Chapter 1

Without You
"So class. This is the first day of school and I know you guys don't like homework, or even work, on the first day. But this is art class. Art should be fun and exciting. It shouldn't be a thing to groan about. You guys should be glad you have this class for your last period. When you guys are all stressed out or even tired, all you have to do is draw. Or even paint and sculpt. Whatever you prefer to do. But first things first, in this class, you will be assigned a partner for both terms. I will assign your partners." Says my art teacher, Mr. Song.
 
He walks over to his desk and sits down, looking over at his computer.
 
"I'll take roll first." He says. He starts calling out names. And then, he reaches mine.
 
"Yoo JiYoon?" He calls out.
 
"Present." I say. He continues calling out the names.
 
"Jeon Jungkook?" I hear him say.
 
"Here." I hear Jungkook say. After his name was being called, you could hear whispers and conversations starting from people who weren't freshman's.
 
Jeon Jungkook is your typical bad boy. Every lady in this school, well not every lady, but most of them adore him. They love the bad boy vibe from him. They find it attractive to him. He also has his group of friends, of just two excluding him.
 
Their names are Park Jimin and Kim TaeHyung. It's funny. His friends are all in their last year here, Jungkook's last year is next school year. We're the same grade, him and I.
 
Jimin, TaeHyung, and Jungkook go around picking fights with whoever seemed weak. They'd mess up their uniforms, even punch them if they felt like doing so. No guy wants to mess with them. Some try to pick on Jungkook since he's the youngest in his group of friends, but TaeHyung and Jimin are always there to back him up. I don't know why they do this but one thing's for sure, they're annoying as hell.
 
"Alright. The computer randomly generated two pairs so the choosing of partners was not by me. If you don't like who you get, blame the computer. The only way you'll be able to switch your partner is if they drop this class, get expelled, or you have a reasonable personal problem with them." Mr. Song says, squinting his eyes at the computer screen.
 
He calls out the names of who was being partnered up with who. I know nobody in this class, so I don't care who I get paired up with really. First day of school, what a day to make friends. If I wasn't such an anti-social mess.
 
"And finally, Jeon Jungkook and Yoo JiYoon. You two are partnered up!" My eyes grew wide and I look over at Jungkook. He doesn't even care who he got paired up with. Mr. Song stands up from his desk and goes over to the chalk board.
 
"As you can see, the desks are arranged to hold four people. So, that's two partners per desk. I'd like for you guys to right now go sit next to your partner and introduce yourself." He says. He turns around and starts to write something on the chalk board.
 
I look over at Jungkook and he doesn't get up. I groan and I get up myself, sitting down beside him. I look at him and say nothing. I wanted to try and say hi but just normally I don't like talking to people. I look up to see the partners in front of me. They looked at Jungkook and then looked at me. They both raised their eyebrows in a good luck my friend type of expression. Now I know that they aren't freshman's.
 
"Today you and your partner will be given a piece of paper by me, and that piece of paper will hold 4 things written on it. Those will be your projects. Two for this for term and two for the last term." On the board he has written, "a class where you can express who you are." He grabs a box and goes to each partner group. We all pick a paper from the box.
 
When I picked the paper for Jungkook and I, I read the items first.
 
1. Flower
2. Pencil
3. City
4. Clear Cup Glass
 
I handed it to Jungkook and he just took it from my hand.
 
"You can choose any two for the first term by the ways. You don't have to do it in order." Mr. Song says. "Your project will be to paint, sculpt, carve, or draw your items. But not just draw them. This is art class, not kindergarden. You will have to show emotion through your art. Show me a story, make me get to know you through you and your partner's art work. You may start now. Your first item is due October 15. Oh, and you can add extra things to your artwork, not just the item you got. But, make the story or emotion come mainly from the object. You have about two months and a half. Get to work!"
 
Mr. Song sits on his desk and takes out a huge sketch book. He grabs his paint colors, and starts splashing colors everywhere onto the pages. I look over at Jungkook who's still looking at the piece of paper.
 
"So, which one should we do first?" I say faintly.
 
"You know who I am, don't you?" He says, putting the piece of paper down, looking at me.
 
"What?"
 
"You sounded nervous, not shy. I know the difference." He tells me. I look away from him and roll my eyes.
 
"Just, which one do you want to work on first?" I ask him again. He pushes the piece of paper in front of me on the desk. I look over at him and he slouches on the chair.
 
"Which ever you want. I don't care. I at art anyways." He says, putting his hands behind his head and closing his eyes.
 
"Why not just drop out then?" I ask him.
 
"I want an easy A. Are you good at art? Because if you are, then there's my easy A." He says. I scoff to myself and look at the piece of paper. I see I'll be doing all the work then.
 
I see everyone grabbing clay or wood, and even paint brushes and paint cans. I get up and grab a blank piece of white printer paper, and a pencil. I'm more of a drawing type person. I find it easier to express yourself through a drawing with pencils and crayons. But, that's just me.
 
Jungkook hasn't even moved an inch. He stays napping in his chair. As soon as I sat back down at my seat, I start drawing the first item I chose to do. The clear glass.
 
***
 
After almost the whole class period of drawing, I am slightly finished. It's a rough sketch. To draw perfectly, it'll usually take me a few hours, especially if it's going to be detailed and colored in.
 
Jungkook sits up on his seat and takes my drawing away from me, as if on cue as soon as I finished drawing. He scoffs and puts the paper down on his desk.
 
"You do know who I am." He says. His eyes scanning my drawing. "Very funny."
 
The drawing was a simple clear glass but with water added into it. I sketched out a guy's face behind the clear glass and it made a refraction image, since the water in the glass makes his face look deformed. But, besides the normal deformation, his face looks messed up and broken. It's almost too scary too even look at. I was proud of it.
 
"You are afraid of me." He says, laughing to himself. I don't say anything. I've been surviving in this school for two years already, being the quiet girl in the classrooms. I'm not going to ruin it now, especially not with him.
 
"Let me see this." Mr. Song says, taking the paper away from Jungkook. I gulped. Mr. Song's eyes widened a little and he looks at us two.
 
"Who drew this?" He asks. I rose my hand barely. He puts the paper back down in front of me.
 
"That is one powerful drawing. It sends me a type of fear and/or hate vibe. Good job." He tells me, patting my shoulder. He looks over at Jungkook.
 
"You have a good partner." He tells him, and then walks away.
 
"There's my grade A." Jungkook says, smirking. I roll my eyes and then the bell rings.
 
I fold the drawing and shove it into my bag. I quickly get up and walk out the classroom, straight to the school gates.
 
On my way to the gates, a guy in front of me gets pushed and he falls on top of me, both of us going down to the ground. I hear everyone around us gasp, people start to crowd.
 
I look up to see who it was and it's none other than the school's other bad boy, Park Jimin. He didn't bother looking down to see who he fell on. He pushed himself off of me and charged towards this guy. I stood up and watched the fight from behind.
 
"What was that? Huh, punk?" Jimin says, throwing a punch at the guy. Someone pushes my shoulders from behind. I see the figure passing by in front of me and it was Jungkook.
 
He grabs the guy's shoulder and throws him against the wall, punching him in the stomach causing him to curl up in a ball from the pain.
 
"Really hyung? On the first day of school?" Jungkook says, going up to Jimin. I roll my eyes at them and try to get through them.
 
The guy picks himself back up and punches Jungkook from behind, causing him to slightly fall forward, but he catches himself. His hand goes into a fist and he turns around to punch the guy back, but he ends up giving me a slight uppercut. I had to choose to walk by them during this time. People gasped, and I covered my mouth.
 
Jungkook turns around and looks at me. My eyes were tearing up from the pain and I believe my lip is bleeding from me biting down on it. He scoffs and starts laughing to himself.
 
"I bet you look like your drawing now." He says to me. "Oh, no no. Don't worry. It's art."
 
I glare at him and stomp off. This was an amazing first day of school. I'm so happy.
 
***
 
I sit at home in my room, covering my ears and sitting in the corner of my room. I played my music up very loud, but that doesn't fade out the yelling coming from my parents next door in their room.
 
"You're unbelievable! How are we suppose to live like this?" I hear my mother yell. I press my hands against my ears more, but that doesn't help at all. I can still hear them arguing.
 
I reach under my bed and grab the lighter that I hide. I roll up my sleeves and turn the lighter up. I look at the burn marks on my arm, the ones that slowly started to fade away. I hold the lighter over them and I bite my bottom lip from the pain.
 
I drop the lighter when I heard the door shut from my parents room. I quickly stood up and stepped on the fire.
 
"I'm going to a motel." I hear my dad shout. I grab the lighter and put it back under my bed, far towards the wall. I haven't burned myself for months, but ever since my parents started fighting again, I can't help it.
 
I quickly change into my pajamas and grab my backpack, getting out the drawing I created in art class. I unfold it and look at it for a while. Jungkook thinks this drawing was about him, I mean it could be. I drew this with my father in mind. Next is my mother. They don't check up with me for school anyways, they won't know what I'm drawing. They don't even talk to me. They're too busy with their jobs anyways.
 
Ugh, now I have Jungkook to make my life more miserable. Life really loves me.