all right? What? You sprained your ankle again? Where are you? I’ll be right there! No need? You are here? Where?

 

Thinking that she was only trying to ease his worry, he was about to make his move when he heard laughter from a far and a dark silhouette appeared at the corner. There she was, being piggy-backed by a stranger, with her crutches on both sides and her bag on her back.

 

“Noona, you should really lose some weight. I’m ... dying ...” the stranger’s voice sounded strangled, and Jonghoon laughed at his comment. You're dead meat, boy. And he was right. Just right then, Hyosung gave quite a blow to the stranger’s head, causing him to stagger forward, almost falling over but he managed to stand up right again. “Noona, stop it! This is violence to human rights! I can report you ... to the authority!” the stranger grunted as they got closer.

 

“Say that again, and I’ll whack you with these. You copy?” Hyosung warned sternly as she lifted the crutches to the stranger’s face.

 

“Okay, okay. Geez, you and your little tempers will never get old would it?” The stranger mumbled back, his face distorted in pain from the previous blow.

 

“No, and shush it. We’re almost there. Ah, Jonghoon!” Hyosung face immediately lit up when she saw him, and she hit the stranger’s back to make him quickened his pace to get to them. Jonghoon shook his head, witnessing how childish Hyosung could get and laughed as the stranger put her down, heaving heavily.

 

 “DongDong-hyung!” Daehyun screeched from behind and Jonghoon was pushed flat against the wall when he ran to the stranger. Daehyun know this guy? I thought we're the only ones ... Jonghoon looked at Hyosung questioningly, and she let out a light sigh.

 

“Long story, I’ll tell you later.” Hyosung winced when she hobbled closer to him, and Jonghoon immediately stopped her and swept her off her feet which caused Hyosung to squeal from his sudden action. “You’re injured, don’t make it worse,” He said simply, ignoring her protest and brought her inside her apartment after fumbling with the keys. He could hear the ‘ooh’s from the boys but he chose to ignore it.

 

“Stay put, I’ll go get some ice,” he was about to stand up when Hyosung pulled him back down to the sofa next to her.

 

“There’s no need. My foot is fine, just a little swollen. Other than that, it’s fine. Stop fussing, grandpa,” Hyosung punched him in the arm and turned to the stranger and motioned him to sit down. Daehyun pulled him eagerly to the sofa and sat on his lap, and Minhwan tagged along with dissatisfaction pasted on his face.

 

“Daehyun-ah, you completely ignore hyung after you meet him. You’re making hyung sad here,” Minhwan puffed his cheeks at Daehyun who giggled and squirmed closer to the stranger whom he came to know as Dongwoon.

 

“Guys, this is Dongwoon. Woonie, this is Jonghoon and Minhwan. With that done, I’ll be excusing myself now as I need to shower as I stink, no thanks to someone. Give me ten minutes. Laters!” With that, Hyosung hobbled quickly to her room before Jonghoon could protest, and left them in the living room.

 

“I’m Son Dongwoon. Just call me Dongwoon or Woon, or however you wish.” Dongwoon shook both Minhwan and his hands firmly, and Jonghoon couldn’t shake the feeling that he had seen this man somewhere.

 

“OH! Y-You’re from that group. Uhm, what are you guys called ... oh yeah, BEAST!” Minhwan jumped to his feet and pointed at him. Ah, that's right. That famous Korean idol group. How could he forget? Practically most of his female friends were swooning over them. “You’re the ... Arab Prince right? Woah, Hyosung-noona knows you but she never said a thing about it!” Minhwan looked back at Jonghoon in awe, his mouth a perfect O.

 

“I guess you can say that but really, any friend of noona is a friend of mine so please don’t treat me any different,” Dongwoon chuckled shyly when Minhwan grabbed his hand to shake it again as if marvelling some precious gem.

 

“Don’t sweat, we won’t,” Jonghoon said with a smile as he took out some fizzy drinks from the fridge for their guest. “I’m sorry for the lack of ... preparations, apparently Hyosung didn’t tell us about you coming over,” He poured the drink and watch as it fizzed in between the ice before handing it over to Dongwoon.

 

“Nah, it’s okay. I didn’t expect to see her myself. I really don’t ...” Dongwoon shook his head in disbelief, his voice fell to a whisper and he chuckled lightly, as if lost in his own thoughts.

 

“May I ask what your relationship with her is?” Jonghoon sat down across Dongwoon, relief flood his throat as the cold drink trickled down. “Her boyfriend?” he was surprised with the little jealousy in his tone.

 

“Boyfriend? No, I’m not,” he laughed and gave him a ridiculous look before continuing. “Well, noona is a very special person to me. To all of us actually. Heck, it’s a long story and it’s ... complicated,” Dongwoon scratched his head.

 

“We’re all eared up,” Jonghoon drank the last bit of orange juice and lean further in the sofa. “Us ...?” He tilted his head in confusion.

 

“Yes, us – my members and me. I’m sorry but I don’t think I have the right to tell you about it, judging from the deathly glare she’s directing to me, so I’ll stop right there,” Dongwoon made a zipping motion to his mouth and bowed slightly to him.

 

Sure enough, Hyosung was standing at the door frame and throwing daggers his way. If only looks could kill, he thought as she hobbled towards the sofa and sat next to him. And then everything was too quiet, too still and he knew the situation got serious. He motioned Minhwan to take Daehyun away from the place right away.

 

“Woonie, please. Don’t ever bring it up, again. I didn’t purposely leave that behind for nothing,” She glanced at Dongwoon, and Jonghoon could detect the upset tone in her voice. She wasn’t just upset, she was mad judging from the way she bunched her fist on the sofa cover. “I’ve moved on, and that was my past. Leave it be.” Her voice strained.

