Chapter 23

Without You

"Okay, you need to get a job." my dad tells me, as we're shopping at the mall. I start laughing because he's giving me $70 to buy his christmas gift.

"Okay. Okay. Maybe next year." I tell him and he chuckles. "Well, I'll call you when I'm done."

I walk away from my dad and go into random stores, just to find what he might like. I don't really know him much. For the past few years, he's been fighting with my mother. I hardly had any alone time with my parents. Sad. I hardly even know my parents now.

I decided to just find my dad a sweater. I walk into this mens store and I'm surprised to see mostly women in here. Maybe they're finding stuff for their boyfriend or husband.

Speaking of boyfriend, I should get Jungkook something too for Christmas. But, I don't know what he likes so that's hard.

I find the sweater area and start searching through the medium sizes. My dad's not big, but for some reason he wishes to be.

I feel two hands slide across my cheek and cover my eyes. I freeze.

"Who's this?" I ask. I hear nothing. I lift up my hands and feel the ones on my face. It can't be Jungkook's hand. I don't really know how his hands feel like, but I'm assuming it's not. I keep feeling them.

"You like the way my hands feel?" I hear right near my ear. I removed the hands quickly and turn to see who it is. It's Jimin, and he's laughing. I groan and start to walk away.

"What do you want?" I say, looking back through the sweaters.

"I just wanted to say that I haven't beaten up anyone for the past few days."

I stopped and looked at him.

"Jimin, it's the holidays. We're not in school, of course you haven't." I say, and go back searching. I hear him scoff.

"Are you looking for a present for Jungkook?" he asks, following me.

"No. For my dad."

"Get this one." he says, lifting up a not-bad sweater. I take it and just walk away.

"Hey! No thank you?" he shouts, catching up to me.

"Thanks."

He scoffs.

"Don't you have a girlfriend to buy for?" I ask him. He starts to chuckle, and I think I know what he's implying.

"Broke up?" I added and looked at him. He nods and I sigh and face back forward.

I wait in line for about 3 minutes, with Jimin. After I paid for the sweater, I quickly leave the store and call my father. Jimin still follows. I gave up trying to escape from him and just stop walking, waiting for my dad to pick up.

"Dad? I'm done." I say.

"Okay, meet me in the front then." he says, and I hang up. I turn around to tell Jimin go away, I mean goodbye, but he was already gone. I look around and then shrugged. I walk off to the front.

***

"Dad." I say, as soon as we got home.

"Hm?"

"Remember when I said that I didn't have a boyfriend anymore?" I ask. He looks at me, wondering where this is going. "Well, I do now...again."

"Same guy?" he asks. I shake my head.

"Tomorrow he wants me to go with him to the airport to pick up his sister." I tell him. He looks at me and just keeps looking for a while.

"Is he a good guy?" he asks. I shrugged. "What do you mean you don't know?"

"I mean, he's the bad guy goes good type of guy. He's good now!" I shout accidentally. My dad sighs.

"Just be careful okay? Tomorrow and with him in general. If he's a 'bad guy goes good' type of deal, then just be aware that he might do what he used to do before he turned 'good'. Okay? And if he really is the 'bad guy goes good' deal, if he does something bad, it's probably a huge mistake for him. Just be careful?" he tells me. I look at him for a few seconds before I nod slowly. He forces a smile and goes to hug me.

"What time tomorrow?" he asks.

"10am."

"Okay. Just so I know when you'll disappear from the house." he laughs.

***

"Bye Dad!" I shout as I go to open the door to leave towards Jungkook's house. My dad comes after me to close and lock it as soon as I leave.

When I opened the door, I see Jungkook standing outside waiting. My dad sees him too.

"Is that him?" he asks me. I nod my head and force a smile towards Jungkook. I gesture him to come over with my hands, and he does.

"Dad. This is Jungkook." I introduce. Jungkook bows down and offers his hand to shake. My dad takes it.

"Hi Jungkook. JiYoon tells me you're her boyfriend?" he asks. My eyes widen and I go over to the wall and just lean my whole face against it. Jungkook chuckles.

"Yes. I am." he replies.

"Well, keep her safe." my dad says. "If anything happens to her...I don't need to say it. You should know what father's can do."

I look at them and see Jungkook nod. I roll my eyes and quickly grab his hand.

"Okay, bye Dad! We're going now!" I say, dragging Jungkook away from my house.

"Bye sweetie!" he shouts, and closes the door. I sigh in relief.

"I thought you'd be waiting at your house." I tell him. He chuckles.

"I thought it'd be nice to pick you up." he says. I roll my eyes.

"Are we going to your house or to the station?" I ask.

"Station. My parents already left. I told them I was picking you up so they'll be waiting for us there." he says.

***

We waited at Seoul Station for almost half an hour. It was 11:30am and JungSoon should have already landed. We all wait almost an hour longer for her to get to the Seoul Station.

