Chapter 12

Without You

We were sitting in a taxi going to the airport. It was kind of awkward since I'm not talking to him as a friend. I didn't speak at all. He didn't either. I could tell that he tried to. I was even about to say something to him but I stopped myself. I feel like it was more awkward for his sister, who was sitting in the front.

 

We arrived to the train station and took another hour ride to get to the airport. Getting to Incheon is such a hassle. I was sitting in the middle of JungSoon and Jungkook. I felt more awkward.

"You excited to go back home eonni?" I asked her. She looks at me and smiles.

"Yeah. I really do miss my friends back there. But, I'm glad I came back to see my family. It was also great meeting you." she tells me. I smile and nod. She leans closer to my ear.

"You know, you make my Jungkook happy." she whispers. "But for the past few weeks, he's been acting a bit you know, tense with you. You haven't been responding back to him much either. Any reason why?"

I just look at her and she starts laughing. Jungkook looks over at us.

 

***

We wave goodbye to her and she leaves our sight from the airport. Jungkook and I stood awkwardly next to each other. I look around and I see him walk off. I look at him.

"Yah! Where are you going?" I shout. He stops walking and looks at me.

"Home. I thought you were following me." he says. I glare at him and he starts smiling. I roll my eyes and catch up to him. As soon as I reached him, he put his arms around me and started walking back to where the train is.

"Remember when we went to the palace?" he says. I shrug his arms off me, even though my heart started beating fast. No. JiYoon, you have a boyfriend.

"Yeah. Why?"

"Remember that couple who said we looked like a good couple?" Jungkook says. I stopped walking and looked at him.

"Why?" I say. He shrugs and smiles really huge. Then he walks off.

***

YeJun held my hand as we walked to art class. He found my 5th period and waited for me outside until class ended.

"We're going out tonight, right?" he asks me, stopping in front of the art class. I chuckle at him and nod.

"Yes. Yes. Yes. Nothing will change my mind. I have no plans today." I tell him. He smiles and pulls me closer to him. I look at him and my heart started beating fast, but not in the way it did last night with Jungkook. I was kind of nervous of what he's going to do.

He leans closer and gives me a short kiss on my lips. He pulls away and then squishes my cheek. I forced out a smile. I had no idea what I was feeling inside my stomach.

"Let's go inside now." he says. I nod and he puts his arms around me.

"Excuse me." someone says behind us. I turn around and it's Jungkook. He looks at me and then pushes himself inside the class.

We go and sit down and the bell rings.

"Okay class, today we'll take a break on you guys doing your projects." Mr. Song says. Everyone sighs in relief. I do too, since we don't have an idea yet for our cities.

"Instead, today will be a rest day. I have a movie you guys can watch all day today. I'll probably get in trouble if it has nothing to do with art, so I found an interesting movie you guys will like, with just a touch of art in it." he says. He goes to turn off the lights, and then plays the movie.

Five minutes into the movie, I catch YeJun waving his hands from where he's seating. He pats the empty seat next to him, telling me to go and sit next to him. I look at Jungkook and Jungkook's looking at YeJun. Then he looks over at me.

"What? Why are you looking at me?" he says. "You're boyfriend's calling you. Go."

I get up from my seat and go and sit next to YeJun. I had no idea why I was looking for Jungkook's permission. It's like if Jungkook said no, I'd listen. Come on, YeJun's my boyfriend. Not Jungkook.

"Where do you want to go after school?" YeJun asks me. I shrug.

"How about bubble tea?" he says. I nod my head and he chuckles. I look over at Jungkook and he's staring intently at the movie. I doubt he's even paying attention to what's happening.

"Are you and Jungkook getting closer now?" YeJun asks me. I guess he caught me looking at him.

"I don't know. I guess. He's still not my friend though. We're just partners." I answer.

"Sure? Because partners don't go to the airport to drop of their sister."

"YeJun, I went for his sister. Not for him. His sister is my friend." I tell him. "She wanted me to go."

He nods his head and apologizes. I just chuckle and shake my head.

***

We were sitting at the bubble tea place. I was sipping onto my drink when I heard a familiar voice. I turned my head and saw TaeHyung.

"Oh come on." I say out loud. TaeHyung turns towards me and walks over.

"Are you following me?" I say. He laughs and shakes his head.

"Nope. I wanted bubble tea myself. Nice to see you here with him." TaeHyung says. YeJun just raises his eyebrows and continues drinking.

"Okay. Bye." I tell TaeHyung. He rolls his eyes and leaves to the line. I watch him as he takes out his phone and makes a call, looking over at something. I trace where his eyes are staring and see a girl, sitting alone by the window.

"Yah. Kookie-ah. Where are you?" TaeHyung says, quite loud. Everyone in the shop looks over at him. Even the girl. She sits up as soon as she looked at him.

"Okay. Hurry up. I'm lonely." TaeHyung says, and then hangs up. . He's coming here?

"YeJun. We should go somewhere else. I feel weird in here." I say. YeJun looks at me weird and then nods his head.

We both stand up and head straight for the door, but Jungkook walks in. He looks at us and the looks over at TaeHyung. I turn to see TaeHyung, and I see him pointing over at the girl who was sitting alone. I hear Jungkook groan at TaeHyung, and then he walks over to sit in front of the girl. I walk out with YeJun.

"Ah, as always. Jungkook gets another girl." YeJun says. I look at him and he starts chuckling and shakes his head. "He'll probably break up with her a few weeks later from now."

I say "Tch." and push his arm.

"What? You know it's true." he says. I sigh and take a sip from my drink. I sadly agree with him. I mean, that's all I know about Jungkook and girls. He dumps them easily. I never heard of him being in a serious relationship.

Now that I think of it. Have I even gotten Jungkook's number? No. I don't even have his number and we've known each other for a few months. Not even those times we were, "friends". With this situation I'll never get his number. As a friend. I have a boyfriend. He has a girlfriend? I think? And I'm not going to be his friend. I'm honestly waiting for a sincere apology. Not him trying to woo me over with kisses to my neck.

"Want to continue walking or want me to walk you home?" YeJun asks, grabbing my hand and holds it.

"I'd like to go home right now." I say.

"Okay. I'll walk you there." he says. I shake my head.

"No. It's fine. I can go alone."

"You sure?" he asks and I nod my head.

"Yeah. It's just...I'm not comfortable with people knowing where I live." I say. He raises and eyebrow and then scoffs.

"Does Jungkook know where you live?" he says. My mouth opens in shock. I couldn't believe he just said that. I scoff and shake my head.

"No. He does not know where I live. I said I'm not comfortable with people knowing where I live." I tell him. He nods and lets go of my hand.

"See you tomorrow then." he says.

"Tomorrow's Saturday."

"I know." he says, and walks off. I shake my head at him and just stand there for a few minutes. I turn around and the bubble tea shop was just a few blocks away. We didn't walk a great distance at all.

I see Jungkook walking out, with the girl behind him. I look at them and she's smiling. She seems happy to be next to him. I look at him and I couldn't tell if he was actually smiling, or forcefully smiling. Her head was in the way. I just smile a little and then turn around and walk straight home.

***

"JiYoon, answer me honestly. Do you have a boyfriend?" my dad asks. "I mean, you're always out and when I asked last time, you said you were out with a guy friend. Was it your boyfriend?"

I laugh and then shake my head.

"Yeah, I have a boyfriend Dad. But that guy friend I was talking about is not my guy friend. He's not even my friend anymore. But I do have one." I tell him. He just nods and tells me to sit next to him on the couch.

"Just know that if he does anything to you, you come to me and I'll set him straight." he says. I start laughing. "And, sorry about me exploding on you that day. Just your mom and I had an argument, and when you came home late it worried me and I let the anger out on you instead. Sorry."

I smile at him and hug him.

"It's okay. I still love you. And Mom." I say. He chuckles and pulls away. He rubs my arms and then gets up and goes over to the kitchen.

***

"Hello?" I say, picking up my phone.

"Babe. I said that I'll see you today, so meet me up at the park near the school." YeJun says. I groan at look at the time. It's not early but it's early for me. 9am too early.

"Alright. I'll be there. Bye." I hang up. I get up from my bed and go through my closet, just finding whatever clothes would look good together. I grab a sweater that I haven't worn in weeks and just throw it over my sleeping shirt. Something fell out of it.

I looked down at saw my lighter laying down on the floor. Wow, I haven't used that ever since I met YeJun. The only reason I haven't used it was because I didn't want YeJun to see it. He'd probably break up with me if he finds out that I do this. But, I don't really like YeJun as much as I thought I would. But because of him, I stopped burning myself.

I sit down on my floor, next to my lighter. I stared at it and thoughts came to my head. I want YeJun to break up with me, but then that means I can start burning myself without worry. So, I want to keep dating him, because it'll keep me from burning myself. But I don't want him to find out and think I'm just using him. Jungkook doesn't even know that I got a new lighter. If he finds out, would he even care now that we're technically not friends? Now that he has a girlfriend to worry about? Would he throw it away like before? What if YeJun stayed with me and was caring and understood? I'd feel more bad because I want to break up with him.

Too many stressful thoughts in my head. There was so many, that I did not realize that I was holding the lighter in my hand, burning my arm again, with tears falling down from my eyes. I didn't realize that it was happening. I was freaking out too much on my own.

I stared at my arm and saw how red and burnt brown it was, from now and past burns. I shook my head and threw my lighter across the room. I buried my face into my hands and just started breaking down. What if YeJun finds out? But I want him to find out. Do I? How about Jungkook? Would he even care? Oh gosh what am I thinking.