Chapter 3

Without You
I stayed quiet sitting as he kept eating his food. I wasn't hungry, and since I'm already paying for him, I'm not ordering to pay more for myself.
 
I looked around the place and just watched other people eat. I watched the couples, the families, and the loners eat.
 
For the past two years in school, I've been very quiet and I have no friends because I make it hard for people to talk to me. Even when I was in groups or with a partner for a project, I stayed quiet, but I did the work and my partner/group did the work as well. But not with Jungkook. He annoys me so much that I have to say something. He makes me want to talk just to insult him. I don't talk to people because I hate talking to people, Jungkook is one reason why.
 
"You're not eating?" I hear him say. I look over at him and he was eating his tteokbokki. I stayed quiet and continued looking around the place.
 
"Are you mad at me or something?" He says a few seconds later. I look back at him and roll my eyes. I'm not going to continue talking because of him.
 
He finished his food, including the large bowl of bimbimbap, and I went to the cashier to pay for it. I took out my wallet and realized that I only had brought 15,000 won with me. I sighed in relief when I saw that the price was 13,000. It was just enough to pay for it.
 
As soon as I pulled out the 15,000 won and handed it to the cashier, my wallet was empty. I looked at it and sighed. I should get a job, or have the guts to ask my secretly-hiding-that-they-have-a-lot-of-money parents for more money.
The cashier handed me my 2,000 won as change and I bowed at her. I walked out with Jungkook fumbling into his back pocket behind me.
 
I turned around and saw that he was holding 25,000 won in his hand. I just raised an eyebrow at him. He looked at me and then stood up more straight, I'm guessing to hold his bad boy I'm-so-tough image. I rolled my eyes and before I turned around, he told me something.
 
"Here." He said, handing the money to me. I looked at him and just stayed looking at him, confused at what he's doing.
 
"Take it. I swear you make me feel bad. First you run out of paper for your sketchbook and now you wasted like 98% of your money to pay for my food. Just take it." He says, waving the won in my face. I scoffed and just turned around, continuing to walk back towards my home and leave him there.
 
As I was walking, I hear footsteps coming closer to me. Before I turned around to tell Jungkook to go home, he grabs my hand and turns me to face him. He opens my hands in front of him and places the won in it, closing my hand to hold the won after. He rolls his eyes and walks away.
 
I stare at him walking away and look down at my hands, seeing that now he has placed 30,000 won in my hand. How much money does this kid have?
 
***
 
I was just lying down on my bed, staring at the ceiling. My father went to a motel again and it's barely 5pm. He was already done with my mother.
 
I got off of my bed and picked up my pajamas to change. As I was taking off my jeans, the won Jungkook gave me earlier fell down. I totally forgot about it. I went and picked it up, placing it on top of my dresser. I just looked at it and scoffed to myself, not believing that Jungkook secretly has a soft side.
 
30,000 won that he just gave away, to me. Seriously does he have like 100,000 with him or something? I wouldn't be surprised if he did, his house is slightly bigger and better than mine. Okay, not slightly, a lot.
 
***
 
It was Monday and I was sitting alone outside the cafeteria because I didn't have an appetite. I looked around the school, seeing only a few people walk by with their friends. I wonder how it feels like to have friends. I pushed mine all away years ago that I forgot how it feels to be wanted.
 
"Hey pretty lady." I hear someone say. I turn around and see Jimin come walking towards me. I roll my eyes and quickly stand up, putting my bag on.
 
"Hey, hey, hey!" Jimin says, grabbing my shoulders. "I'm not trying to hit on you, just wait!"
 
I stop and turn around, giving him a dirty look.
 
"I just wanted to ask how your date went with Jungkook." He says. I raise an eyebrow and start laughing.
 
"Date? Seriously? I told you guys that I wouldn't even think of dating any of you guys." I say. Dammit, he made me talk.
 
"So you guys really did work on a project only? Wow." He says, raising both eyebrows. "But he said you guys went out to eat."
 
"Yeah. Because he forced me to treat him to lunch since I wasted 6 hours of his life and he gave me his sister's sketchbook." I answer. "He said it was his thing of I do what you want and you do what I want."
 
"Aish." Jimin says. I shake my head and walk away from him.
 
***
 
It's art and I kept trying to think of amazing ideas for the glass cup. But, nothing. The great idea I had was the one I drew on the first day. So then I decided to change the item to the other three that was given to us.
 
Pencil. City. Flower.
 
I groan and just throw my pencil on the desk. I've never been so blank with art. Why can't I think of anything to draw? I don't have any ideas. I draw the four items small on the corner of the piece of paper. I stare at it and try to think of some crazy idea for it.
 
"It's been 20 minutes." I hear Jungkook say. I turn my head towards him and look back down at my paper. I'm still not talking.
 