Jungkook hugged me from behind the whole wait, and I avoided my eyes with his parents. It was already awkward, the atmosphere between me and them, so I feel like it'd be more awkward if I look at them as Jungkook's back-hugging me.

12:35pm, and JungSoon finally walks out. The parents walk up to her first, and Jungkook lets go of me and holds my hand, walking towards her.

JungSoon hugs her parents and tells them how much she misses them. Then, she looks at Jungkook and says that she has something for him. Then, her eyes caught our hands holding each other's. Her eyes didn't widen, but she did start smiling. She looked at both of us.

"I knew it." she said. "I knew you two were going to end up together. I just knew it."

Both Jungkook and I chuckled awkwardly.

"Hi eonni." I say, she smiles and comes to give me a hug.

"So, my parents approved?" she asks both of us as we pull away from our hug.

"Well..." Jungkook says. JungSoon raises an eyebrow.

"Well what?"

"Dad walked in on us." he says. "I was kissing her nothing else."

JungSoon starts laughing and she pats his arm.

"You know that's going to make it harder for Mom and Dad to trust you two together, right?" she tells him. Jungkook rolls his eyes and nod.

***

We dropped JungSoon's stuff off at their house, and all three of us went out. She took us to Gyeongbokgung palace.

"You know eonni, Jungkook took me here because of you." I tell her. She gets our tickets and looks at me, handing me mine.

"Because of me?" she asks, looking at Jungkook.

"Kind of? We came here and he kept talking about you." I said. She looks at Jungkook and started squeezing his cheeks.

"Ah. Noona!" he shouts. We both chuckled.

JungSoon hugged both of us and exhaled happily.

"To be honest, the whole time I was in California, I kept saying to myself 'I hope they get together'." she says. "I don't know. I really like you JiYoon, and I like what you made my brother become."

"Become what?" Jungkook asks. We both look at him.

"Shy." she says. I chuckled a little and Jungkook rolls his eyes.

We walk into the palace and just started walking around. JungSoon was in between Jungkook and I, but I think she noticed that herself. She started walking faster, getting away from the middle. And then she turns around and smiles when she looks at us telling us that we're walking too slow. Jungkook and I ended up standing next to each other.

We followed his sister around the whole time. Jungkook would be glad every time his sister stopped to take a photo, because his feet would take a break from walking. I was perfectly fine. JungSoon looks over at us and smiles. She lifts her camera to her face.

"Smile!" she shouts. Both Jungkook and I looked at each other. I'm not really good when it comes to taking photos. I've never really took one.

JungSoon removes the camera from her face and shakes her head, chuckling.

"Really guys?" she says. Jungkook immediately puts his arm around my shoulder. JungSoon then looked at me, waiting for me to do something. I hugged him from the side, and a big smile was placed on her face. She counted down to 1 and took a photo. She looks at it and smiles, then continues walking. We followed her.

"I was going to get you something for Christmas." I tell Jungkook. He looks at me as we walked. "But I didn't really know what you liked so I didn't."

He chuckles and slides his hand into mine, intertwining our fingers together.

"You don't have to anyways." he says, smiling at me. I smiled back and nodded.

"I bumped into Jimin while I was Christmas shopping." I say. He raises an eyebrow.

"What happened?" he asks.

"He's still trying to make me label him as my friend." I say. Jungkook starts laughing.

"I think hyung likes you too. Not the way I do, but wants to hang out with you." he says. I smiled a little. It's kind of crazy knowing that the bad boys of the school, willingly want to be your friend or be with you because they actually like you. Not to fool around or mess with you.

"Does TaeHyung like me?" I ask. Jungkook shrugs.

"He should. If Jimin hyung does, he should." he says. I chuckle and we continue walking.

"Oh! I forgot!" JungSoon shouts. She turns around and faces us. "I have something for you as well JiYoon."

I raise an eyebrow.

"You do?"

"Yeah! I thought of you when I saw it in California. It's at home so later tonight I'll give it to you." she says. I nod my head.

***

We ate after the palace and stayed in the restaurant for a long time. It was fun being with them three. JungSoon mentioned how she was third-wheeling the whole time but she didn't care. Because we had 'plenty of times' to be together when she was gone.

We arrived at their house and she quickly goes inside to get my gift. Jungkook waits outside with me. He throws his arms around my waist and I look up at him.

"Used to this yet?" he asks. I chuckle and shake my head.

"Nope."

He smirks and leans down and gives me a short kiss. He pulls away and we both smile at each other.

"You two were just dying for me to leave you guys alone, huh?" JungSoon says. We both jumped and she starts laughing. She walks to me and hands me a wrapped gift.

"Merry Christmas." she says. I smile and bow down, taking the gift.

"Merry Christmas." I say back. I look at Jungkook and he pecks my lips. I chuckle.

"Merry Christmas." he says. I smile and start walking away.

"Yah!" he shouts. I start to laugh. "I'm telling you noona, she's a tease."

I hear JungSoon laugh. I turn around and run back, giving Jungkook a hug.

"Merry Christmas." I said.