20. Acquaintances, Fiancés, and Pokémons

Lief
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note: Because the last chapter seemed too short for an update, here's another one.

[Acquaintances, Fiancés, and Pokémons]

Chatters flew around the large ballroom, varying with voices and pitches. Serious men in suits talked calmly as they discussed their tiresome businesses, women laughed about as they tasted the available finger-foods and the younger ones mingled with one another- dancing and gossiping the night away.

JooHyun sipped her champagne from a thin glass, careful so as not to damage her lipstick.

JangHyuk was a few meters away from her spot, having a chat with one of the senators that came. She sighed and thought about what she could do to waste her time.

The girl knew how to act, how to laugh and how to please the people she met, but every time there was an event, she’d be the last one to be entertained. The parties were a plain bore to her, and she didn’t bother mingling with the guests unless she had to.

“Miss Shin JooHyun,” a voice broke her reverie, “I never thought you’d come after…”

She darted an unamused look at whoever was talking.

It was an older woman, probably another one of the guest’s wife. She smiled at JooHyun tightly as she waited for some explanation.

“My husband is here,” she glanced at the said man, “Is it wrong to accompany him?”

“Oh goodness no! I just thought you wouldn’t be so brave to attend the event.”

JooHyun sighed, “My family went bankrupt, they did not commit some sort of crime. So I don’t see why I should be afraid to show my face here.”

The woman smiled cynically at her, “Alright then. Enjoy your evening, Mrs. Shin.”

She showed her most controlled smile and nodded.

This is why she never bothered.

Just then, she saw a glimpse of a face through the crowd, and she felt her stomach churn at the sight. There he was, standing tall, giving out a hoot of laughter as he talked.

It was her uncle.

JooHyun held back the urge to walk up to him and plant the most painful slap on his disgusting face. She breathed in rapidly for control.

Just do what you do best JooHyun, she thought to herself, Control.

She felt a tug on the sleeve of her dress and turned around to find another person standing right in front of her. She lifted her head up and felt the glass of champagne slip out of her hand…

Only to be caught by another hand.

The man, dressed in a dashing English-cut suit, was staring at her with his most radiant smile. His eyes twinkling with mischief,

“Welcome to my party, Princess.”

 

*****

 

“JoonMyeon,”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter