Chapter 2

Without You
"Remember this is artwork from you and your partner. You both have to work on it together." Mr. Song says, with a piece of bread in between his lips.
 
I kept tapping my desk with the pencil, thinking of a really huge and amazing idea for the project. It's been a week and nothing, thanks to Jungkook.
 
"That's annoying. Stop it." Jungkook says, slouching more onto his chair. I ignored him and started tapping more. He grabbed the pencil from my hand, but from doing so he knocked over the box filled with colored pencils. It fell to the floor and broke, some led flying off.
 
Everyone turned their heads our way and I gulped. Mr. Song looked up from his painting and looked at us.
 
"He dropped it." I said nonchalantly, I didn't want to risk getting in trouble. The students kept looking at us, now including the freshman's.
 
"She was being annoying." Jungkook exclaims. I scoffed and rolled my eyes.
 
"Like if you're not annoying. A tapping pencil can't compare to how annoying you are." I say to him, looking at him. The class stayed quiet.
 
"Yah!" Jungkook says, sitting up on his chair.
 
"Enough! It's fine. I have plenty more boxes and colored pencils." Mr. Song says, walking over to us, picking up the broken pieces of the wooden box. The bell rang and I threw the pencil at Jungkook. I walked out of class. It's the second week of school and he already got me out of my shell.
 
I was about to walk into the ladies' room when I felt a hand grab my shoulder from behind. It pushed my back against the wall.
 
"What the hell was that?" Jungkook shouts at me, holding up the pencil in front of my face. I roll my eyes and push him off of me. He drops the pencil and puts both of his hands on my shoulders, pushing me back against the wall.
 
"You little brat." He shouts at me. A crowd started to form and I took the chance to spit on his face. His face started to scare me after.
 
"Yah! Yah! Yah!" I hear someone yell from the side. It was TaeHyung. He ran over to us.
 
"Jungkook, we don't fight with girls." He says, looking at us. Jungkook rolls his eyes and nodded.
 
"I'm not working on this project myself. Either you help me or I'm going to beg Mr. Song to make both of us work alone. There goes your easy A. ." I say, pushing him off of me again. I hear TaeHyung laughing as I walk away. I don't know if he was laughing at me or if he was laughing at Jungkook, but honestly I don't care.
 
***
 
I don't go home. I figured that my parents would be arguing and I don't want to hear any of it. I'm walking down the streets of Insadong, it's in Seoul. I go here mostly for the food stands. Parents hardly cook a decent meal at home so I eat here most of the time. And the souvenir shops here are cute. I went in a few of them and bought some stuff for the fun of it.
 
I pass by an alleyway and I hear whispers coming from it. I stop and look in it, seeing three people leaning against the wall. Two of them were smoking. They turned their heads towards me and I realized then it was the bad boy group of the school. All three of them together, how great.
 
"Hey, you're that girl." TaeHyung says, laughing and walking towards me. He put out his cigarette in front of me. Jimin and Jungkook followed after. Jimin also put out his cigarette, Jungkook had none. I laughed.
 
"Jungkook, you're too afraid to smoke or something?" I said. TaeHyung and Jimin laughed.
 
"Shut up. I can't even if I wanted to." He says, rolling his eyes and putting his hands in his pocket. I scoffed, then since he was here already I had an idea.
 
"Give me your address." I told him. He raised an eyebrow.
 
"What is this, you freak." He says. I roll my eyes.
 
"Give me your address. You're working on this project with me no matter what. I'm not doing this myself and I don't care if you don't know how to draw a stick figure." I tell him. TaeHyung and Jimin tried hard to hold in their laughs.
 
"Sweetie." Jimin says, putting his arm around me. I push him off.
 
"Don't do that to me. I know who you guys are and I'm not interested in any of you." I tell them. Jimin put his hands up and backed away slowly. I turned my attention back to Jungkook. Jungkook groaned and reached into his pocket, getting out a ripped piece of paper and a pen from his backpack. He wrote his address down and threw it at me.
 
"Good. I'm coming tomorrow." I say before walking away.
 
"What?! Tomorrow's Saturday, are you crazy?!" He shouts.
 
"I don't care." I tell him. I look at all three of them. "Tuck in your uniforms. You guys look like if you got beaten up."
 
I walked away.
 
***
 
I arrived at Jungkook's house at around 8am. I came really early just to piss him off. I look at the house and see how huge it was. It was no really rich person's house but it was way bigger and way better than my house. Stereotypical rich bad boy.
 
I walk up to the door and rang the doorbell. Nobody answered the door. I rang it again and still nobody answered. I sighed and knocked hard on the door. A few seconds later, Jungkook opened it.
 
"What are you doing here?" He says, his voice a bit raspy. I breathed out and held up my backpack. He looked back in his house and looked back at me.
 
"Right now? It's 8 in the morning on a Saturday." He whines. I invited myself in and sat on the couch. His house is pretty nice. Okay, his house is really nice.
 
"You're lucky my parents leave for work at 6am." He says, going into what I think is the kitchen. He comes back out later with a bagel and a glass of juice. I open my backpack, taking out a sketchbook and pencils. He just stands there, leaning against the wall looking at me. He took a sip of his juice and I threw a pencil at him.
 
"Hey!" He shouts, putting his bagel and glass down on the table near him. He picks up the pencil and throws it back at me, but he misses.
 
"Hey. Since pencils are attracted to you, why don't you do the pencil?" I say in a mocking way. He scoffs and sits down next to me, looking at the sketchbook.
 
"A pencil? That's easy." He goes. I raise an eyebrow and pick up my sketchbook, shoving it to his stomach.
 
