The Escape - Part I

[INDEFINITE HIATUS] Back To Memories

 


Well I'm terrified of these four walls
These iron bars can't hold my soul in
All I need is you
Come please I'm callin'
And oh I scream for you
Hurry I'm fallin', I'm fallin'

Nickelback's Savin' Me.

 


 

 

 

“No!”

 

Kikwang’s lids snapped opened at the sound of her strangled voice, his vision blurred as his pupil tried to regain focus in the dim lit room. He shook his head and focused on the writhing form not far from him, tossing and turning.

 

“Omma!”

 

He knew Hyosung was having nightmare again as he heard her growled in anguish; she was fighting in her dreams, her breathing became increasingly agitated. The same dream she would had when something troubled her – the accident, the death of her parents, the abusive moments.

 

He wanted to reach out and cradle her in his arms until she could calm down but he knew he couldn’t in his state; the mere chain was holding him back so he continued struggling against the metal cuffs that chained him to the wall, twisting and pulling against it, creating new fresh cuts where the metal bit deeper into his skin. But it was slowly working though, and his hands were halfway through the cuff. He winced every single time his wounds brushed against the metal, but he continued on. He needed to.

 

“Hyosung ...” Kikwang croaked, his parched throat almost defied any sound made. “It’s going to be okay, baby. You’re going to be okay.” He whispered, mentally calming himself down in the process. But of course she wouldn’t hear it, with the sedative Sakura injected into her, he doubt it. Why would she do that, it baffled him because Hyosung was obviously wasn’t struggling. Revenge, perhaps? Who knew, but what he knew now was he needed to get out of there.

 

They needed to get out of there, but how?

He didn’t even know where they were.

 

 


 

 

 

Jonghoon sat on the bench, his back against the wall, eyes closed and he tried to shut every possible noise out of his head – he was tired, mentally and physically. Sitting on the same spot where he had been most of the time for the past four days wasn’t helping either, with the investigators questioning him with something he couldn’t give the answer to; just the thoughts of Sakura might get her hands on them kept jumping in and out of his mind, nothing else. No matter how much he hated Kikwang for his guts, he was still worried for his well-being.

 

“Why don’t you go take a walk or have something to eat, young man?” He opened up his eyes to find a middle-aged officer, offering him a sympathy smile. Jonghoon shook his head. He needed to be there when they found … just anything. “You have done more than enough for now. Go.” The officer insisted. Jonghoon sighed and complied. It might be a good idea, to take the entire burden off his head just for a moment. Beside, being trapped in door for long hours suffocated him.

 

 A blast of cold wind welcomed him across the face as he stepped in the street, instantly sending chills to his very bone. Winter is slowly kicking in; the temperature dropped startlingly, and the sky had been nothing but painted grey throughout the days. Are you feeling what I’m feeling…? He looked up a grey sky sadly and zipped up the front jacket all the way up, bundling from the cold.

 

And he was back to square one, not knowing of her where-about again.

 

 

*flashback*

 

After much persuasion, CL agreed to bring him to Hyosung’s house. He tried calling Kikwang but to no avail, figuring that he needed time to cool himself down, so the two headed there without him. Countless of knocks and multiple fail phone calls to reach Hyosung later, Jonghoon started to get restless again.

 

“Are you sure she’s not out of town?” He asked, peeking through the window glass.

“I don’t think so. She’ll have a morning shift tomorrow, and if I know her well, she would be in bed by now.” CL looked at him worriedly with her phone attached to her ear. “I don’t know why, but I don’t feel good about this.”

 

“Something is up. I can feel it. Don’t you have spare keys?” He the knob, and the door opened with a loud creak. “It isn’t lock. How funny is that?” CL looked at him, confused; obviously she didn’t get his sarcasm. He huffed in annoyance and stepped inside but was hold back by CL.

 

“Are you crazy? That’s trespassing!” CL exclaimed, throwing him a glare.

