Chapter 24

Without You

"Here." my dad says, handing me my present.

I grab it and rip it open. I open the lid from the box and see two sketch books and a whole box full of colored pencils and crayons. I get up and hug my dad tightly, saying thank you about a billion times.

I sit back down and grab his gift, handing it to him. He slowly opens it. He lifts up the sweater and starts smiling at it.

"This is actually pretty nice." he says. I chuckle and he hugs me.

"Merry Christmas Dad!" I say, he pats my back and says it back. He gets up and walks over to the kitchen. A few minute later, he comes out with two plates in his hands.

"I made breakfast before you woke up." he says, sitting down and handing me a plate.

"We're eating in the living room?" I ask.

"Yeah. Why not? The TV is in here anyways." he says, turning on the TV to some christmas holiday episodes and starts eating his food.

"How was yesterday?" he asks.

"It was fun." I reply. He nods his head and continues looking at the TV.

"You know, if anything happens, you can talk to me." he says. I look at him and swallow. He looks at me as well.

"Why so overprotective all of a sudden?" I ask. "What about when I was talking about the first one?"

"I was too busy fighting with your mother." he answers, staring back at the TV. I sigh.

"You still want to stay with her New Years right?" he asks.

"Yeah, just stay over New Years Eve and then New Years night, come back home." I say. "Are you picking me up or is she dropping me home?"

"I asked your mother that and she said that she'll be dropping you home."

I nod my head and continue eating.

***

I stay laying on the couch the whole day, while my father played Christmas music. He made a whole bunch of food but I got full really quickly, and he saved the leftovers in the fridge. I wanted to call Jungkook, but I assumed he was with his family doing something. So, I decided on just sending him a text.

"Merry Christmas :)" I sent him. About a minute later, he replied back.

"Merry Christmas Yoo!" he said. I chuckled to myself.

"Are you busy or doing anything with your dad?" he sends after.

"No. Just laying on the couch." I sent. He doesn't reply back, but calls me.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Are you bored?" he asks.

"Kind of. I'm not doing anything so yeah." I reply.

"Hi JiYoon-ah!" I hear JungSoon shout in the background. I chuckle and say hi back as well.

"We're about to go out and have a little family picnic. Jungkook's idea." JungSoon says, getting closer to the phone.

"Jungkook's idea?" I asked. It doesn't sound like something he'd want.

"Yeah. Surprising I know. I think you made him like this." she jokes around. I hear Jungkook groan. "Wanna come?"

"Oh. I would but I rather stay with my dad, even if we're doing nothing." I tell them. They understood.

"Well, got to go. See you later then!" Jungkook says. I chuckle and nod.

"Bye!" I shout, and he hangs up.

"You rather stay with me even if it's boring?" my dad says, standing beside the couch. I jump up, a bit startled, and he chuckles.

"Yeah. It'd be sad if I left you Christmas." I told him. He smiles and walks into the kitchen.

***

It's the day after Christmas and I'm laying down on my bed, drawing into the new sketchbook my dad gave me. I was doodling random things into the first page. It's sad that Jungkook and I won't be able to draw again for the next to projects in art. Mr. Song specifically said that we have to use a different medium.

Maybe molding clay? Chisel a block? Glass art? Maybe even throw a bunch of random things together?

I'll ask Jungkook later then. What two objects do we have left? I reach over and grab my backpack that's on the floor. I look through for the piece of paper. I get a text message as I was searching. I found the piece of paper and the two objects we haven't done were the pencil and flower. What are we going to do for those two?

I put the piece of paper aside and continued to doodle. I started to doodle a flower and try to get ideas, but then I remembered again that we won't be allowed to do the same thing for the project. So what's the point of getting ideas for a drawing?

I close my sketchbook and put it on the ground. I lay on my bed and stare at the ceiling. I decide to take a nap, even though it's barely 11am. But, there's nothing to do and I'm kind of tired. I know I woke up about an hour ago but, too much sleep doesn't hurt.

I close my eyes and turn to lay on my side.

"Boo!" I hear someone shout. I scream and jump up. I look to see who it was and it was Jungkook, standing near my door. My eyes widen and I cover myself with my blanket, knowing that I'm wearing shorts and a tank top. I blushed from embarrassment.

He chuckles and walks over, sitting down on the far end of my bed.

"How'd you get in here?" I whisper.

"Your dad let me in." he says. "He even let me in your room surprisingly with how he acted towards me two days ago. All he said was to leave the door open."

I sit up, still covering myself with my blanket. He raises an eyebrow and chuckles, shaking his head.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him. He shrugs and lays down. As he laid down, the blanket pulled towards him and I lost my grip on it. I try to pull it back to cover myself, even though nothing bad was really showing, but it wouldn't budge since he was laying down on it.

He turns his head towards me and I pull my knees up to my chest.

"I don't know. I was bored at home and my sister went out with her friends from here." he says, he lays down on his side, facing me. "What are you doing?"

I look down at myself hugging my knees, and then look back at him. He chuckles and rolls his eyes, laying back down on his back and staring at the ceiling. My dad passes by to go to his room, and then he comes back and looks into mine. Both Jungkook and I stare at him. My dad smiles and walks back towards his room. He closes his door.

I look at Jungkook and he's back to staring at the ceiling. I stand up from my bed and quickly run to my closet. I open it and close it as I go inside. I pick a random sweater and throw it on. I open the closet and walk out, seeing Jungkook now laying on his stomach looking at me. He laughs a little and I roll my eyes.

"You're so cute." he says. I start to blush. I go back to my bed and sit on it, still hugging my knees because it feels warm.

Jungkook sits up and scoots closer to me. He gets close enough where he can put his arms around me. We ended up cuddling.

"Your dad closed his door so it's okay." he says. I just nod. I look at him and he scrunches his nose. He then pecks mine. He turns his head and looks at something on the ground. He picks up my sketch book and goes through it.

"Did your dad get you this?" he asks. I nodded.

He kept going through it, seeing nothing drawn. He opens the first page and sees my doodles.

"Is this for our project?" he asks. I shook my head.

"We can't do a painting. We have to do something else. Mr. Song said we all have to try something new for the new year." I tell him.

"How about clay modeling?" he says.

"Clay?"

"Yeah. It looks fun. And we can keep it to put up and stuff." he says. I chuckle and nod my head.

"Alright. Clay then." I say, he looks at me and smiles. He puts the sketchbook back on the ground, and goes on with cuddling me.

"Let's go out today." he says. I shrugged. "Lets go get some ice cream or something."

"But it's like super cold outside." I say. He shrugs and I accepted.

I stand up from my bed and grab his hand. I drag him towards my door and push him out the room.

"Hey!" he says, and looks at me. I grab the door and close it a little.

"Going to change, wait in the living room." I say, smiling at him, and then closing the door.

***

We walk around Seoul, hand in hand. We finished our ice cream and decided that it was too early to go home.

"What should we do for our flower?" I ask him. He looks at me, raising an eyebrow. "You know, the flower for our project? I feel like pencil should go last, I don't know."

He shrugs and pulls me close to him. He puts an arm around my shoulders. I chuckle and then got curious about something.

"With your ex's, since you only used them for your 'image', did you hang out with them outside of school?" I asked him. He stops walking and looks at me.

"Why?" he asks. I shrugged.

"I'm curious. Like, Jimin and TaeHyung say you date girls and be a jerk for your 'image', so I wonder if you also hung out with them outside of school. Like us right now." I say. He continues walking, his arm still around my shoulders.

"Rarely." he says. "In the beginning I do, and then later on I don't want them to think I actually like them, so I slowly stop even interacting with them."

I chuckle.

"Wow, even as a jerk you were slightly soft-hearted." I say. I look at him and he rolls his eyes. I grab the collar of his shirt so he can stop walking and I tip toe to his height and peck his lips. He quickly threw his arms around my neck, pulling me close to an almost hug, purposely covering our faces.

He kisses me and I start chuckling. He starts walking backwards, pulling me with him, until his back leaned against a wall. He leaned down more to my height, still covering our faces with his arms thrown around my neck. He did a pretty good job at it since he was wearing a thick red jacket.

I pulled away, barely. I couldn't even pull back all the way since his arms were tightly around my neck. Our noses were still touching. He leans his head up and pecks my nose. And then he leans to the right and pecks my cheek. He keeps pecking my cheek and I feel his arms release from my neck. They reached down towards my waist and he starts tickling me. I laugh and he turns me around and back-hugs me, starting to walk.

"I'm happy." he says.

"Why?"

"Because you haven't been down or had the urge to harm yourself."