 

“Leave it be? Really noona? Then why are you still wearing that locket?” Dongwoon pointed to the locket resting on her chest, his brows furrowed. Okay, the situation is getting too serious now. Before he could open up his mouth to stop the argument, Hyosung stood up and thumped the table with her fists.

 

“Why does it matter even if I do? It won’t change a thing, Woonie. I’m not going back,” Hyosung fired back, her voice shaking.

 

“It does matter because it means you’re still thinking of him. Ever since you left us, everything changed. He changed. He realized his mistake now, and I think ... I think you need to see him. He have been searching for you non-stop, noona,” Dongwoon said, running a hand through his hair.

 

“No.” She bit out. She was clearly mad now, he could tell.

 

“Noona, please ...” Dongwoon pleaded.

 

“Stop it, Dongwoon. Just ... stop it,” Her voice cracked and she stubbornly wiped away a few tears that escaped her eyes and looked away. “Please leave.” She choked through her words as more tears washed down her cheeks, and he covered her hand with his to comfort her. It broke his heart to see her crying again.

 

“N-noona ... I’m sorry. I didn’t mean ...” His words was cut off immediately when Jonghoon raised his other hand, motioning him to stop. He didn’t want this to get any worse than it already had. He stood up and pulled Dongwoon off the sofa and led him out the door, and Dongwoon just complied, leaving the now sobbing Hyosung behind. He seemed dazed, probably from the sudden outburst from both sides.

 

“Dude, look. I’m not trying to meddle myself with this problem, but I think you should stop making her dwell on what happened for now. Give her time, all right? She’ll come around sooner,” Jonghoon patted Dongwoon on the back and lead him to the elevator.

 

“Ugh, what did I just do? Gikwang-hyung will kill me if he knows about this,” Dongwoon bunched his hair, his head hung low. “I just ... I just ... want to ...” he stumbled over his words and groaned.

 

“Let’s just give her more time, and probably you can try again. She was probably still shocked to see you here. Here, take my number and I’ll keep you up to date about her condition. All right?” He assured Dongwoon, who only nodded and was about to enter the elevator when Daehyun screamed out to him.

 

“DongDong-hyung! Where are you going? You not staying?” Daehyun held on to his legs tightly; tears were already b in his eyes. Dongwoon sighed and picked him up, and hugged him tight. “Furball, DongDong can’t stay today. I’m sorry. But I promise you I’ll come again next time all right? Daehyun-ah, take care of noona today. Please? Tell noona that DongDong is really sorry.”

 

Dongwoon hugged Daehyun a little longer and Jonghoon felt like he invaded their personal privacy and it made him realize that they must had been extremely close back in Korea. It suddenly pained him to see them like this; Daehyun held on to Dongwoon’s shirt as he boarded the elevator, screaming for him not to leave him alone and he cried his lungs out when the door shut closed.

 

Daehyun was still wailing when he brought him back into Hyosung’s house, and Minhwan had to pull him away when Daehyun started to hit Hyosung, screaming "Noona bad! Daehyun hate noona!’ non-stop. His heart wrenched when she just sat there when Daehyun hit her, one tear after another rolled down her cheeks as she bear with his tantrum, like she always would. Once Minhwan successfully carried Daehyun out of the house, Jonghoon sat quietly on the kitchen stool and let her sobbed more; he knew better than to comfort her when she clearly didn’t want anyone to.

 

It was only when she sunken her knees to the floor, hardly able to breathe with tears did he went to her and wrapped his arms around her, hoping that it would protect and comfort her – it was a ritual that hadn’t died even after all the years that had gone by. It went on for a good ten minutes; her tears soaked through his shirt but he didn’t care as he continued on rocking her body back and forth, and then he started humming to their lullaby until she fell asleep in his arms moments later.

 

Jonghoon carried the small body of hers to her bed and pulled the cover over her before switching off the light. The dim light from the living room peeked through the door, and he could see how worn out she was from crying — her breath was still hitching in her sleep. What can I do to ease your pain, Hyosung? He sighed deeply and smoothed his thumb gently across her cheek, and stood up to leave when he felt a tug on his hand.

 

“Please don’t go ...” She whispered and tightened her hold on his hand. She sat up slowly on her bed and stared at him hard, and it seemed like an eternity before she spoke again. “If you’re really my shupa-man, then please don’t go ...”

 

He sat frozen to the spot.

 

“You promised ...” She choked on her words as she bunched his shirt and he heard sobbed. Or was it him? He couldn’t tell, not with his heart beating wildly against his ribs. How did she ...? He felt warm liquid pooling at the corner of his eyes, and he sunk to his knees beside her bed, his eyes never leaving her. They stared at each other for what seemed like forever before she smiled down sadly at him.

 

“I know,” she said as she stared at him and brought her fingers to his forehead, her thumb softly caressed the faint crescent-like scar and he felt like as if he was hit by a comet – he was hurled into a sea of emotion that shook his entire being; happy, shocked, starled, everything. He did what his mind told him to – he immediately wrapped his arms around her, pulled her against his chest and cried into her hair.

 

And he knew his lost princess was back into his life for real now.

 

 


 


 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

 

Hi everyone! I'm sorry for the month long hiatus. I've been very busy with a lot of things that I need to handle lately, like dealing with my Degree application and such, and I can only manage to continue on writing when I have some times spared. Forgive me, for those who've been messaging me that they're waiting for my update! I'm really sorry! *bows down.

 

As a token of appreciation for those who continues on reading and waiting, I'll be updating at least another two chapters this week alone. I hope that'll make up for my absence :(

 

 

Thanks again!

*bear hug everyone.