[M] To Awkwardnessitis

BTS Secret Santa 2015 [All Ratings & Slash Only]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rating: M 
Pairing: Vkook
Prompt: Taehyung's a doctor in a hospital, only having Jimin to depend on because he didn't have any spare time, not for a love life, not even a pet to come home to. And Jungkook's a new volunteer who smiled a little too brightly at the kids, playing with them and always coming back the next day. And Taehyung never new that it was going to be so easy to fall in love. 
Genre: Angst and University Au

What an absolutely glorious day, the sun shining, the birds singi-

"Taehyung, wake the up!"

-ng, at --o'clock in the morning, where the first sight he was greeted with is Jimin's beautiful bed hair.

Lowering himself to the snoozing man's level, Jimin flicked the other male's forehead, eyes scrunching up in annoyance. "Oh my god, Tae, you have work in like half an hour," he began to whine, diligently poking the other's cheek.

The only response he received was a grumble, before the brunette pulled the covers over his head to escape from the world. Sighing, Jimin rolls his eyes, before jumping on top of the lump and shaking it furiously. Feeling his sides being pinched by stubby fingers, Taehyung screeched, head hitting the back board of his bed. The lanky male looked up with teary eyes, hands flying to cup his injured head. Throwing his pitiful puppy-eyed glance to his roommate, the brunette pouted, fully playing his guilty card. "But Jiminnie," he replied hoarsely, running a hand through his unkempt hair. "It's too early."

Jimin sighed, rubbing his eyes before staring down at the grumbling man in bed. He loved Taehyung like a brother, but sometimes, the man can be a too much of a handful. The older man began to rummage through mahogany drawers, pulling out a striped tie and clean dress shirt. "Taehyung, it's 7:30," Jimin said calmly, feeling the déjà vu of the conversation. "Now put on some decent clothes and then I'll drop you at the hospital."

The brunette slipped out of bed, dragging himself and his fuzzy socks along with him to the bathroom before brushing his teeth. "Why did I even agree to this jo-" "Oh, and Taehyung! Here's your schedule for today!" The shorter shrieked, whacking Taehyung over the head with a stack of papers.

Dazed, the younger man simply blinked, toothbrush hanging from his mouth. Letting out a little grumble of protest, Taehyung picked up his schedule eyes scanning over it before zeroing in on something that doesn't seem so familiar. He poked his head out of the bathroom door, careful not to hit his head on the ceiling like he did last week, calling after Jimin. "Who's Joon Jengcock?"

The latter, already having put up with the brunette's nonsense, flaunted over to the other male and ripped the schedule out of his hands, narrowing his eyes over the fine print. Rolling the paper up into a tube, he smacked the younger man's temple, yelling out in frustration, "Jeon Jungkook, Taehyung. Please don't mess up his name. He's senior at the medical college around the corner and he volunteers with Jin hyung in the pediatrician ward."

Oh. Well this is something new. "But Jin hyung doesn't-"

"-let anyone touch his babies," Jimin smiled fondly. "Apparently this kid's special, or something. Heard Namjoon singing 'A Whole New World' after the kid made them watch an entire Disney marathon too cheer up Seohyun."

Taehyung's eyes widened, tugging his white coat on. "Wait, what? Seohyun? I thought she got released a while back."

The older man's eyes softened, and Taehyung saw how tired Jimin looked. "She was running around before she tripped over the sidewalk curb and fell. Bleeding didn't stop so her parents brought her back. We'll keep her for a few more days just to make sure the cut isn't infected."

Taehyung frowned, buttoning up the last pins on his coat before slipping his shoes on. "That's unfortunate. Well, I guess I'll make a stop at her room and bring her those soda gummies she craves from the geriatrics ward," the younger hummed. "Now let's go, you're the one who kept nagging me about being late."

Jimin stared for a moment, eyes slowly dropping their gaze from Taehyung's face.

"You're not wearing any pants."

*

Thankfully, they arrived just on time (right before Jimin smacked Taehyung on the head again and shoved him into a pair of clean slacks), meeting up with Hoseok to sign in. The secretary looked up, flashing his brightest smile at the two men before setting two Styrofoam cups on the counter. "My treat," he said, winking in their direction. "I knew you wouldn't have time to pick up a cup o'joe so I just filled some up while Yoongi covered for me."

Taehyung yelled a praise of joy and cradled the cup close to his chest, savouring the wonderful aroma it gave off. Jimin laughed whole-heartedly, taking his cup and thanking the secretary. "Please tell me that screech meant he was happy," Hoseok said awkwardly, eyeing Taehyung out of the corner of his eyes.

The brunette nodded vigorously, bringing the cup to his lips to sip the delicious nectar. "He's addicted to this stuff. We'll have to keep the coffee in a cage to make sure he can't get any," the shorter male hummed, ignoring the glares Taehyung was throwing him. "Anyway, I'll see you later, Hobi hyung."

The secretary's eyebrows went up comically, and Taehyung would have laughed if not for the judging stares he was starting to receive from passer-byers. "What about Tae? You're not telling me he has another surgery during lunch time, right?"

Taehyung snorted, finally putting the coffee down on the ledge, although reluctantly. "God, no. I have to meet some kid. Jang Jooncake."

Jimin groaned, rolling his eyes - something he seemed to be doing a lot of when he was with Taehyung - before flicking the other man on the forehead. "Jeon Jungkook. Kim Taehyung, you better get his name right."

Hoseok's eyes lit up explosively (Taehyung thought Hoseok could be a professional clown if he didn't work in the hospital), smile widening. "Oh, Jungkookie!" Taehyung whipped around to stare at the secretary like he was mad. "He's such a great kid, always helping Jin hyung with the babies and stuff. What business does our clumsy little Tae have with him?"

The youngest male grumbled under his breath, pulling the coffee back up to his lips, and Jimin sighed, resting his elbow on the counter. "The kid's volunteering here and Tae's supposed to meet him up for lunch. Mr. Surgeon over here is going to show him around the place."

The brunette almost spit out his coffee when he heard that, eyes bulging and clutching to the counter before latching on to Jimin. "Lunch?" The youngest man roared. "You didn't tell me anything about having to eat lunch with him. The cafeteria food tastes like dog food! And I would know because of that one time where-"

"-you forgot to buy groceries for the week and resorted to stuffing your face with Soonshim's wet food," the pediatrician said lazily, ignoring the horrified look on the secretary's face. "You made me buy you take out from that ridiculously expensive Chinese place from down the street."

Taehyung looked back to Jimin pointedly. "That was the best Xiao Long Bao I've ever had."

"That was the only Xiao Long Bao you ever had."

"Oh, shut it, shorty. Be grateful that I accepted your peasantry offerings. What would have happened if you didn't feed me? Ever think of those consequences?"

Jimin sighed, taking one last sip of his coffee before chucking it in the garbage. "Yeah, yeah, drama queen. Now come on, I have an appointment with Daehyun soon and you have surgery in 30 minutes."

"Fine, but there is no way I'm eating the mystery meat kimbap or whatever they call it," the brunette grumbled. "Bye Hobi hyung!"

The secretary watched the two retreating backs, mouth hung open. "I've been scarred."

*

Jimin swung the door to his office open, and Taehyung barreled through, plopping down on one of the comfy chairs seated around Jimin's office. The brunette sighed happily, sliding into the cushions and sipping at his coffee, or as Taehyung liked to call it, the juice of the Gods. Jimin laughed, going over to his desk and picking up his clipboard. "Maybe that idea of putting the coffee in a cage wasn't such of a bad idea."

The brunette growled possessively, pulling the styrafoam cup closer to his lips, almost caressing it. "Don't you even dare. Coffee is the only love of my life."

Jimin gasped playfully, putting a hand over his heart. "I'm hurt, Taetae. Am I not worthy enough of your love?"

"No," Taehyung huffed, turning his head away in annoyance. "Anyway who takes my coffee away is in no position of my love."

The other man grinned, placing a quick peck on the brunette's forehead, Jimin slipped his white coat on. "I'll see you later, Tae. Oh, and don't forget your date with the newbie, okay?" Jimin winked, before dashing out of the room.

Taehyung choked, hacking as he could hear his so called 'friend' cackling in the background. The brunette stared at the clock on the wall for a few minutes, closing his eyes to get the few minutes of sleep that he could, before struggling to get into his scrubs and waddling off to the surgery room.

*

The moment Taehyung got out of surgery, he leaned back against the wall, eyes screwed shut. The patient had pulmonary hypertension and required heart transplant. The surgery had been one of the most mentally taxing things Taehyung has ever done, and all he wants to do is go home and sleep. But he still had to meet up with that new volunteer. Jung Jooncock, was it? Taehyung didn't even have a care in the world to remember. Sliding down the wall, the brunette wrapped his arms around his knees and stuffed his head under his arms. The weight off having somebody's life in your hands really caused the man to become more and more exhausted, the eye bags becoming more prominent each day. Sighing, the brunette heaved himself up, yawning and staring at the flashing numbers on his watch. "Might as well find this newbie..."

Taehyung continued to mope down the hallway, glaring at the watch as if it was taunting him, before he ran into something sturdy and strong. The brown haired male fell down on his , eyes going wide before he rested his head on the floor as well. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry!"

Was that God? Taehyung thought. Why does he have such a deep voice? Suddenly, two burly arms lifted him up, making him face the magnificent being in front of him. Jet black hair and piercing, dark eyes came into view as Taehyung was pulled up. Holy , it is God. He's come to save me from my treacheries and miseries. Oh, , is it weird that I wanna bang him? No, Taehyung, stop. Isn't like a sin amongst the heavens and ? my life, maybe he's personally escorting me to hell.

"Hey, you okay?"

The brunette blinked, bunny teeth coming into focus, and Taehyung mentally cooed at the sight. Bringing a hand up to his head, the surgeon nodded sheepishly. "Oh, yeah. Sorry about that, I wasn't watching where I was going."

The other man shook his head and held out an arm. "No worries. I wasn't paying attention either."

Grabbing onto the other's hand, hot-bunny-tooth-guy (as Taehyung had deemed him) tugged him up. The brunette dusted at his scrubs, noticing the stares he was receiving. Chuckling, Taehyung bowed. "Sorry, I just came out of surgery. But I'm Kim Taehyung."

Taehyung saw a flicker of recognition in the other man's eyes, before hot-bunny-tooth-guy flashed him a million dollar smile, bowing as well. "Oh, so you're Doctor Kim. I'm Jeon Jungkook, the new volunteer! I'm supposed to have lunch with you."

Taehyung froze, and he began to panic. my life. Of course the hottie is the new volunteer. Don't this up, Taehyung. You should have listened to Jimin when he said to remember this guys name. Oh, , he just told me! What was it again? Oh, wait, it was-

"Jungcock!"

-and you ed it up again.

The volunteer blinked, eyes wide and jaw hung open before he smirked. Leaning in closer to Taehyung, the black-haired man whispered, "Wouldn't you like to know?"

The surgeon immediately backed away, face turning red. "U-Um...I m-mean we can talk...l-later?"

Jungkook burst out laughing, shaking his before wrapping an arm around Taehyun's shoulders. "Aw, hyung, I was just kidding. C'mon, we gotta eat lunch now. You have a busy day ahead of you," the younger man said, dragging Taehyung by his elbow towards the cafeteria.

"...but I don't want the mystery meat kimbap."

*

They ended going to the Chinese place down the street from Taehyung's apartment, and Jungkook orders a hefty serving of noodles, fried rice, and Xiao Long Bao. Taehyung bites into one and frowns. They don't taste as good as he thought they would. Stuffing his face with noodles, Taehyung looks up, admiring the slope of Jungkook's nose and his well defined cheekbones. Snapping out of his reverie, the brunette clears his throat, hoping to make a normal conversation. "So, tell me a little about yourself, Jungkook."

The bunny-toothed male hums, wiping his mouth with a napkin. "Ah, well, I came over from Busan in hopes to study medicine in this hospital sometime in the near future. I'm a senior at the Medical University of Seoul, so one of my free class spots lets me come to the hospital and volunteer here."

Nodding, Taehyung set his fork down. "Ah, I went there, too. Park Jimin was my roommate, and we're still living together at the moment."

Jungkook grinned, his large eyes becoming even larger at the new information. "You know Jimin hyung? We used to go to the same high school back in Busan. He always called my a brat, though. Guess I'll see him later sometime."

Grinning, the surgeon took a sip of his water, feeling much more relaxed than he was a couple of minutes ago. "Most definitely. He works in the pediatric ward, so you'll see him soon."

"What ward do you work in, hyung?" The younger male asked, curiosity twinkling in his eyes.

"I'm a specialized surgeon," the brunette replied, fork digging into some fried rice. "I just came out of surgery when I bumped into you."

"What do you specialize in?"

"Cardiac surgery."

The younger immediately began to cough, and Taehyung scrambled to the younger boys side before slapping him on the back. Handing Jungkook a glass of water, the brunette furrowed his brows, hand still splayed across the younger's back. Jungkook was still hacking before his body went limp, falling down into the booth. Taehyung never would have thought his first aid training class would have come in handy, but with a situation like this, there was no time to think. The brunette turned the younger over, pressing his ear over the man's chest to listen for a heartbeat, before grabbing Jungkook's face and pressing his lips over the other's.

Taehyung began to blow air into Jungkook's mouth, hoping for any signs of inhalation before an arm s around his waist, pulling him flush against the younger's chest. The brunette pulled away, almost shrieking when Jungkook pressed his lips back against Taehyung's, eyes wide open and dark. The younger pulled away slowly, a smirk plastered on his face, eyes bright and shining. "Now how about we go back to the hospital and you can show me around, okay?"

Taehyung nodded shakily, sitting up straight and patting his hair down. Thankfully, nobody in the restaurant had noticed how hot and bothered Taehyung looked as the pair exited (only after paying, of course; mama didn't raise no fool). The ride back was, plainly put, silent, and the only sort of interaction between the two was when Taehyung gave the younger money to pay for the cab.

It was awkward, to say the very least.

*

Taehyung had shown the younger around the hospital with minimal dialogue, still too flustered to even talk about what happened at the restaurant. Walking towards the pediatric ward, with Jungkook following closely behind him, the surgeon turned around, biting his lips. "Would you mind if we go visit someone? "

The black haired male shook his head, shifting on his feet. "Of course not. Plus, I don't really have a choice anyway."

Taehyung hummed, pointing down the hallway. "Her room is down the hall on the left. There will be a bunch of ponies and flowers, you can't miss it," the brunette said, dashing off. "I'll be back soon. I just have to grab something from the geriatrics ward!"

The surgeon had disappeared from his sight before Jungkook had time to reply.

*

Taehyung takes his time going to the geriatrics ward, mind preoccupied with the kiss. It's not like he's never been kissed before, it's just that he's never been kissed by a stranger before. Although Jungkook isn't a complete stranger, he still barely knows anything about the kid. Even worse is that Taehyung already likes the other man, with his bunny teeth and child-like eyes. But the brunette should know that looks aren't always everything.

Slipping a dollar bill through the vending machine, Taehyung punches in the numerical code, watching soulessly as a packet of gummies falls through the machine. Picking it up, Taehyung stares at the different coloured teddy bears. They're just like all of the men in the world. They look different on the outside, but they're all the same on the inside.

Sighing, the brunette smiles softly. His mother would have been proud of him.

*

When Taehyung gets back to Seohyun's room, he does not expect Jeon Jungkook to be playing My Little Pony with the 8-year-old. Peeking through the small window on the door, the brunette gasps, the image of Jungkook with Pinky Pie scarred in his mind. But he can't help but think of it as adorable, especially when Taehyung can hear the girlish giggles and endless chattering from Seohyun.

Pushing the door open, the surgeon smiles softly, taking a seat by the little girl's bed. "Hey, Seohyunnie," he begins gently. "How're you feeling?"

The girl swaddled up in blankets grins toothily up at him, giving him a thumbs-up. "Great, Taetae oppa!" Taehyung blushes at the use of his nickname. He should have known not to let Jimin in Seohyun's room. He's such a bad influence.

Jungkook quirks an eyebrow up at him before Taehyung turns back to Seohyun, holding out the pack of gummies he bought from earlier. Seohyun immediately brightens, her eyes scrunching up into little crescents. "Thanks, oppa! These are my favourite!"

The surgeon smiles, almost triumphantly. "I know, Hyunnie. That's why I got you them," he hums, eyes landing on Jungkook. "Did you have fun playing with Jungkook?"

The little girl nods furiously, her chocolate curls bouncing up and down. "Yep! Kookie oppa played Ponies with me and we had so much fun! Oppa was Pinky Pie and I was Rainbow Dash!"

Taehyung laughs so hard his chest begins to hurt, but the glares Jungkook is sending him causes him to stifle his giggles. "That's g-great, Seohyun," he replies, wiping the tears beginning to pool in  his eyes. "Kookie and I have to go now, but we'll come back tomorrow and play Ponies with you again, okay?"

Seohyun smiles, a tiny hand coming up to wave goodbye. "Bye oppas! See you tomorrow!"

Taehyung slips out of the room after pulling the blankets up to Seohyun's chin and kissing her forehead, Jungkook on his heels. Taehyung can see the questioning in the younger man's eyes, and he sighs softly. "She has sickle cell anemia. She fell and the wound wouldn't close so they brought her back in."

The younger nods solemnly, eyes trained on the floor. "She's a good kid."

The brunette hums, smiling at no one in particular. Jungkook stops walking, and Taehyung turns, surprised at how shy the younger was being. "H-hey, hyung," the black haired man begins. "About what happened earlier today. U-um...can I m-maybe take you out later? To apologise?"

The relief that floods through Taehyung's system relaxes the man incredibly. His smile softens, and the older man takes the younger's hand in his. "Of course, Pinky Pie. We can try this out."

*

The first date turns out to be - as much as Taehyung would hate to admit it - cute. Jungkook takes him to the cat cafe in Hongdae and Taehyung gets to hold what looks to be Grumpy the Cat's twin brother. He also gets to see the horror tattooed on Jungkook's face when a kitten the younger man's palm. He doesn't know how someone who works out and isn't afraid of anything can be afraid of fluff walking on legs.

("But they have these devil claws, hyung, just look at the little demons!"

"Oh my god, Jun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter