Chapter 7

Without You
"Wow. This is amazing!" Mr. Song says, holding our project in front of the whole class. "How did you guys work together on it?"
 
"I lightly outlined the drawing onto the canvas. Jungkook just filled it all in." I replied. He moves his eyebrows up with amazement and nods, putting it away for it to be safe.
 
"Like I said yesterday, you two will be getting extra credit. Well done." He says, smiling. Jungkook and I both smile back, and the whole class is slowly clapping. They're probably confused with Jungkook's actions. I thought they'd be used to it; We've been acting like this for a few weeks now.
 
"So, how's your sister?" I asked Jungkook, remembering his sister came home yesterday.
 
"She's good." He answers. "She brought me some clothes from LA."
 
I chuckle and shake my head.
 
"Want to meet her?" He says. I raise an eyebrow. "What? She's cool and you two would definitely get along. Trust me."
 
I nodded. Sure. I wonder how his sister is.
 
***
 
"Jungkook!" Someone shouts as Jungkook and I leave the school gates. "Jungkookie! Where you going? We're suppose to go down to Insadong today."
 
It was TaeHyung. He walks towards us with Jimin behind him.
 
"Ah, hyung sorry. My sister came back home for a while." Jungkook replies. TaeHyung nods and was about to leave, but Jimin stayed.
 
"Is she going with you?" Jimin asks. Jungkook looks over at me. Dammit. I should've kept walking and act like I was leaving home by myself.
 
"Uh-"
 
"Ah, are you two dating now?" Jimin says, cutting Jungkook off. Jungkook quickly shook his head. Jimin just laughs and walk away.
 
"Let's go before they start a fight." Jungkook says, walking off towards his home.
 
***
 
"I'm JiYoon." I say as JungSoon, Jungkook's sister, asked for my name.
 
"JiYoon? Ah, that's a nice name. I haven't heard of a JiYoon." She says, shaking my hand. She isn't that much older than Jungkook. Well, okay 6 years older is a bit much older. Never mind.
 
"So you're Jungkook's girlfriend?" She asks.
 
"Friend." I corrected her, chuckling to make it sound nice. Jungkook laughs.
 
"I should record every time you tell people we're friends." He says. I scoff.
 
"Why?" JungSoon asks.
 
"Because, whenever I ask her if we're friends she shrugs or says she doesn't want to be. But to others she says we're friends." Jungkook explains. His sister starts to chuckle.
 
"Have you met our parents yet?" She asks me. I shake my head. "Good."
 
"Ah, noona she already knows about our parents, kind of. I told her. I even told her about you." Jungkook shouts from the kitchen.
 
"What? You did what?" JungSoon shouts at him.
 
"It's okay! JiYoon does the same thing!" He shouts back. "But with a lighter."
 
"Jungkook!" I yell. I can't believe he just did that. Both his sister and I just stand there in silent for a while. It was kind of awkward.
 
"Did he tell you why?" JungSoon asks, with slight resistance. I slowly nodded.
 
"Are you sure you two aren't dating?" She teases. My eyes widen and she starts to laugh. Jungkook comes back out with a bowl of cereal.
 
"You two get along. I'll go in my room." He says, about to head upstairs. JungSoon grabs the back of his collar and gives him the "are you sure about that?" stare. He looks at her for a while, and walks back over to the couch, plopping his on the cushion.
 
"You're her friend. Not me. Now, tell me how you two met." She says, sitting next to Jungkook. I just stand there next to the couch.
 
"Art class." Jungkook replies with his mouth full of cereal. Nice.
 
"We're partners for both terms so, we kind of had to know each other." I answer quietly. She nods.
 
"Have you two kissed yet?" She says. Jungkook spits out his cereal. I was caught off guard by that question, but then I assumed she's saying it just to tease Jungkook. I mean, that's what siblings do right? I wouldn't know.
 
"No!" Jungkook shouts. "We're not even dating."
 
"Well..." I start off, they both look over at me. It's cute seeing him be teased.
 
"Well?" His sister says.
 
"Yesterday he did." I say.
 
"No I didn't!" He shouts, putting the cereal bowl down onto the coffee table.
 
"Yeah. When you left me, you came back and kissed my cheek. I was even surprised." I said. He freezes where he's at and his sister starts punching his arm saying "How cute! How cute!"
 
"How long have you known each other?" JungSoon asks.
 
"I've known her for 2 1/2 months." Jungkook answers.
 
"I've known him for 2 1/2 years." I say. She looks at me weird. "Jungkook is quite known throughout the school. He has a tough guy reputation. I didn't like him the first day of school this year."
 
She raises an eyebrow and looks at Jungkook.
 
"Tough guy reputation?" She asks him.
 
"Remember TaeHyung and Jimin hyung?" He says, smiling innocently. She rolls her eyes and goes "Tch."
 
I get a text message. I read it and it's from my dad.
 
Dad: "Get your home now!!"
 
I breathe out and then put my phone away.
 
"Sorry but, I have to go home now." I say.
 
"But you just got here." Jungkook says. I slightly smile.
 
"No. My dad's angry so you know." I say, hoping he knows what I'm implying. I assume he did because he sighs and nods. I open the door as soon as Jungkook got a phone call.
 
"Hyung?" He says. "Yeah? What? No. I told you I don't!"
 
"Well, bye guys!" I shout. JungSoon smiles and waves, coming up to the door to close it when I leave. Jungkook just quickly waves. I walk out and go home.
 
***
 
"Where were you young lady?" My dad shouts.
 
"Out. With a friend." I say.
 
"Really? A friend. This is the first time I ever hear you say that." My dad says. "Is it a girl or a boy?"
 
"Boy." I answer honestly.
 
"Ha. Friend." My dad says.
 
"Never go out without telling your mom and/or I first. Especially if you're going to go out with some boy. Who is he? Let me meet him!" My dad shouts. I groan and walk away from him. He keeps shouting at me but I slam the door. He goes silent.
 
Sometimes I love my father more than my mother. Sometimes it's the other way around. Sometimes I love them both. Sometimes I don't love them at all.
 
I reach under my bed for my lighter, but then I remembered. Jungkook threw it away. I have nothing to burn myself with, unless I go downstairs and grab those huge ones you use to put fire on a candle. But that'd be too risky. My dad could see me and they'll realize it's gone quickly.
 
I put my hand around my arm, where i usually burn myself. I start squeezing it. It doesn't hurt at all, but when I squeeze it, it's like I'm screaming but in silence. My breathing gets heavier ask I squeeze on my arm more. Than I start digging my nails into my skin. Again, it doesn't really hurt. I try scratching myself but it's not as hurtful as the burning. I grab my pillow and push it against my face, over my mouth. I scream. Loud. I keep screaming until everything inside of me is gone, and my chest feels lightened.
 
My parents are fighting again. I don't know about what, but I hear a vase breaking and my mom screaming. I scream more into my pillow, this time with tears coming out. I end up crying into my pillow, and falling into a deep sleep after.
 
***
 
Jungkook's not at school, well he's not in class. I'm alone in art class. Everyone looks at me when class starts, and then go on about their business with their project. Maybe he skipped school to be with his sister? I don't know. He's sick? Maybe.
 
Class finally ends 55 boring minutes later, and I grab my stuff and head out the class. I see Jungkook walking in the quad with TaeHyung and Jimin. I go up to him.
 
"Hey, why weren't you in art?" I ask him. He turns around and looks at me, a bit caught off guard. TaeHyung and Jimin look at me as well, and then grin looking at Jungkook.
 
"What?" Jungkook says.
 
"He was with us." Jimin says. I glare at him and scoff.
 
"Hey, you should be nice to your elders." TaeHyung says. I laugh.
 
"Nice, to you guys? I'll be nice and respectful to you guys when you start doing the same to everyone else." I say to them, they just chuckle.
 
"Jungkook." I say, looking at him.
 
"Why do you care?" He says, his voice cold.
 
"I was just wondering. You never missed a day." I say.
 
"Well, I missed today so there. Happy?" He says. Why is he being so rude?
 
"Well, uhm, I was wondering if you wanted to quickly go to-"
 
"No." Jungkook answers, cutting me off. I stand there, caught off guard by him.
 
"What?" I say.
 
"We're not friends JiYoon. Just a few times we hung out doesn't make us friends, nor does us being partners and talking make us friends." He says. I raise an eyebrow and just stare at him.
 
"Really?" I say. "Are you serious? You get angry when I tell you that we weren't friends but now you're saying we're officially not?"
 
He looks at me.
 
"I'm sorry if I lead you on like that. But we're not friends, nor will we ever be good friends." He says. I bite my bottom lip, feeling tears starting to form in my eyes.
 
"Jungkook, what happened to you?" I say a bit too quiet. But he heard me.
 
"Nothing. This is who I am. I've never changed." He says.
 
I felt a tear starting to escape my eye, so I quickly turned around and walked away.
 
"Screw you Jungkook." I say to myself, stopping at a tree far away from the school. "I thought you actually changed."