Chapter 26

Without You

It was New Year's Day, and I got a missed call from Jungkook and a few text messages. I peeked on one and it said "Happy New Years!", but I ignored it. I get up and go to my dresser. I look at the mirror and tears form as soon as I see the burned mark on my chin. It didn't really look obvious, but it's darker than my regular skin color.

 

I get another call but it's from Jimin this time. I answered.

 

"What?" I say, and my voice cracked. I didn't know that much tears were formed in my eyes, and I didn't even feel my throat feeling clogged up.

 

"Whoa. Are you okay?" Jimin asks. I stayed silent, trying not to cry. "Well, I'm just calling for Jungkook. He was wondering why you weren't answering him."

 

And after he said that, I started sniffing more and I even just placed my phone down onto the dresser. I leaned against it, crying a little. A couple of seconds later, I lift up my phone to my ear.

 

"Hello?" I say. I look at my phone and he hung up. I sighed and sniffed, throwing my phone on my bed and sitting down on the floor. I stayed on the floor, hugging my knees, feeling numb. I stared blankly into nothing. I kept doing this for almost 10 minutes.

 

Then I finally stood up and went to my bed. I breathed in, and breathed out heavily. I shook my head and wiped my tears. I heard my room door opening, assuming it's my dad, assuming he heard me cry.

 

I look up and it wasn't my dad. It was Jungkook. His eyes widened when he saw me. He ran to me, going to give me a hug, but I shrugged him off. He looks at me confused.

 

"Get out." I say. He still looks lost. "I said get out."

 

"JiYoon, what's wrong?" he asks, trying to get closer to me. I shake my head and push him away.

 

"Get out!" I shout. I look up at him and I know he wants me to tell him what's going on. I breathe out, and the sniff. Tears fall down my eyes again.

 

"I thought you changed Jungkook." I start off. I shake my head to the floor. "I thought you were different, towards me at least. Jimin told me that I shouldn't be surprised if you stopped talking to me, but he said if you cheated on me I should be because you're not like that."

 

I shake my head again and scoff.

 

"But I guess you are like that. I can't believe I let myself fall for a guy like you. I thought people could change their ways, but I guess they can't. You're still the same guy you were when we first met." I say.

 

"JiYoon, what are you talking about?" he says. I sniff.

 

"I went over to your house yesterday Jungkook!" I shout, standing up from my bed. "I saw what happened at your house yesterday!"

 

He looks at me, lost. And then he sighs, realizing what I mean.

 

"Oh my gosh, JiYoon. No, it wasn't what you think." he says, coming closer to me. I walk back, away from him, shaking my head.

 

"No. It's exactly what it is. I heard what you said to her, I saw what you two did. I'm not going to become my father in this relationship." I say. Jungkook raises an eyebrow.

 

"We found out my ex-wife cheated on me." my dad says, leaning against the doorway. We both look over at him and my dad moved himself into my room.

 

"I think it's best if you left." my dad tells Jungkook. Jungkook looks at me and I can tell he wanted to say something. He looks at my dad and nods. He walks out the room and then out the house. I start sobbing and my dad comes over to me and gives me a hug. He sits both of us down on my bed and he rubs my arms, rocking me back and forth as I keep crying.

 

"I thought he was different." I say. My dad keeps going "sh".

 

"It's okay. It's okay." he says. He kisses the top of my head and continues rubbing my arm.

 

***

 

The rest of the holidays, Jungkook kept trying to call me, text me, and even got Jimin and TaeHyung to try and talk to me. I ignored all three of them. I should've taken the chance to change partners, now I'm stuck with Jungkook for the rest of the year.

 

Today was when we go back to school. It was lunch time and I'm back to how I was in the beginning of the school year, eating alone. Being alone. It's what I'm best at anyways and it's where I can have no drama at all.

 

"JiYoon! Yah!" I hear someone shout. I turn around and see Jimin walk towards me. I quickly get up and go over to the trash can to throw my food away. I quickly walk out the cafeteria. I feel him grab my shoulder and I turn around myself, shrugging him off. I look at him, and then walk away.

 

***

 

It was art and I got into class first. I was alone in there and slowly, one by one, students came in. I stared at the ground, thinking. I wondered if JungSoon went home already. Gosh, I didn't really get to say goodbye. I still have her gift unopened in my room too. I wonder what she got me. But, I don't know if I want to open it. She's Jungkook's sister, I don't want to be reminded of him.

 

Speaking of Jungkook, he walks into the class and sits down next to me. I face away from him and continue staring at the ground.

 

Everybody got in the class and it starts.

 

"Okay, so you guys should know what to do. Use a different medium for your project." Mr. Song says, sitting on his desk and observes us.

 

I get up and grab two blocks of clay. I go back to my seat and place one in front of Jungkook.

 

"There. Make a flower." I said. Although I hate him right now, I still want a good grade.

 

I don't look at him at all. I just focus on my block of clay, and try to turn it into a pretty good flower.

 

I kept ripping the clay apart and putting them together. I squished it, rolled it, folded it, and did whatever to create a flower out of it. But I just couldn't do it. I lift up my head and looked over at Jungkook, seeing that he hasn't even touched the clay. I continued with mine, still trying to figure out how it works.

 

I've never had anyone make me feel like this.

 

Like what?

 

Happy.

 

Our conversation plays through my head and I try to shake it off.

 

You're not like the other girls. You weren't all over me...and I guess I actually fell for you trying to make you fall for me.

 

I broke down in class. I burried my face into my arms, leaning it on the desk. I started sobbing, not even caring if the other students heard.

 

I started sobbing because all the things Jungkook told me, all the things that made me feel different and special, were just nothing now. The way he'd treat me and cared, is just nothing anymore. I thought he finally changed. I thought I could trust him and actually like him now, but no. I should know that bad guys can't ever go good.

 

I feel someone pat my back and I look up to see who it was. It was Jungkook. As soon as I looked at him, he removed his hand and faced forward. I sit up and wipe my tears. Mr. Song walks up to me.

 

"Miss Yoo, are you okay?" he asks. I sigh and nod my head. "If you need air, you can go step outside."

 

I nod and took up the offer. I get up from my seat and go outside. I go a bit far away from the class and sit against the wall. I bring my knees to my chest, as I always do, and jusy stare out into nothing. I've cried too much now. I'm so numb. I feel my chin, where the burn is, and it's scabbed a little. I look at my arms, and they're also a bit scabbed. I sigh and bury my face back into my arms.

 

Jungkook cheats. My mom cheats. I guess there's a reason why my father didn't really scold me or said "I told you so". We both got cheated on, it's dumb to yell at each other. If he lectured me about it, all I cam say is "you got cheated on too" and he'll go quiet.

 

I get up a few minutes later and go back in the classroom. I sit down in my seat and I notice that Jungkook is finally trying to use the clay. I see him look over at me, but then back at the clay.

 

40 minutes later, class finally ends. I get up, throw my backpack over my shoulder, and head out the room.

 

"JiYoon!" I hear Jungkook shout from behind me. I groan and continue walking. He catches up and stops in front of me. I try to walk around him but he kept stepping in front of me. I sighed and just looked at his shoes.

 

"About the project," he starts, "Are you going to be coming over to work on it or..."

 

"No. We can just work on it during class." I say. I look at him and he slowly nods. Then, his eyes widen. His hand quiclkly grabs my chin and I got too shocked to even slap it away. His thumb goes across the scab.

 

"Did you..."

 

I slap his hand away finally. I bit my bottom lip, feeling my eyes tearing up.

 

"JiYoon...I'm..."

 

"Stop. Just stop it Jungkook." I say. "I'm not your girlfriend. I'm not your friend. We're just art partners. Don't worry about me anymore. I don't need you."

 

Jungkook stands there, just looking at me. I bit the inside of my lip and just walked away. I don't know what to do anymore