Chapter 25

Without You

I was packing for my stay at my mother's house. I told my dad I didn't want to stay but he insisted at least one night. It was New Year's Eve and I'm going to stay tonight, and hang out with her all day tomorrow. Apparently I'm going home at about 9pm tomorrow.

"You have everything?" my dad asks.

"Yes Dad. It's only one night. I don't need a whole lot." I say. "What time are you dropping me off?"

"In probably 3 hours, why?" he asks, coming into my room. Then he raises an eyebrow. "You want to hang out with your boyfriend?"

My eyes widened and I threw a pillow at him. He starts laughing and comes in, kissing the top of my head.

"I was kidding." he says. "It's just that you seem to really like this boy."

I smile a little and close my bag, finished with my packing.

"But can I hang out with him?" I ask. He scoffs and I chuckle. He rubs my arm and kisses the top of my head again.

"Go ahead. But be back in 2 hours." he says. I nod and hug him. I then grab a coat, throw it on, and walk out my room and my house.

I start walking towards Jungkook's house, not calling him since I want to surprise him. It took me about 15 minutes to get there by walking. When I finally reached the street, I hear him.

"No." he says. "Yes. Why?"

I walk closer to see what was going on.

"My sister's not home." I hear him say. "Parents aren't either."

And then it goes silent. I walk faster and when I reach his house, my heart drops to what I see. His lips were on another girl's. I couldn't recognize who it was, but once she pulled away I left. I started running back towards my home, but I ended up tripping on an un-leveled sidewalk piece. I yelped.

I can hear footsteps from his place coming towards me. I quickly get up and start running back home. I tried to hold in my tears but, since I tripped, everything came out. I sobbed as I got up and I'm sobbing as I'm running back home.

I arrived home a couple minutes later and went straight to my room. My dad was in the bathroom so I tried to calm myself down, so I don't have to tell him what happened and here him say "I told you so". I went into my bathroom and washed up my face. I crawled onto my bed and laid there. A few minutes later, my dad came out.

"Oh. You're home quickly." he says. I see him walk in my room.

"He wasn't home." I said. My dad nods and walks out, going downstairs.

I quickly get up and close my door, locking it. I run to my closet, I run to under my bed, I open my backpack and then I remember. I have no lighter. I was about to put my coat back on and go buy one but then, I told myself that I shouldn't burn myself over a guy. Burning myself over a guy isn't worth it, especially this guy.

I went back onto my bed and tried to sleep. Just two more hours.

***

I arrived at my mother's house. It was nice. It was big. Since when did Mom have money of her own to afford a house like this?

I waved goodbye to my dad and he drives off. I turn around, seeing my mom take my bags in. I follow after her. When I walked in the house, my eyes widened and my jaw slightly dropped. It was really nice. The furniture and the design of it was pretty.

"Mom, since when could you afford something like this?" I asked her. I looked over at her and she awkwardly laughs. I raise an eyebrow and tilt my head. I go back to looking around the house.

"Your room is upstairs. Two doors on the right." she says. I quickly run up the stairs to see how it looks like.

"I walk in and it was nice. I was expecting something big but then this house isn't a rich house. It's just bigger than mine. I liked the room style, though. I walk out the room and bump into someone.

"Oh. I'm sorry." a man says. I look up and I have never seen this man in my life.

"Who are you?" I asked, a bit afraid. He holds out his hand for a handshake.

"I'm Eric Kim." he says. I raise an eyebrow as I shake his hand. "I'm half American."

I nod. As soon as we released our hands, I ran downstairs to my mom.

"Mom! Do you have another boyfriend?" I asked her. She jumps, startled by me. She looks at me and slowly nods. I bit my lip, not knowing how to respond.

"We actually met almost a year ago." Eric says, coming downstairs. My eyes widened.

"Mom...no." I said, backing up from her.

"Sweety, I'm-"

"Why?!" I shouted, cutting her off. "So all those times you weren't at work?! You lied?! Is this how you got this house?!"

"Yes, but no. I was at work!" she tells me.

"I met her at work." Eric adds in. I shook my head and ran out the house, to give myself air and my own time. I ran until I ended up in a park. I plopped myself down onto the grass and hugged my knees tightly against my chest. I started crying to myself. I can't believe my mom was cheating on my dad. I didn't know why I chose my dad over my mom, but it was just a feeling to choose him. And now, I know why I got that feeling.

I grabbed my phone and dialed the number for my dad.

"Dad. Pick me up." I tell him.

"What? Why? What's wrong?" my dad asks, hearing me sniff.

"Just pick me up." I say, and hang up. I wipe my tears and try to calm myself down. I look up, seeing a convenient store a block away. I stand up and walk towards it.

I grab chips, drinks, and even a fack mask. I walk to the counter and grab a lighter, paying for all of them. I walked out the store and immediately put my face mask on. It's cold anyways so it doesn't matter.

I kept walking until I found a familiar street. I walked towards it and soon enough, I was back at my mom's place. I walked in, ignoring her and Eric. I grabbed my stuff and walked out the house, sitting on the driveway waiting for my dad. A few minutes later, he came.

I got in the car and sat down, quiet. I look at the house and I see my mom open the door. I can see her heartbroken, but I didn't care at this moment. My dad drove us home.

***

I threw my bag on the couch as soon as we arrived home, and my dad asked what was wrong.

"Mom was cheating on you." I say. My dad freezes.

"What? Why would you say that?" he tells me. I shake my head and bit my bottom lip. I look at him.

"She was with another guy in there. I thought it was a new boyfriend but he said he met her through work and about a year ago too. He could've meant literally met her, but then Mom started freaking out so I knew she cheated." I cry to him. He hugs me and I sob into his chest. He says nothing. I pulled away and look up at him. I think the only thing he's feeling, is numbness. What can he really do at this moment? They're divorced. But the fact she was cheating while they were married, is just...why?

I pull away from him, to give him time. I grab my bag and walk into my room. I lock the door and quickly take out my lighter. I lit it up and burned myself, everywhere. And I mean everywhere. I burned both my arms, parts of both my legs, and even the bottom right of my chin, almost near my cheek. I burned my stomach and ankle. I closed the lighter and threw it, crying onto the floor. I'm not this upset at my mom cheating. It's the mixture of both her, and Jungkook.