Chapter 16

Without You

"Uhm. That's my partner, JiYoon." Jungkook tells his parents.

"My art partner!" he corrects himself. His parents just look at us. "What are you guys doing home early?"

"We always get one day early release Jungkook." his parents say. They completely close the door and walk more into the living room. I start packing my things and I stand up.

"I'll be leaving now." I say, throwing my backpack over my shoulder.

"Are you sure?" Jungkook asks me. I nod and walk my way towards the door. Before I could open it, his father insisted that I stayed for dinner. I sighed to myself and accepted.

Dinner was quite awkward. His father asked if I had a job and how my grades were in school. Then he asked Jungkook how we met and how I'm like, right in front of me. I sighed to myself and stand up from the dining table.

"Mr. Jeon, I'm not dating Jungkook if that's what you guys think is going on. We're just friends. More like partners in an art project." I tell them. His father nods at me and I ask if I can be excused to go home. He said sure and Jungkook walked me out of his house.

"Your parents are, nice." I tell him, as I step outside his house.

"Yeah, they're a bit overprotective you know? If you didn't know, I have pretty good grades in school." he tells me. I raise an eyebrow and laugh a little.

"What? It's true. If I didn't they'd be on my the whole time." he adds. I chuckle and nod.

"Well, see you at school." I say. He smiles and nods, and I leave his place.

***

Even though now I have Jungkook's number, I never use it. We talk pretty much everyday and almost everyday I go over to his place to work on the project. YeJun hasn't bothered me ever since, but I do catch him taking glances over at me, or us.

Two days ago, Jungkook and I finished our project. It's painted onto a canvas already and finished. I'm proud of the city. It came out pretty nice.

"Hey. JiYoon!" Jungkook shouts, catching up to me heading out the school gates. I turn around and see him panting.

"Wait." he says, holding up a finger and catching his breath. What the? That wasn't much of a run from the art room.

"Ok. Let's go out today. I'm going to be bored at home." he says, standing up straight.

"Yeah, sure. Where?" I ask him. He catches his breath and puts on a really huge smile.

"The tower." he says. I stand there confused for a second until I realized what he meant.

"Wait, the Namsan tower? I ask. He nods.

"Yup. I've never been there. So why not?" he says. I chuckle and nod. I've never been there either. Wow, we both for a bunch of Koreans who has lived here our whole lives. But then his parents are always busy and my parents never really got along. What's funny is that my dad still thinks I have a boyfriend. I never told him what happened, he'd probably just mock me for him being right about guys my age.

"Well, lets go right now. Unless you wanna see that." Jungkook says, pointing behind me. I turn around to see Jimin making out with some girl against the wall. I cringe a little and I hear Jungkook laugh. He grabs my arm and starts pushing me out the school.

***

Namsan tower is a very pretty place. We were too lazy to walk up the hill so we just took a bus up there. We could've taken the cable car but we were already near the buses. Maybe we'll take it back down, since it'll be night time by then and it'll be really pretty.

"I'm so tired." Jungkook says. The walk up the mountain was actually pretty tiring. The bus drops us off right at the kind-of-steep part.

"Watch me loose 20 pounds by the end up this." I say. Jungkook starts to laugh. He looks over at me and then walks in front of me, and stops walking.

"Hey! What are you doing?" I shout. He bends down.

"Get on my back." he says.

"What?"

"Just get on my back."

I look around and then I look at him. I get on his back and when he stands up, that's when I actually realize how tall he is. I throw my arms around his neck and rest my head on his shoulders.

"Okay, you go and I nap." I tell him. He doesn't say anything and just starts walking up the hill.

By the time we reached the top, he put my back down. I looked around the place and it was pretty full. A lot of people came up here today.

Jungkook grabs my wrist and drags me up the stairs on the far end, where all the locks and the gift stores are at. He lets go of it and walks into the shop. I follow him.

He just goes through stuff on the shelves and finally he finds the place where the locks are sitting. He looks at them and I go through it too, seeing which lock is pretty to buy. I picked this blue one that had a white heart in the middle, and I go in line to buy it.

As I'm in line, I look at Jungkook who picks one that has two included, like a set. He stands in line behind me.

"You're getting two?" I asked him. He looks at me and nods, then he smiles and looks up in front of us.

We both buy our locks and they give us a marker. We head over to where they lock the locks, and sit on this bench so we could write down what we want to on the lock.

Usually people come here to lock love locks, or foreigners come here just to lock a lock. But my lock is for my mom, and slightly my dad. I just put that I love my mom and I miss her, and hope I can see her more often. And at the end a thank you for my dad, with my name signed on the bottom.

I look over at Jungkook who's still writing on his lock. It seemed like a pretty long letter. I try to read what he's writing and I catch his sister's name in there. I kind of smile to myself and wait for him to finish.

"Okay. Done." he says. "One more lock to go."

I groan and he chuckles and takes out the other lock.

"Quit whining pabo." he says. "This is for both of us. It'll be quick."

I watch him as he starts to write on the lock. When I try to take a peek, he turns his body around. I just scoff.

When he finally finishes, he hands me the lock.

"To my art partner. You're stupid." he wrote, with his name signed. I glared at him and he started laughing. I opened my marker and wrote on it myself.

"I'm better at art so it's okay." I wrote, and signed my name. I hand it back to him.

"You know, people use locks wisely. Like for their family or their girlfriend or boyfriend. Why you wasting a good lock?" I say to him. He looks at me.

"Okay. Fine." he says. He adds something to the lock, and then shoves it in my face.

"There. Now it's not a waste."

I take the lock and see that he added a heart and a date, the first day of school. I look at him and he's smiling.

"Now it's a couple lock." he says. "If you don't like it that's your fault for speaking."

He chuckles and walks away from the fence full of locks.

"Where are you going?" I shout at him.

"I want to lock mine on the lock tree." he shouts back. I stand up and go after him. He goes over to a tree and looks for a place to lock his lock. I look for one as well. I didn't even know there was a tree full of locks up here. It looks really pretty, kind of like a christmas tree. I lock mine and he locks his.

He grabs my wrist and drags me to the fence full of locks, the place where it has a wonderful view of Seoul, if it were dark right now. He stops at a place where no one is crowding and holds up the other lock. "Our" lock. He pushes me towards the fence and hands me the lock. He puts his arm around me from behind, and holds the back of my hands, like if he were to control their movements. I freeze.

"What are you doing?" I ask him. I hear him chuckle.

"Since this turned into a couple lock because of you speaking to me, we're going to lock this like a couple." he says. As much as I thought he was weird for this, I wasn't complaining. I mean, I do have a slight crush on him.

He rests his chin on top of my head and controls my hands. He opens the lock more and locks it near this cellphone case. He closes it. I thought he'd stop hugging me from behind right there, but he continued. He started walking somewhere else. I didn't say anything right when I saw that he was pushing me towards the mail box thing, where you throw away your key.

He stopped right in front of it, but then pushed me away from it, to the other side, the other fence full of locks. He reaches his hand into his pocket and grabs the lock's key. Even his key from his other lock. He places it in my hand, and I go and take out my key as well. I'm not holding all three of them.

"Throw them." he says.

"What?"

"Throw them. It's okay, I saw other people do it and I thought it'd be more fun to get rid of our keys like this." he says. I nod and look at the three keys. I throw my arm back a little, so I can throw the keys far but I ended up elbowing Jungkook in the face.

I turn to face him and he's holding his nose. I start cracking up. He glares at me and then flicks my forehead. I just continue laughing.

"Ha. Ha. Ha." he says. He rubs his nose and then turns me back around, putting his arm back around me.

"We're still a couple until you throw away the key." he says. I scoff and turn to face him.

"Which one's our key?" I ask, holding all three up.

"Why?" he asks.

"Because I want to throw that one away first." I say. He glares at me and I laugh a little.

"Why is it a couple lock? Can't it be a friendship lock?" I ask him. He shakes his head.

"Nope. It has the date we first met and a heart on it, so it's a couple lock." he says. I stick my tongue at him and he flicks my forehead.

"Ow!" I say, rubbing it.

"Aww, does it hurt? Here let me fix it." he says. He pecks my forehead. I glare at him and he's laughing.

"We're a couple until you throw all three keys away." he says, flicking my more and kissing it to make it "feel better" more.

Before I could turn around to throw all three keys away, he flicks my lips and he pecks it. I freeze and look at him. He's frozen as well. Both of us didn't move for a while. I mean, we made out so I guess something like this shouldn't shock us but, he did this without reason. YeJun wasn't around, so it shocked me.

And then, Jungkook leans down closer to me and kisses me. I had my hand up holding the keys. I was ready to turn around and throw them, but my hand slowly dropped down towards the ground, and I kissed him back. He had both of his arms around me, and mine slowly went up to go around his neck.

He pulls back and looks down at me. I look up at him. My heart was beating fast and I didn't know what to do. I couldn't believe what just happened. He leans back closer to my face, but then stops. The sides of our noses were touching each other, but he doesn't lean in more. I wanted to lean up but I didn't. Instead I turned my head and he removed his arms from me. I slowly walked towards the fence and threw all three keys. I didn't turn around to look at him. I just stared out at Seoul, taking in what just happened.