Chapter 5

Without You
Great. Just what I needed. For everyone to stare at me.
 
"Is she actually dating one of them?" I hear as I'm walking towards the cafeteria. How great.
 
I don't get food, and I just go to an empty lunch table. I sit down and take out my sketchbook. I open it up to the drawing I drew, and the drawing Jungkook colored in with detail. I kept staring at it. I ran my fingers through each detail that I drew, and that he colored in. I started smiling to myself. We can actually get an A on this project. Now, can I draw this on a big canvas and he paint it in? That'd make it very beautiful.
 
"You really like it, huh?" I hear someone say. I look up and it was Jungkook, sitting down in front of me with his tray of food. I look back down at the drawing and then close the sketchbook. I put it back in my bag and just look at the table.
 
"Can you at least talk to me? You don't have to talk to TaeHyung or Jimin, but I'm your partner." He says. I look at him.
 
"I'll only talk to you only in class, okay?" I tell him.
 
"Well, at least you'll talk to me." He says, getting up and walking away. He left his tray on the table. The food on it hasn't been touch. I turn around to see where he was going and he was back in the lunch line. I look back in front of me, at the tray full of food. I slightly smile to myself, bringing the tray closer to me, and eating what was on it.
 
***
 
"Can you try paint?" I ask Jungkook. He sighs and shrugs.
 
"I'll try paint." He says. He gets up from his seat and goes over to the paintbrushes and what not. I get up and go over to a canvas, bringing it closer to our desk. I always wondered how Mr. Song graded us in this class. We don't do anything but work on our project that's due in a month and a half. Maybe participation, attitude, and attendance. If we do bad on this project, will it bring down our grade by a lot? I hope not.
 
I outline something very simple onto the canvas. I outlined a rough sketch of a girl's face. Jungkook goes over and looks at it. He then tries to paint it.
 
It took him almost the whole class time to paint it. If he only did it roughly, like how I did with the outlining, he could've finished it about 20 minutes ago. No, when he finished it, I was amazed again. He really did try. He really has some talent that he doesn't know about, or does know but doesn't want to show since he's a "tough guy".
 
I walk closer to the canvas and start smiling really huge. He looks at me and I can see him start to smile as well. Why can't Jeon Jungkook be like this everyday to everyone? Besides the bad boy image he's holding onto.
 
"It ." I say, trying to hold in my laugh.
 
"What?" He shouts. I couldn't help it, I let out a small laugh. I look at him and he's rolling his eyes. I caught him chuckling when he turned his face away from me.
 
"We're going to get an A." I tell him. He looks back at me.
 
"You think so?" He says. I nod.
 
"You have talent Jeon. You do."
 
He raises an eyebrow at me.
 
"Jeon?" He says.
 
"What?"
 
"You know what'd be funny if I called you Yoo. It's funny to say." He says. "You did good, Yoo."
 
"Ew. Just call me by my first name." I say. He chuckles and then nods.
 
"What's this piece of art?" Mr. Song says, standing behind us. Both Jungkook and I turn around and see how close he was, leaning in to observe the painting.
 
"Who painted this?" Mr. Song asks. I pointed at Jungkook and Jungkook raises his hand. He looks like such an innocent child, I chuckled.
 
"You Mr. Jeon? You have talent with paint brushes and detail." He says. I smile because that's exactly what I said, kind of.
 
"Yeah, but JiYoon outlined this for me. I just painted it all in." Jungkook tells him. Mr. Song looks over at me, his face full of amazement. He then looks at Jungkook, and back at the painting.
 
"You two have really good team work." He says. "Is your weakness coloring things in Miss Yoo?"
 
I nod my head.
 
"And you can't draw?" He asks Jungkook. Jungkook shrugs. That made me think that he can draw, how else can he paint so well?
 
"I can't wait to see your guys' final masterpiece." Mr. Song says, smiling and walking away to observe the other students.
 
"Do you have a canvas, or paints at your home?" I ask Jungkook. He thought about it for a while, and then shook his head.
 
"Why?" He asks.
 
"I was thinking of doing the final project after school. Finishing it up so we can have free time in class, you know?" I say.
 
"This class is basically free time." He says. I roll my eyes.
 
"You know what I mean." I say. "Ah, it's okay. I'll go buy some after school and just go to your house later."
 
"I'll go with you." He says. I raise an eyebrow at him.
 
"I mean, I'm the one that's going to be painting so let me choose the colors to use." He tells me. I nod.
 
***
 
I was holding onto a medium sized canvas and a pack with different sizes of paint brushes. Jungkook was just looking at the colors.
 
"Is it going to be the same drawing you drew when you broke down?" He asks me. I scoff at him for bringing that up. He looks at me.
 
"Yes." I say. He chuckles, rolls his eyes, and turns back around. He grabs the colors he needed and we go off to pay for the supplies.
 
"24,050 won." The cashier guy says. I take out my wallet, but Jungkook beat me to it. He paid for everything. He even grabs the bags all on his own, and walks out. I follow him.
 
"I can help." I told him.
 
"I thought you said you'll only talk to me in class." He says. He stops walking and looks at me.
 
"We're not in school. I don't have to worry about anyone looking at me or talking about me." I tell him. He chuckles and continues walking.
 
"Why not? Maybe there's a guy out there that likes you. Maybe there are people who want to be friends with you, because you're friends with me. Why don't you want that?" He goes.
 
"Are you going to carry those home by yourself?" I ask, ignoring the subject.
 
"You didn't answer my question." He says.
 
"You didn't answer mine."
 
"I asked you first." He goes. I groan and I feel like he's laughing at me to himself.
 
"I have trust issues. And I don't like people." I tell him.
 
"Why?" He asks. The tone of his voice changed a little. It was more calm.
 
"My parents. They fight everyday. My dad is nuts and I know for sure he's cheating on my mom. My mom acts like she loves my dad when she really doesn't. She knows he's cheating on her whenever he says he's going to the motel. We know he's not going there. And if he is, he's not going alone." I say, my heart beating faster when I realized I told him things I didn't want anyone to know about.
 
"That's why you burn yourself?" He asks me. I don't answer this time.
 
"You answer my question." I say.
 
"Yes. I will be carrying these back by myself. Now is that why you burn yourself?" He asks.
 
"Maybe." I quietly say. He breathes out.
 
"You have the same reasons my sister hurt herself. She reached for the blade, you went for the fire." He says.
 
"Your parents fought?" I asked, slightly regretting it after.
 
"Yeah. What made it worse was that they're hardly home. They work a lot but we still live normally. We're not rich, but we're not poor. Since I'm the youngest they paid more attention to me. I didn't see that it hurt my sister." He says.
 
I caught up to him and walked next to him. I never thought I'd say this but, I like this Jungkook. I want to be friends with this Jungkook. The guy who won't judge me for what I do, because he experienced a loved one doing it. And, he's talented with art. Bonus.
 
"So that's why you push people away. Loner." He says, chuckling after I hit his arm. "You wouldn't date anyone huh? You're too afraid they'll turn out like one of your parents?"
 
I stare at him as he's walking, his face facing forward. It's like he's reading my mind. It's like he really knows me. I always read these in books, or see it in movies. When the depressed meets someone who understands them, it feels like they've known each other for so long because they connect with such a depression situation. They both understand something very sad. Their conversations are always deep, making it feel like you've known them for a long time. So this is how it feels like in real life? To meet someone like that?
 
"It's true huh?" He says, noticing that I didn't answer.
 
"Yeah. Basically. And also people are annoying. I mean people like you." I didn't lie.
 
He scoffs.
 
"I'm serious! You guys annoyed me so much. Hearing your names everywhere I went. Hearing that you beat this guy up, or that you broke this girl's heart. It was so annoying and I never understood why any girl in our school would want to date someone like you guys." I explained.
 
"Do I still annoy you?" He asks.
 
"Eh." I reply. "But your two friends do. They still annoy me."
 
He laughs.
 
***
 
"You've been in my house more than any of my past girlfriends." He said. I shivered. Gross. I think he noticed my shiver.
 
"No, nasty. I didn't do whatever you think I did with them in here. I'm not like Jimin hyung." He says. I shivered more. Ew, Jimin does it.
 
I place the canvas on the coffee table and take out a pencil from my bag. Jungkook sets the paints on the table.
 
I start outlining the drawing I did last time. I wanted this to be perfect, since this was going to be turned in. I knew it would take me a few hours, so I told Jungkook to relax and do whatever he wanted in the mean time.
 
It honestly took me about an hour and a half to make it look perfect. I kept gently erasing and changing some stuff. But I finally finished it. I looked around the living room to tell Jungkook that I was finished, but I didn't see him anywhere. Maybe he went to his room.
 
I left the canvas on the coffee table and walked upstairs. I knocked on his bedroom door but there was no answer. I opened it. Nobody was in there.
 
I walked back downstairs and into his kitchen. He wasn't there.
 
"Hello." Jungkook says right behind me. I jumped and held onto my chest, breathing hard since he scared me.
 
"Where were you?" I shouted at him. He laughed.
 
"I was following you the whole time. I walked out the bathroom in my room when you left the room." He says. I roll my eyes and go back into the living room.
 
"Go paint the drawing." I say, sitting down on the couch, resting my head on its arm.
 
He sits next to me and does as I say.
 
***
 
I check the time and it's been past 2 and a half hours since he's been painting. I also fell asleep as he was painting. He seems to focused, I don't think he noticed.
 
"Oh, you're awake?" He says. Never mind, he noticed. "I finished by the ways. I literally just painted your hands before you woke up."
 
I sat up straight and looked at my hands. I glared at him. He lied. He smiles at me innocently and then picks up the canvas, showing me what he has done. Again, I was amazed. I was so amazed that I couldn't help but to hug him. I was so happy.
 
He grunted and slowly put the canvas down on the coffee table. I felt him awkwardly hug me back. I pulled away and chuckled.
 
"For a girl who hates people, you sure seem to like me." He says. I roll my eyes.
 
"It's because you've been nice to me. I'm surprised." I tell him.
 
"Other people can be nice to you." He says. "Just give them a try. Not everyone's like your parents."
 
"Dammit Jungkook. I'm suppose to hate you." I shout. "I've hated you for two years man."
 
He starts laughing and I try hard not to laugh along with him. He then stops laughing and his face changed expressions very quickly. His face showed curiosity, which gave mine curiosity as well to why he looks that way.
 
He grabs both my arms and lifts both of my sleeves up. My breathing grew faster and my heart beat more. I don't know why, I didn't burn myself ever since he threw my lighter away. I was scared even though I did nothing. Probably because it caught me off guard.
 
"Good." He says. I pull my arms away and pull my sleeves back down.
 
"We're friends." He says.
 
"If being friends with you means that I have to be friends with Jimin and TaeHyung, then no thanks. I rather stick as partners." I say.
 
"Partners for a project don't tell each other secrets about their family problems." He says, looking at me. "You know it. We're friends."
 
I scoff. Dammit.