"Then draw me a pencil." I say. He scoffs in unbelief and takes the challenge. He opens the first page in my sketchbook as I take the chance to relax on his couch. It is early in the morning. I hear him chuckle. I looked over at him and he's flipping through pages. Oh .
 
I grab the sketchbook away from him and rip out a blank piece of paper, handing it to him. He takes it and places it down on the table in front of us. He looks at me and I just stay staring down at my closed sketchbook.
 
"Your drawings are...deep." He mockingly says to me. He chuckles and grabs the sketchbook from my hand, pushing me away with his other hand.
 
"Hey! Give it back!" I shout. He doesn't listen. He flips through the pages with both of his hands now as he uses his elbows to push me away. Man, he's strong.
 
"Why do you draw these kind of things?" He asks, showing me one picture that I drew.
 
It was a lighter that I drew. It was lit up but from where the fire stood, wax leaked down the lighter as if it was a candle. It was colored red, the leaking wax. At the bottom of the lighter, the lighter started dissolving but the wax kept dripping to the bottom of the page. The puddle of wax on the bottom of the page was shaped as a static face.
 
I stopped trying to grab it and turned back around. I faced forward and just stared into nothing. I hear him laugh. He put the sketchbook back in front of me and then leaned his elbows on his knees. He leaned his face closer to me. I turned my head towards him and saw how close he was. Too close.
 
"You have no friends, do you?" He goes. I flicked him in the forehead and he sat back, rubbing it.
 
"Just draw your stupid pencil." I say, and he scoffed, grabbing the blank piece of paper I gave him.
 
He starts to draw and I just sigh, looking down at my feet. I shook my head and just started fiddling with my thumbs.
 
"Done." Jungkook says a few minutes later and throws his drawing in front of me. I grab it and look at it. I couldn't help but laugh at it. It looked as if a first grader drew it.
 
"What?" He goes. I shake my head.
 
"You know what? I'll do the drawing." I tell him.
 
"Fine. Great! You're doing the work then." He says, getting up and going over to his bagel that he put down earlier.
 
"Yah! You still have to do something!" I shouted. He just takes a bite out of his bagel. "Can you at least color in between the lines?"
 
He rolls his eyes and puts the bagel back down. I reach into my bag and pull out the drawing of the glass cup I did in class. I threw it at him.
 
"Here. Make it pretty." I said. He looked at me and then walked upstairs. He came back down a minute later with a box in his hand. He sits down next to me and opens it up, revealing color pencils with different colors and shades. My eyes widened.
 
"Wow." I say. He doesn't say anything and grabs the drawing. He silently starts to color it in.
 
I watched him for a while but then continued on thinking up better ideas for the drawing.
 
Half an hour later and I still got nothing. But Jungkook finished coloring my picture. He handed it back to me and I froze looking at it. I took it and just stared at it.
 
He knows how to color things in. Not just color in normally, like the trees are green or water is blue. No, he shaded everything. He added shadows to the face where it made sense. He detailed the eyes with color, making it look scarier than how it was when it was just black and white. It was amazing. I looked up at him and he raised an eyebrow.
 
"What?" He asks.
 
"I'll do the drawings." I say.
 
"Good." He goes.
 
"But you'll color it in." I say. "Can you do water color?" I ask him and he stares at me, confused.
 
"You can really color. You're so detailed with it." I tell him. "Did you smear them with your fingers?" I asked him, realizing how the coloring of the water looked like it was smeared, to add a liquid feeling. He kind of nods. I shake my head, not believing this.
 
"I can't believe I'm going to say this but, I'm kind of glad you're my partner." I say to him. I see him smirk and I internally roll my eyes.
 
He gets up from the couch and went back to his bagel and juice. I laid on the couch not caring if he found it rude. I continued to think of ideas.
 
***
 
After who knows how long, I finally gave up. There were crumpled up pieces of papers on the table and floor. My sketchbook was almost out of paper. It had only about 2 blank pages left.
 
Jungkook came down from being upstairs and he sees my head buried down into my arms on the table. I was done. He chuckles and grabs one of the crumpled up drawings and threw it at my head.
 
"Yah!" I shout, sitting up and glaring at him. He ignores me and grabs my sketchbook again. He flips through the pages and throws it back on the table.
 
He walks back upstairs and I look around the room. I see the empty glass from his orange juice and I grabbed a crumpled piece of paper, opening it up and drawing on the back. I started drawing the glass, not really knowing exactly why.
 
Jungkook came back down from upstairs and he throws an empty sketchbook at me. I look at it and then look up at him.
 
"It's my older sister's." He says. "She left them here when she moved out last year." I just stared at him.
 
"Thanks?" I go, a bit confused to his act of kindness.
 
"Yeah, whatever." He says, plopping himself back onto the couch.
 
I check the time and it was 2pm. My eyes grew wide.
 
"I've been trying for 6 hours to draw?!" I shout.
 
"Yeah. I even took a nap." Jungkook says, laughing. I started packing up my stuff. I got the crumpled up papers and threw them away. I put on my bag and walked straight to the door.
 
"Okay! Thanks. Bye!" I say, opening the door. He put his hand on the door and slammed it shut. I froze and turned around, seeing how close he was to me.
 
"What are you doing?" I ask him.
 
"Since you wasted 6 hours of my life, and I gave you my sister's sketchbook, you owe me." He says. I roll my eyes.
 
"You owe me lunch. Let's go." He says, grabbing his coat from the coat hanger besides the door.
 
"You've got to be kidding me?" I say.
 
"This is how things work with me. I do something I don't want for you, then you have to do something for me no matter what." He says. I scoffed and shake my head, following him out the door.