 

“Yeah, I am.” He pulled free of her hold and walked inside. He walked from room to room, which took him less than a minute, further shows how small the house was. Despite the new paints on the wall and a few obvious fixing, the house was clearly close to being broken. How could they live in this house?

 

He inspected it further; there wasn’t any sign of struggle as most of the stuffs still intact except the kitchen, if he could call it one. It looked like it was hit by a storm with practically everything being flung all over the area. Robbery? Can’t be.

 

“Something is going on here. Knowing Hyosung, she would never leave her house like this.” Jonghoon turned to CL, who was peeking from the living room. “We need to make a police report.”

 

“We can’t. It hasn’t been 24 hours yet since the last time they saw her.” She stated, picking up a familiar looking item. Daehyun’s insulin syringe! He strutted towards her and grabbed it, his heart skipped another beat. “She definitely wouldn’t simply put this around!”

 

“W-what do we do now?” CL’s worried eyes roamed over his face. Her words registered in his brain but he just couldn’t think of how to respond.

 

“Police. Now.”

 

*flashback ends*

 

 

Loud growl from his tummy startled him out his reverie so he continued walking to the nearest ddubboki stall. As he chewed on the spicy rice cake, his thought flew to Hyosung again – both Daehyun and her loved ddubboki. He sighed again in an increasing frustration and decided to pay without finishing them, and just walked anywhere his two feet took him. He plugged in his earphones and turned up the music, in hoping it would somehow ease the feelings away. He took out Kikwang’s wallet out that they found laying around not far from Hyosung’s house and just stare at it, for the thousandth time perhaps, he lost count. Dear God, please let them be safe.

 

A few minutes later, as he was about to enter the investigator department back at the police building, Jonghoon remembered about his phone and took it out. The battery was flat. , no wonder there wasn’t any rings! He quickly searched for a plug nearby and waited impatiently for the phone to turn on again. Go figure. 40 missed calls, all from Hongki, which he chose to ignore. That idiot had been bugging him non-stop since all of them arrived in Korea after hearing the news, wanting to help with the search. His phone rang again.

 

“If you don’t stop calling me …” His scream was cut short by the familiar voice. Kikwang’s.

 

“Shut up and just listen … my battery is dying.” Kikwang voice strained through the phone, his breathing ragged and weak. “Sakura got us. Daehyun and Hyosung too. Get the police and track down our location. Hurry, we don’t have enough time!”

 

“Inspector Han! H-He’s on the phone right now!” Jonghoon scrambled to investigator team as fast as he could, heart beating rapidly. The calm room went chaotic within seconds as they connected his phone to the computer, doing whatever things on it, tracking down Kikwang location most probably when he saw the map of Korea appeared on the screen.  “Hold on, Kikwang.”

 

“Daehyun’s doing fine but … Hyosung is not.” Jonghoon could feel bile rose up to his throat at the information. “Hur …” and the line went dead.

 

“Damn it!” Jonghoon slammed his fist onto the wall. The old officer came next to him and patted him, again offering a sympathy look and was about to speak out when one of the investigators made an announcement.

 

“Got it. Sir, they’re currently in Busan.”

 

 

 


 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

 

Firstly, please do throw stuffs-that-won't-bring-any-major-injury stuffs to me for not updating for months. I really have no excuse but a busy term and suffering from writer's block for months. I will keep opening my story but will only end up writing one line per day. YES, ONE LINE PER DAY. And sometimes per week.  That is how bad my writer's block is. It is not that I have no ideas coming in, because I have TONS. I just ... don't know what to put first you know? You'll get excited to write this but then something comes along and you decided to write that and another thing comes along as well ... and everything just gets so messed up. *cries.

 

Secondly, sorry for the short y (yes it is, I think it really . I'm so sorry. Ergh! *pulls hair) update despite the freaking neolitic long hiatus. I will be updating again tomorrow until Friday, then I'll be gone again until god knows when. I'm really sorry! :(