I look up at him and he's smiling down at me. I look back forward. We continued walking wherever our feet took us. We ended up in a place both of us knew where it was. We found a nearest subway and went down in it. We looked at where the subway train would lead us, and took the one that would stop near Insadong. It was only 3 stops, we weren't as far or lost as we thought we were.

Jungkook back-hugged me the whole train ride. I chuckled quietly to myself, still not used to this. Sometimes I think that it's too-good-to-be-true or that it's all just a dream. That I'm still that quiet girl nobody knows or even cares about.

We arrived at our stop and get out, walking straight towards the streets of Insadong. We passed by an alleyway and Jungkook gets hit in the head with a cigarette. We both turn around and see Jimin and TaeHyung leaning against the wall. They both walk towards us.

"We should've known that you two would be out together this time of year." he says.

"You're talking like if they've been dating for years." TaeHyung says. Jimin scoffs.

"They act like it." he says. I roll my eyes. "Jungkook, got a cigarette?"

I look at Jungkook.

"Hyung, you know that I don't smoke." he says.

"I know. Just joking. I have a pack with me." he says, taking one out and lighting it. He blew out and I coughed. I started to cover my nose with the sleeve of my sweater.

"I think when we go back to school the new year, people will be shocked at you two." TaeHyung says.

"Why?" I asked.

"I don't know. Mainly because it's the holidays, it's usually when Jungkook stops talking to people. And the new year he's single. When they see you two still together, they'll be confused at Jungkook mostly." he says. Jungkook sighs.

"It's 7pm. You should walk her home." Jimin says.

"7pm isn't that late." I say.

"Oh it's not? Then TaeHyung and I will third-wheel you guys." he says, putting his arm around me and walking off. Jungkook and TaeHyung follow after.

Jimin lets go of me and Jungkook puts his arm around me instead. I groan at them two walking along with us.

"You know if you want us to leave, all you have to say is that we're friends." Jimin says. I groan and don't say anything. Jimin and TaeHyung get uncomfortably close to me and I push them away.

"Fine! Fine! We're friends. Happy?" I say. Both of them smile but then TaeHyung had something else in mind.

"Not really." he says. I raise an eyebrow at him. "Kiss you two."

My eyes widen.

"What?" I say.

"Hyung." Jungkook starts.

"I'm not gross. I don't want to see you two kiss. I'm just to teasing you. We'll leave you alone after." TaeHyung says. Jimin starts laughing and high fives him.

"Isn't it great being the youngest Kookie?" Jimin laughs. I groan again and exhale.

I ignore their request and hold Jungkook's hand, continuing to walk. I hear Jimin and TaeHyung complain. They started purposely complaining and whining to annoy us, or maybe just me. As we kept walking, they started just saying random stuff that really started giving me a headache. I groan and stop walking.

I throw my arms around Jungkook's neck and tip toe to his height, placing a long kiss on his lips. I feel him get startled at first, but then he threw his arms around my waist and kissed back. I hear Jimin and TaeHyung starting to laugh, probably surprised that I actually did it.

I slowly stop tip-toeing as Jungkook leaned down more towards my height. He pulls me closer to him, and he even deepens the kiss a bit more. I started to feel a bit uncomfortable, knowing that we're out in the public streets, and knowing that Jimin and TaeHyung are probably looking.

I pulled away and looked at Jungkook, he looked at me for a while, and then leaned back down to continue kissing me. I kissed back but then pull back again. I felt the atmosphere lighten up. I look behind Jungkook and saw no sign of Jimin or TaeHyung. I groan and Jungkook looks behind him.

"I hate them." I say. Jungkook looks at me and starts laughing. He pecks my lips and then holds my hand. I glare at him.

"And your kisses were better at the school when you made YeJun see." I tell him. He raises an eyebrow.

"Our first kiss was better?" he asks. I nod and he starts to smirk. He drags me with him until we went into an alleyway.

"Why?" he says. I shrugged, confused. He walks towards me and my back hit the wall. He places one hand near my head on the wall, and another cupping my cheek, like that day.

"Are you trying to reenact that day?" I asked him. He leans his face close to my ear and just his breathing made me shiver.

"I thought you weren't like Jimin." I said. He started to laugh. He kissed me shortly and pulled away. He holds my hand again and tugs it.

"Come on. Let me drop you home." he says. I glare at him.

"Oh, and I'm the tease." I say. He raises an eyebrow and back hugs me again, walking out the alleyway.

"Oh, so you wanted it?" he teases me. I scoff and he starts to walk me home.