"Hey. Are you mad at me or something? What did I do?" He says. I scoff and look at him.
 
"Are you seriously asking me, out of all people in this school, if I'm mad at you? You and your friends go pick on people and bully them and break girls' hearts and all I do is not speak to you, and you're asking me if I'm mad? Why don't you go ask everyone you put in a hospital, or all the girls' hearts you broke." I tell him. He never did put anyone in the hospital, though. Everyone in the class became silent and turned their heads towards us.
 
"Is everything alright?" Mr. Song says, walking over to us. I silently scoff and stand up from my seat, pretending to go get some colored pencils. I was just moving the pencils around in the box and leaning against the counter.
 
***
 
"Hey! Hey!" I hear Jungkook yelling at me as I'm walking out the school gates. I ignore him. He grabs my arm and I yank it away and face him.
 
"What?" I shout at him.
 
"Okay. Why are you ignoring me?" He asks. I roll my eyes.
 
"I'm serious. Okay, yeah what you said in class is true. . But I have done nothing to you. I gave you money and a sketchbook." He tells me. I sigh.
 
"Alright alright. Thanks for that. Now I'm going home." I say, turning around.
 
"Why are you ignoring me?" He shouts. "We're partners, you're kind of stuck with me."
 
"I have a reputation." I say, still just standing there. There are a few students around in front of the school, but they don't seem to care about Jungkook.
 
"A reputation? What, like you got arrested?" He says. I scoff and turn back around to face him.
 
"Why do you care? We're not friends?" I say. He stays silent.
 
"I'm the quiet one in school. I don't have friends. I have never spoke to anyone. Until you came along, now I always feel like speaking to just insult you."
 
Then I see a crowd form behind Jungkook. I look at them and so does Jungkook. I catch TaeHyung holding a student by the collar.
 
"Now, go help your friend beat someone up and forget about me." I say, rolling my eyes. I watch him as he looks back at TaeHyung and then look back at me. I shrug my shoulders up and nod my head over at TaeHyung who just threw a punch at the student, and then throwing him to the ground.
 
Jungkook starts to turn around and walk over to help TaeHyung, I assume, but Jimin walks out the crowd and walks over to Jungkook.
 
"Jungkook!" He shouts, doing their handshakes and guy hugs. I turn around to walk away but Jimin sees me.
 
"And you!" He says, I just stand there with my back faced towards him.
 
"Jungkook. Are you two dating?" Jimin says. "Damn, you do always get the pretty ones fast."
 
"I told you I'm not interested in you guys and I thought you said you weren't hitting on me?" I say, facing him.
 
"That was at lunch. I wasn't hitting on you at lunch." He replies. "Do you hate us?"
 
"I've been hating you guys since I learned about you guys two years ago."
 
"She has a reputation hyung." Jungkook says. Jimin's eyes widens and steps away from me.
 
"Stop making it sound like I have a police record!" I shout at Jungkook.
 
"You said it first!" He argues back.
 
"Aish, you two already fight like a couple. How long have you known each other?" Jimin says.
 
"I'm leaving." I say, and leave them alone. But, one didn't want to leave me alone.
 
"Hey, hey, hey. I never caught your name." Jimin says, putting his arm around me. I just let it slide, I was too lazy to push him off. He was warm too.
 
"Why do you care?" I say.
 
"Well, you're close with our Kookie." He says.
 
"Kookie?" I laughed. "That's such a cute nickname for an ."
 
"Uh, well, name?"
 
"JiYoon. Yoo JiYoon."
 
"Ah, you're all sorts of pretty huh?" He says. Now, I push his arms off of me.
 
"He said you have a reputation? Like?" He asks.
 
"I just don't like talking to people. You guys are reasons why I hate talking to people." I answer.
 
"So you have no friends?" He asks. I shake my head.
 
"We'll be your friends. Well, I will." I stop walking and look at him.
 
"Friends? With you guys? Okay, I want to keep my reputation as a nobody. If I become your friends, I will become a somebody and not in a good way. People will talk about me."
 
"People think you're friends with Jungkook. I heard his name in some conversations as I walk down halls. Some girls even talked smacked about you." He says and laughs. "I assumed it was you when you spoke to Jungkook in a rude way at the alleyway. No one speaks to him like that, unless they're close with him."
 
I breathe out and shake my head.
 
"Jungkook and I are only partners on an art project. Now please, let me walk home and act like you don't know me in school. I already have enough problems of my own and I don't need you guys to speak to me and have the whole school talk about me. I don't need this. And please, tell Jungkook to stop trying to talk to me." I tell him. Jimin just stares at me weirdly and then slowly nods. I feel my eyes tearing up and I don't know why. I turn around, and walk home.