Awakened Memories

[INDEFINITE HIATUS] Back To Memories

 

 

"That explains all the spring-cleaning fuss Miss Ayaka had been going about for weeks." Lee Hongki pointed out to the moving van not far from their usual hang-out spot. Choi Jong Hoon studied it lazily for a mere second before shrugging it off, and continued strumming his guitar. People come and go in their neighbourhood; he couldn't be bothered to get to know who is who.

 

"Dude, focus. Our competition is next week, and we still haven't perfected this piece." Jong Hoon was on the brink of strangling him, already annoyed the fact the rest of the members weren't there yet, and Hongki distracting him every single minute wasn't helping.

 

"Where's your manner, man?" Hongki dashed off in an instance, not even waiting for Jong Hoon's reply, and was already shaking hands with their new neighbour. He could feel heat flowing to his face and it took every will of him to not to burst on the spot. I’m cool, I’m calm, and I’m collected. His calming mantra never fails to work, and he was back to normal in a matter of seconds.

 

He studied his new neighbour from a far who turned out to be a woman; her long wavy dark hair fell right below her shoulder, and her milky white skin contrasted against her black loose sweater. Seeing how petite she was, probably around five three? He couldn't see her face as her back was to him, and her hair was in the way. Funny, why am I curious about her? He shook his head and look at his watch, and the boys were really late. I’m going to kill them.

 

Seething, he picked up his guitar and was already on his feet, making his way to where Hongki was. "Dude, she's Korean!" Hongki made a little happy dance around the lady, causing her to burst into giggles. Jong Hun rolled his eyes, and walked past them, accidentally bumping into her. He instantly bowed to apologize, and was on his feet again, leaving them to cool of his anger.

 

"I'm sorry, he's not in a good mood today. Forgive me," Hongki's loud voice could be heard loud and clear even you're miles away, if he can exaggerate. Jong Hoon ignored them and plug in his earphones, and walked away faster.

 

I’m cool, I’m calm and I’m collected.

 



 

 

Hours later, all of her items were finally brought up into their new house. She couldn't thank her neighbours enough for helping them, and it was a pleasant coincidence to know that they all are Koreans just like her. At least she and Dae Hyun wouldn't feel that alienated in this completely foreign world, and it was just a matter of time before they would get used to the new environment.

 

Hongki, Minhwan, Seunghyun, Jaejin and that arrogant Jong Hoon  she already memorized their name by heart, like she always would when she got to know new people. She would always cherish the moment when a new bond was made as it was also a sign of love towards someone, be it little. Her world lacked of love ever since she lost her parents, growing up without love being poured over them just like any other kids made them appreciate for every little affection people show them  even if it's the size of a speckle of dust.

 

She studied this new home of theirs for a minute; it was spacious enough for the two of them and she was surprised it was fully furnished. She didn't remember asking for all of these, but was really thankful to Miss Ayaka that everything was there so furniture hunting was officially cancelled off her list. High up in the tenth floor of the condominium, she was also pleased to know they had a balcony that over-looked the busy city of Shibuya. She squinted her eyes to scan the area, trying to recall back which building was her university, the one that Hongki pointed just a while ago. It turned out that they'll be going to the same university as well!

 

Aoyama Gakuin University. She was overjoyed when she received the acceptance letter, and was even more ecstatic to know it was fully sponsored thanks to her excellent grade. Her mood somber when it reminded her of Kikwang; she had been trying to tell him about it, wanted to discuss it with him further but they rarely had the chance to meet up. He was too busy with his superstar life, to squeeze her in his schedule was much of a bother. What used to be hours and hours of phone calls, it was cut down to just five minutes, just asking how she was doing in a bored tone before he hung up, having to continue with his schedule.

 

Hyosung shook her head, and took a deep breath. No, she must not think about him anymore. They’re over and done with. She went back inside and found Dae Hyun sleeping soundly on the couch so she went to grab a blanket for him - he'd throw tantrums if she was to wake him up. Sitting down by his side, she brushed her hand softly on her brother's hair.

 

I promise you, everything will be better here Dae Hyun.

I promise.

 

 


 

 

Jong Hoon was glad when Hongki invited their new neighbour for a small welcoming party at their house, as he could feel his guilt building up as each day passed by with him haven't said a single word of apology for being rude that day. He was too embarrassed to do it on his own too.

 

"I, Choi Jong Hoon, would like to make a sincere apology for my thoughtless behaviour the other day. I, Choi Jong Hoon, pledged to you, Miss Jeon Hyosung, that I'll never act that way again or you have the power to beat me up with the mortar stone."

 

He stood before s, Hyosung and Dae Hyun as he bowed down to the floor formally, which caused an eruption of laughter amongst them. "So, we're good right? You and me?" He stretched his hand towards Hyosung, who grabbed it and giggled as she nodded her head and he let out a huge sigh of relief.

 

They ate, they played game, they talked and Jong Hoon was disturbed with the fact that he couldn't take his eyes of her  something about her fascinated him. She was beautiful, no doubt but it wasn't like he never met any in his life. Was it her bubbly personality? No, he met that a lot too. He just couldn't put his finger on it, but one thing for sure, he felt an instant déjàvu protective instinct when he was near her. As if he knew her from somewhere. The feeling puzzled and scared him at the same time.

 

They sat side by side in silent outside the balcony after the party ended, just enjoying the cool night breeze blowing softly in their hair. The rest of the boys already hit the sack, while Dae Hyun was sleeping soundly on the coach. Another wave of déjàvu hit him when she started to count the stars (which was scarcely there since they live in a large city with lots of sky scrapers) above her; head held up high with one palm under her chin while her other hand pointing to each and every visible stars on the night sky. It reminded him exactly of the little girl he once knew, the one that he missed terribly every now and then.

 

"What are you doing?" He asked her out of terrible curiosity. Come on, Jong Hoon. This is just a coincidence.

 

"Can't you see? I'm counting those stars." Not looking at him, she continued to count them and stopped not long after when she caught him staring so she smiled. "Have it ever cross you that Peter Pan does exist? What? Don"t look at me that way. I still believe in fairy tales, okay?  I'm sorry, that was weird right? I don't know. It"s my source of escape when reality is too much to bear." Her voice came to a whisper, and with that she stopped counting and everything was in silence again.

 

"Hey, look. I'm sorry if I offended you just now ..." He peeked down to look at her, and he realized that she was crying. Oh . What the hell, Jong Hoon. Look what you did! "H-Hey. I'm sorry! Don't cry!"

 

"N-No. I am sorry, it's not your fault. I-I just couldn't stop thinking of this one person no matter how much I try not to. A-And it hurt so bad, so so bad ..." She choked again, and he saw her trying hard to blink her tears away but failed when it spilled even more down her cheeks.

 

He watched as she struggled to control her emotion and the protective feeling resurfaced again, and instantly he scooted near to her and pulled her into his arms. She stiffened at first, clearly surprised at his action but softened a while later and a sob broke. She cried for a long time in his embrace, as if venting out all the pain and sadness inside for the first time and out of conscious he started humming the lullaby. The lullaby that was only meant for that little girl he missed and no one else. He continued humming until her sob receded to small little hiccups, and eventually all he could hear was her soft breathing.

 

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to burst out like that." She pulled away from him suddenly and moved away, wiping her tear-stained face. He was suddenly embarrassed after realising what he just did. What the heck? This is just way beyond weird. "Uhm, I think I should go now."

 

She stood up and walked over to where her brother was sleeping, and it seemed like she was contemplating whether she should wake him. He chuckled when she struggled to lift the boy, only to end up getting a smack right in the face. After countless of tries, she eyed him and pouted, clasping her fingers together to beg him to help her. His knees suddenly went weak looking at how adorable she was. Damn, get a grip Jong Hoon. What is wrong with you?!

 

They were already at her house in a matter of seconds, and he disposed Dae Hyun on his bed while Hyosung pulled over blanket over him. He stood behind her and witnessed how she adored her baby brother, smoothing his hair before kissing his forehead tenderly, like he meant the world to her. This led him thinking, she still hasn't told them about her family. Oh well, there is some other time.

 

"Urm, I'll be going then." He whispered.

 

"Oh, I'm sorry. Okay, let's go." They walked to the door, again in awkward silence. Way to go Jong Hoon, he mentally slapped himself for acting so out of the norm around her. Why was he suddenly attracted to her? She is not even his ideal type! "Thank you, for everything. Goodnight."

 

"Good night to you too, Hyosung. Sweet dreams," She nodded and gave him a smile, before closing the door. His heart gave a double flip when he saw that smile, and another wave of déjàvu hit him again, and faint flashbacks of his childhood friend emerged. That little girl whom he swore to protect, but failed. 

 

Jonghoon shook his head.

What's with all these flashbacks?

 

 


 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

 

Hi everyone!

 

Firstly, I'm really thankful for all the subscribers I've gained in just a matter of time. You guys are the best! I'll update another one probably around tonight or tomorrow, as the work is still in progress. Actually this chapter is supposed to be long, but I cut it into half ... and it's still a little of a read, is it not? Sorry!

 

Anyway, I hope I portray the right character for Jong Hoon from what I see of him. If I don't, do forgive me and if you readers don't mind, you can tell me how he is actually like. Thank you! :)

 

PS: iitadakimassu, babe. If you're reading this, I borrowed a little idea of yours to implement in my latest update. The stars counting part! It just inspired me so much, really. I hope you won't get mad :(