Growing Cold

[INDEFINITE HIATUS] Back To Memories

 

 

Fear and panic in the air,

I want to be free from desolation and despair,

And I feel like everything I sow,

Is being swept away, well I refused to let you go,

I can't get it right,

Get it right since I met you.

 

— MUSE's Map of the Problematique.

 

 

 

 


 

 

Hyosung almost stumbled down upon arriving hastily at Daehyun’s class – she was ten minutes late! She was so engrossed in her discussion with Professor Yamasaki about the Human Civilisation topic, she had forgotten completely about fetching Daehyun.

 

“Baby, I am so sorry!” She knelt down and hugged Daehyun, and was taken aback that he didn’t throw tantrums at her. She pulled back to find him smiling and then pinching her cheeks while at it.

 

“You’re not angry. Why aren’t you angry?” She asked. As ridiculous as it sounded, it was really unlike Daehyun to not throw tantrums. He would even she was a minute late, but not today. It was unlike him. She put the back of her hand on his forehead. “You aren’t sick. Why are you not angry? Honey, you’re creeping noona out.”

 

“Pretty noona buy Daesung ice-cream!” He said cheerfully.

 

“Pretty noona ...?” She looked at him, confused. “Miss Nanako?”

 

“No no! Pretty noona!” He exclaimed.

 

“Pretty noona ... honey, how many times have I told you not to talk to strangers?” Hyosung asked in concern. Daehyun just pouted to her and shrugged. “Daehyun, I am serious. Don’t talk to strangers, please. Do you love me?”

 

“Daehyun love noona!” He almost wailed and hugged her neck tightly. Hyosung chuckled at his reaction.

 

“I love you too, sunshine. Promise me that you won’t talk to that stranger again okay?” She put out her pinky finger and he joined his to hers and nodded.

 

“See, my Daehyun’s a good boy. Now let’s go home. I’ll buy you one more ice-cream as my punishment for being late, okay?” Hand in hand, they left his classroom and exit the college compound, without any lingering thought about the ‘pretty noona’ he was talking about. Yet.

 

But apparently the ‘pretty noona’ appeared again the next day, and the following day too, showering Daehyun with numerous toys and buying him ice-cream. He was of course very happy with it, forgetting what he promised her instantly like he always did, while she on the other hand started to freak out. She suddenly feared for his safety; the one thing that she buried resurfaced after their days living with adopted father from hell ended.

 

“Honey, if the pretty noona comes again, please don’t go with her. All right?” She told him when she dropped him off at his class.

 

“But Daehyun likes pretty noona. Pretty noona kind!” He pouted.

 

“Honey listen to noona, please. I don’t even know who this pretty noona is, and I have told you so many times to stay away from strangers. Didn’t I?” She replied.

 

“But ...” He tried to protest but Hyosung cut him off.

 

“No buts and that is final. From today onwards I’ve requested Miss Nanako to look after you until I come so you can play with her. She is a pretty noona too, isn’t she?” She ruffled his hair. He seemed uncertain but nodded anyway. She kissed his forehead and waited until he entered his class before waving him goodbye. She was getting more cautious of letting him out of her sight now.

 

She was re-arranging Daehyun’s stuff in his schoolbag that night when a piece of what envelope dropped out of his bag, and she checked out only to find out it was a picture of Jonghoon. A date on it stated it was from two years back, nothing else. Strange. Why would he give Daehyun a picture of him? She inspect the picture more and realized it was actually cut meticulously into half, totally cutting out whoever was beside him together, leaving only a happy looking Jonghoon smiling back at her.

 

What are you smiling at? She stuck out her tongue at it and gave it several punches before putting it back in. She lifted Daehyun slowly in her arms and tucked him into bed and made her way to the balcony. She rubbed her neck tiredly and sighed, wiggling herself deeper into the comfortable cushion on the swing with one leg tucked underneath the other.  She winded her music box and let the soft melody filled her senses and her lips curled upward when she felt her stress slowly sipping out, replaced by unspoken tranquillity.

 

“Princess ...?”

 

Her eyes snapped open at the mention of her name; only one person would call her that.

 

“Jonghoon ...?”

 

She heard the sound of sliding door opening, and then it was quiet. She called out his name again, but was answered with silence. Why is he trying so hard to avoid me? She felt her anger flared. She was tired of it. Fine, be that way then. She was about to sit back on the swing when her doorbell rung. Could it be ...?

 

Yeap, it was him all right. She was welcomed with his sheepish face at the door and they stood there awkwardly, him shuffling his feet and her rubbing her arms. She heard him sigh and the next thing she knew, he grabbed her hand and tugged her inside, and out to the balcony. He ushered her to sit on the swing as he pulled Daehyun’s small stool and sat down facing her.

 

“I’m sorry ...” His voice was soft and gentle, and the look on his face made it hard for her to remain angry at him.

