2. Rolling in The Deep

Lief
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Rolling in the Deep]

She took a longing breath when they had finally arrived back at the manor.

Boy, am I going to miss this place.

This had been what JinHee called her home ever since she started talking. Everything amazing and- well...Not so amazing had occurred right in this place. To even think that they might have to sell it for money broke her heart. She bit her lips in the hopes of not letting out my tears because her mom and dad were still in the car with her. The girl knew it must've been harder on them than it was for her; her uncle had been one of their closest relatives after all.

She walked in quick steps to the front of their door and pushed it open. All the maids and workers that had accompanied her throughout her whole life turned to look at her and stopped each of their activities.

They were packing.

JinHee could taste coppery liquid coming out as she unconsciously bit down harder on her lower lip. The head butler, Mr. Kang, walked up to her and bowed as usual as if nothing had happened. As if he hadn't lost his job.

"Welcome home, miss." he said politely.

Come to think of it, Mr. Kang had basically raised her and yet he is still acting so polite towards her. It saddened JinHee when she realized that she barely remembered what his full name was, when he already memorized her whole biography and life story by heart. She smiled sadly at the old man.

"Mr. Kang...” She started, "What is your full name?"

He blinked a series of times before answering. "Kang JaeSuk, miss. Why did you ask?"

"Oh- nothing." She waved it off, "I was just curious, that's all."

With no more words exchanged, the former heiress immediately stalked to her room and locked the door so that no one could hear her.

So no one would witness her cry.

A few hours later, a knock was heard from the door. JinHee snapped her head up from the pillow under her and groaned inwardly. She didn't realize she had fallen asleep while crying.

Just great- I bet I look like a huge mess right now.

Running her hands quickly through her tangled-up hair, she tried looking as presentable as she could and opened the door. On the other side, there stood JinHee's mother, still in all of her grace and poise that she'd gathered from her years. "Yes?" the daughter said, her voice sounding hoarse.

"JinHee...” she whispered, tears started forming in her eyes.

The girl sighed and pulled her mom into a hug as she patted her back, "Don't do it, mom. Don't you dare cry." she said.

Mrs. Seo sniffled instead, and was burying her face into her shoulders, trying to keep calm. "It's not the time to dwell in misery." she said in a comforting tone.

"What we have to be now is to stay strong for dad. He's probably on the verge of depression already. We have to endure it for him."

She nodded, still hugging the girl. "SeoHee... My wonderful daughter Seo JinHee... How come such misfortunes happen to you- to us?"  Her mother sighed as she took off her hands from her. "What did we do to deserve this?"

Not knowing the answer to her question, JinHee shrugged. Her mother suddenly gasped and put her hands up to cover . "Oh- Oh my God. I must have forgotten!"

She tilted her head in confusion when Mrs. Seo started sobbing again, "You're having it worse than any of us, silly girl." she cried out, "How could you still be so calm when that just happened?"

Suddenly, JinHee understood what she meant.

It was JoonMyeon.

However, her mother didn't seem to notice that she had been bawling her eyes out for the past few hours and still thought that her daughter was taking in the situation calmly and rationally. She didn't know that JinHee was basically going insane from the heartbreak inside her secluded room.

It was a good thing she didn't, after all that her parents had been through, the last thing she wanted to do was to burden them further with her heart break

She had been dating JoonMyeon for a solid 2 years and had known him way longer than that. Their history had begun from primary school and she was certain they were in love. Now, she wasn't so sure if he actually did love her.

Was nothing real?

Deciding that she needed to be alone for a while, she excused herself, "Mom, I'm going out for a while. I'll be back late."

She spent the night drinking her troubles away.

 

*****

 

The next day, JinHee was already standing in front of the music store's building.

Better use the member card more often now. Since I won't be able to re-apply next month- I can't waste money for that. She thought to herself. And with that, she quickly walked in as she flashed the card to the receptionist, earning a bow from her.

As she headed for her usual piano room, she stopped her tracks and listened intently at the music coming out of the room next to hers. It sounded familiar, and JinHee hesitantly opened the door.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter