Chapter 11

Without You

"Be careful." Jungkook says, as people are lined up at Mr. Song's desk to hand in their projects. I just look forward and ignore him, even though I have no idea what he's talking about.

I hear him sigh.

"Fine then. Don't listen. Punk." he mumbles under his breath. I tried not to chuckle at him.

It was silent for a few more minutes.

"Be careful of YeJun hyung. That's all." he says. Now, I look at him. He's looking at me. Before I could open my mouth, YeJun came over.

"Hey!" he says, starting to massage my shoulders. For some reason I felt uncomfortable by it, but it's probably because Jungkook was looking directly at us.

"Hey Kookie." YeJun says.

"Don't call me that." Jungkook groans back. He turns around and away from us. I wonder what he meant by "be careful".

I'm sitting there, awkward. YeJun then stops massaging me and goes beside me.

"So what do you think of my project?" he asks me. He points at a clay sculpure on Mr. Song's desk. It was a cactus. It looked cool. I wonder how they got it to look so prickly.

"It looks nice." I answer. Jungkook scoffs, as if he was trying not to laugh. But I wasn't lying, his sculpture does look nice.

Mr. Song calls YeJun and his partner over. I'm again left alone with Jungkook.

"You know we're partners?" Jungkook says, looking at me again.

"Oh now you want to talk to me." I mutter. But he hears.

"JiYoon, I meant what I said when I apologized." he says. I keep looking forward.

"I don't believe you with the way you apologized." I said. I hear him slightly chuckle.

"Hey, well it worked on other girls." he says.

"Well, I'm not other girls. And ew, gross."

"Hey! You're speaking to me!" he says, his voice turning like a kid. I look at him and he's smiling innocently. Unlike Jimin, Jungkook looks adorable.

"Okay. I will be grading your guys' project after school today and tomorrow. You have about 30 minutes left of class. Go brainstorm your next project! Hope you guys didn't loose the piece of paper." Mr. Song announces. Everyone gets to work. Everyone but Jungkook and I.

"Which items do we have left?" Jungkook asks. I reach into my backpack and take out the folded piece of paper I keep in my binder.

"Flower. Pencil. City." I answered. Now that I think of it, this is like the first day of school. On that day, I tried talking to Jungkook but he wouldn't cooperate. Now it's the same thing, but now I won't cooperate.

I place the piece of paper in front of him, for him to see. He takes it and looks at it.

"We should do a city." he says. "Because that seems the hardest, you know?"

I just look at him. He rolls his eyes.

"Fine. Stay mad at me but at least talk to me as your partner." he argues.

"Okay." I say. He raises an eyebrow.

"Okay?"

"Yeah. Okay. We're just partners right?" I say. He nods and looks back at the paper.

"Come over. My sister misses you honestly. Surprisingly. And we can work on the project." he says. Unbelievable.

"Uh oh. Do you have a date after school with hyung?" he asks. I laugh and shake my head.

"Okay good. So you're coming over."

"Fine." I say.

***

Class ended and YeJun asked if I wanted to get ice cream. I said no and told him that I was going to work on the project. He gave me a questioning look and then let me go.

I walked a short distance behind Jungkook. In all honesty, I was happy to be slightly talking to him again. Even though I'm the one doing the ignoring now.

Jungkook opens the door to his house and we both walk in. Wow, I sure did miss this place. JungSoon was sitting on the sofa. Her face shotted towards us and as soon as she spotted me, she lit up.

"JiYoon!" she shouts, getting up and coming to us.

"Ah, so my little Jungkook made things right after all?" she says. I raise an eyebrow at her, and then look at Jungkook. Jungkook looked at me and then put his arm around me, facing his sister.

"Yeah! Like you told me noona!" he says. "Give us a minute."

Jungkook pulls me into the kitchen.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"Okay. So the day you just stormed out of here, my sister asked me what was wrong and stuff. I told her nothing but then you told her everything, I guess, and she told me to make things right with you. But it was so awkward because you wouldn't even talk to me." he says. I sigh.

"Sorry, but we're still not friends." I tell him.

"Yeah. Okay. But with my sister around, can you act like one? I don't want to dissapoint her and such. She's leaving in a week so just for a week." he asks me. I sigh again and then nod. We both head out the kitchen, but then Jungkook stops and looks at me.

"What will make you forgive me?" he asks. I laugh.

"I don't know. You figure it out." I tell him, and push past him, walking back into the living room.

"Everything all right?" JungSoon asks.

"Yeah! Everything's fine. Jungkook just wanted to know if I-uhm...knew how to cook." I mentally face-palm myself, and I can tell Jungkook's doing the same. JungSoon raises an eyebrow.

"Are you going to cook here?" she asks.

"Yup!" Jungkook butts in. I think this is Jungkook's way of getting me to stay.

"Actually, we can cook now. Our project can come later. JiYoon!" Jungkook shouts, walking into the kitchen. Damn. JungSoon is going to figure out that something's up.

"Are you serious?" I yell at Jungkook.

"Hey, you said cooking. So now, you're cooking." he says, taking out eggs and bacon. I guess his sister brought them from America. It's in pure English.

"I don't know how to make bacon." I say.

"Same here. We can both learn." he says, taking out a skillet. I roll my eyes and go up to him.

***

Jungkook had to look on the internet the correct way of making bacon. I didn't knoe you could just heat them up in a microwave. That would've made everything easier.

It's okay though. The first few I burnt because I left it on the pan. Skillet? Aren't they the same thing? Anyways, the rest were completely fine. I'm assuming because Jungkook keeps eating them when I finish.

He takes another piece of bacon.

"Yah! Jeon Jungkook!" I shout. I turn to face him, and my right arm got pressed against the hot pan. I yelled and dropped the spatula on the ground. I squeezed the part I burnt. Jungkook ran back to me.

"Did you burn yourself?" he asks. I nod. He grabs my arm and takes it over to the sink. He quickly turns the cold water on and let it run over my arm.

"Aish. You've burnt yourself before how does this hurt more?" he asks.

"Because I didn't see this coming." I yell back at him. That's the thing with self-harming yourself. I may burn myself with a lighter, but I'm used to the pain I cause myself and I know when it's coming. I feel like JungSoon maybe felt this way. She'd cut herself, knowing the amount of pain it'd give her. But as soon as she gets an unexpecting paper cut, it's like the end of the world.

Jungkook grabs my left arm quickly and pulls my sleeves down. He sighs in relief. Wow, I forgot he knew about those, even though he just mentioned it. He pulled my sleeve back up and continued with my other burn.

He turns off the water and sits me down at his table.

"Punk. I'll finish it." he says, picking up the spatula. I slightly smile to myself and chuckle.

He finishes 3 and I take one.

"Aish. Now I know how annoyed you felt when I take them." Jungkook says. I stick my tongue out at him and walk out the kitchen.

***

Time really does fly by fast. Jungkook and I are becoming close again, but as partners. I'm still ignoring him as a friend. It's kind of funny.

YeJun asked me to be his girlfriend a few days ago. I accepted. He started to really grow on me and he is pretty cute. I still can't believe he's an upperclassman.

"Babe." YeJun says, coming up to me and hugging me from behind as I leave the school gates.

"Yes?"

"Hang with me today." he says. "If you're going to Jungkook's house, tell him you changed your mind."

I chuckled to myself. I can see where that's coming from. Everyday I went to Jungkook's house to work on the project. Both of us still have no actually good ideas for the city.

"Okay. Okay." I say. He pecks my cheek.

"Knock knock." TaeHyung says, tapping my shoulders. I turn and look at him.

"You know, for a girl who was a loner, you seemed to gain popularity pretty fast." he says. "I wonder why." He looks at YeJun.

"Oh please TaeHyung. You guys are the reason why the school knows who I am." I corrected him.

"Us? How?" he asks.

"Well, first Jungkook teased me in Art. Then we were friends and he just blew me off like nothing. I fainted as Jungkook was holding my waist. You had your arm around me in a crowd. Jimin keeps flirting with me. Oh, and that you three are known by everyone at this school?" I tell him.

"Wait, you and Jungkook aren't friends?" TaeHyung asks. I shook my head.

"Just art partners."

"Aw. Then that . Are you going to bloe Jungkook off today?" he says. I raise an eyebrow.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know. At lunch he seemed pretty excited to have you go to Incheon airport tonight, for his sister."

I stood there. . I forgot yesterday, JungSoon told me that she was leaving today. Her and Jungkook wanted me to come and send her off. I totally forgot. I get out of YeJun's hug.

". Sorry YeJun. I forgot that I had to go to the airport with him. His sister's leaving and I promised her." I say, hoping he wouldn't get mad. He sighs.

"Alright. But tomorrow, for sure we're going out." he says. I chuckle and nod. He pecks my lips and walks away. I look at TaeHyung and he laughs as soon as YeJun leaves.

"By the way, I was kidding. I mean I knew about you going to the airport with them but I was just making up that Jungkook was excited." TaeHyung says. I look at him.

"I just don't like him. YeJun! That is. Not Jungkook. I love Jungkook."

"I know you do." I say.

"I'm just saying. That's a warning about YeJun." he winks at me and then walks away. TaeHyung, now that I slightly know him more, he's actually really weird. You wouldn't believe that he's the "bad boy".

"Oh look. There's your boyfriend." TaeHyung says, pointing behind me. I turned around and saw Jungkook walking towards me. I turned back around to glare at TaeHyung, but he was gone. Dammit TaeHyung.