 

“I’m sorry too ...” She bit down her lips and their eyes met; she could see the genuinity in his eyes. Her guess was right then when he nodded; she did somehow hurt his feelings. She wanted to ask him what she did wrong but it was best to not dwell on it further, and she just wanted to rejoice this moment. They sat there in silence again and she could see him smiling, a genuine one this time, and she did the same.

 

“Hello stranger. I’m Jeon Hyosung. What’s your name?” She teased.

 

“Why hello there too, stranger. I’m Choi Jonghoon. Pleasure,” He took her and shook it firmly, and then they burst out laughing but Hyosung stopped both of them before they got too loud and woke up Daehyun.

 

And just like that, she knew they were back to normal; Jonghoon started to again, calling her midget, her giving him the usual power punches, joking how her dark roots are showing on her purple hair that gave him the impression of a grape.

 

“Hey, I have an early class tomorrow so I better get going,” He nudged her and smiled when she nudged her back.

 

“Yeah, me too. And Jonghoon, I’m really glad we are okay now. I miss you,” She stared at him and he threw her an apologetic look.

 

“Yeah, I miss you too. I’m sorry for acting that way. I won’t do that again, I swear,” He hugged her, and she felt warmth spreading all over her heart when he did it. She missed his hugs as well. “Oh, before I forget. Here. Front seat tickets for the music fest next week, just so you and Daehyun can throw bottles at us if we happen to at it.” She laughed.

 

“I have one question though. Why did you give Daehyun your picture but I don’t get any? It is so obvious now who is your favourite, you know,” she pouted playfully. She figured out he must had forgotten about it when he raised his brows at her. She went to get it and handed it over to him and she saw his expression changed; surprised and angry.

 

Where did you get this?” His voice hard and he stared at her, wide-eyed.

 

“Uhm, I found it in Daehyun’s bag ...? I thought you gave it to him, that is why ...” She was unable to finish her sentences when he cut her off, holding both of her shoulders firmly and stared deep into her eyes.

 

“Hyosung, I have something to tell you and I want you to listen to me intently. Understand?” She suddenly felt goosebumps all over her skin when he started to unfold his story about a girl name Sakura – his long time ex-girlfriend. Or should she call her a psychotic ex-girlfriend? She felt herself trembled listening to what he had to say further.

 

“Please, I beg of you, please don’t go out alone from now on. Get any of us to accompany you, or Kikwang for that matter. Just don’t go out alone. And we can take turns in fetching Daehyun, just in case you’ll be late to fetch him. All right?” He squeezed her trembling fingers and sighed. “I’m sorry again for causing you this trouble.”

 

“It’s okay, I guess. I’ve been through this before,” She smiled sadly when he looked at her in confusion, so she showed him the scar. Hidden underneath her long fringe, situated above her left eye brow, a faint crescent-like scar could be seen. His eyes widen to the discovery, smoothing his thumb over it. “Yeah, Kikwang’s ‘sasaeng’ fans can get really scary sometimes.”

 

“My god. They did this to you?” A mixture of anger and shock flitted across his face as he smoothed his thumb over her scar, and she nodded timidly. “Did you sue them?”

 

“I can’t because they were minors back then, but their family did compensate by paying for my medical bills,” She answered. “Besides, I didn’t want the matter to get too big. It would affect his career, you know.”

 

“Goodness, Hyosung. How could you even think of that when your life was in danger?” He gritted his teeth.

 

“It’s okay, Jonghoon. Anyway, it is in the past now. Let’s just drop it, all right?” She managed a brave smile, although inside she was still shaken by the thought of it. She squeezed his hand and shot him a reassuring smile.He squeezed his eyes and sighed heavily, and nodded.

 

“All right. Just remember what I said. Starting tomorrow, we’ll get back to our normal routine okay?” He stood up and side by side, they walked to her door. They said their goodnights and Jonghoon made sure she locked her grills properly before she shut the door behind her.

 

That night, she tossed and turned as worry washed all over her. For the first time, she couldn’t sleep properly even with the music from the music box filled her room.

 

That night, she slept with the light on.

 

 



 

 

“Is that clear, all of you?” Jonghoon asked. He immediately woke up the entire house right after he came back from Hyosung’s, spilling the details on what he discovered. Sakura was stalking again, and this time her target was Hyosung.

 

“Damn, if only I can get my hands on her!” Minhwan boomed in the living room, causing Seunghyun to jolt awake at his outburst. “Y-yeah! Get my hands on her ... on h-he ... h-h-heh ...” Seunghyun managed to incoherently sleep-talk, before his eyes shut once again, snoring in a matter of seconds.

 

“We should be extra careful now. Honestly I couldn’t care less about what happened to your past girlfriends seeing how bimbotic they acted, but this time, it means business. If she lay even a single finger on Hyosung, I’ll make sure to break hers with my kungfu!” Hongki exclaimed, mimicking a rather fail impression of Bruce Lee.

 

“Hyung, you be careful too. Hyosung might be her target, but don’t forget that you are too. Don’t worry all right? We got each other’s back, remember?” Jaejin patted his back, and after much discussion, they decided to call it a night when the clock one.

 

He couldn’t sleep well that night.

 

 



 

 

“All right. I’ll try to drop by tonight but I can’t promise you that, okay? I’m sorry but I’ve got to go now. I love you. No, I love you more. Nu-uh, I love you most! Bye!” Snickering, he hung up his phone before Hyosung could answer him. It had only been three days, and like always, he was already missing her so badly.

 

Kikwang was admiring the rather impressive painting up on the wall at the K Music Station when he heard a clicking sound of high heels coming towards him, and he turned around to see a smiling Min. Her red hair was done rather impressively by the stylists; she wore a rather tight leather clothing that exposed a little of her belly and cleavage.

 

“Wow, you look hotter than the last time we met!” Min came up beside him giddily but he made sure they were not too close by stepping a few feet back. He saw her frowned but he ignored it. Way to spoil his good mood. He started walking away before he felt a tug on his arm and he whirled around to release himself from her hold.

 

“Unbelievable. You really are getting on my nerve, you know that Lee Kikwang? Don’t tell me you’re resisting this!” She smoothed her hands from the shoulder down to her thighs, posing a rather awkward y move, as if it was hard for her to breath. Yeap, that is too tight. He managed to ratchet up the incredulousness in his expression, because she actually got kind of embarrassed-looking.

 

“Excuse me, miss but you are spoiling the beauty of the amazing art behind you.” He said icily. “Now if you may excuse me, I have some talk show to attend.” He walked passed her, ignoring the yelp that came when he accidentally bumped her aside.

 

“You ... you ... you! You’ll pay for this! Look at what you did to my poor heels! Oh my god, someone help. It’s broken!” Her wails faded into the background as he walked further away, which was a relief. The mere sound of her voice irked the heck out of him.

 

“Catch!” Dongwoon urged him when he pushed the door open and the water bottle almost hit him in the face. “Ooops, sorry!” He apologized when Kikwang glared at him. They would be on air in two hours time so the resting room was full with activities; Doojoon was drooling in his sleep while the their stylist took care of his hair, Junhyung on the phone, Yoseob kicking soccer ball around with their managers, and Hyunseung being Hyunseung, danced in the corner, popping and break-dancing and everything.

 

“Hyung, what’s up? You don’t look good.” Dongwoon came up beside him on the couch and he let out a loud sigh. He plucked off his earpiece and carefully ran his fingers on his already made up hair, scratching it.

 

“Min.” He simply said and Dongwoon quickly took acknowledge of it. All of s knew about his past with Min; they were furious at first but eventually understood that anything done under the heavy influence of alcohol was unavoidable. He was ashamed of it, even to the extent of hating himself after it happened but there was no turning back. What happened, happened.

 

“Have you ... told Hyosung-noona about it yet?” Dongwoon asked.

 

“No. I just ... couldn’t bring myself to tell her,” He answered and sighed again. “The thought of hurting her again just put the idea off.”

 

“I know that it is hard, but with Min being back, you can’t afford to keep it a secret long. We all know how she is like. News will spread like wildfire if she opens up . Think about it, hyung.” Dongwoon patted his hand and his head fell back onto the couch. “I hate seeing Hyosung-noona getting hurt too, but it is better that she knows about it from you instead from someone else. You know that too, don’t you?”

 

“Yeah. I will try. Thanks Dongwoon. Oh yeah, Daehyun have been asking for you a lot lately. I think maybe you want to tag along with me later...?” He said sheepishly, hinting that he wanted him to be there too. He was determined; he was going to tell her tonight but he just needed someone to just ... be there when he confessed it. Yes, call him a coward because he was actually being one.

 

He was going to tell her no matter what the consequences it.

Even though it was killing him inside.

 

 



 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

 

Hi everyone, again!

 

Sorry this is a short update. Currently, my brain isn't processing well and I just can't seem to find the right words/ideas when I wrote this. Yes, I just finish writing it as I speak/write/whatever/lol.

 

I'm sorry for the lack of KiSung moments, but I'll make it up to you in the next chapter. But I can't assure you it'll be a happy one though, and I think you might already get the hint from that last paragraph itself, right? So anyway, we'll see about it!

 

Thanks for all the new subcribers, and my loyal readers. What would I do without you?

*big big big big bear hug.

 

 

Bye!

<3

 

 

 

PS:

 

I miss SECRET so badly.

I miss BEAST so badly.

I miss B.A.P so badly.

I miss INFINITE so badly.

 

Please come back ASAP, I can't take it anymoreeeee!

*le cries a river of Nile.

*pulls hair out in exaggeration mode.