Chapter 8

Peach

How did he even get my boss to agree? 


You looked at your table before you. And when I finally got used to the working environment here. What if the people there hates me? I'm pretty sure that there's going to be talk among them since I'm transferring over 'cos of that stupid harabeoji and who knows what he was thinki-

'Kim Hyewon.' 

'Yeah?' You mumbled, not bothering to turn to look at your best friend as you started to pack your belongings. 

'You're getting fired?' 

'Yeah.' 

'Is it 'cos of faking your wedding invitation?' 

'Yea- What?' You snapped your head around and saw the all too familiar pastel blue envelope before you. 

'Great skills. Looks totally real.' 

Without even trying to understand what she's getting at, you went back to what you were doing. 'You're going, right?'  

'Dude. You never told me that you're dating and now marriage? Within, two weeks?!' 

'I'm pretty sure you personally talked to my fiancé over the phone the other day.' 

'And- The groom isn't even Jinyoung oppa?' Just how many times am I supposed to get that, and how many times do I have to tell them that it's not what they think it is between us?

'Didn't I already explain it to you?' 

'I thought you came up with all that to annoy me.'

'I know I'm smart and all, but I'm not THAT smart.' 

'So it's really not that Jinyoung oppa?’ You sighed as you turned from the cardboard box to look at her. 

‘Ri ah, the card which you’re holding onto already stated Im Jaebum and not Park Jinyoung. And there’s the picture. AND there’s nothing between me and Jinyoung oppa for me to marry him.’

‘Okay calm down. So, why are you getting fired?’

‘He says that his father would like me to work there. Since we’re getting married and all.’

‘His father? Like, the chairman?’ 

‘Umm. Yeah.’

‘Oh my god.’

‘What.’

‘Can you like, pull some strings and get me there too?’ Now where is this going?

‘You must be kidding me.’ You shook your head as you eyed her. 

‘You never know unless you try?’ Nari laughed jokingly as she patted your shoulder and went back to her seat. But I’m pretty sure Jinyoung oppa likes her though? Does she really not know? 



 


Everyone fell silent after what he said the other day, while he just looked at them as though nothing happened. 

And as usual, before anything else could happen, Mark interrupted and sent the both of you home, claiming that ‘it was getting late’.

Afterwards, Jaebum said that his father has been thinking of asking you to work there since quite some time ago, but you had your doubts. If it was true, he could have told me somewhere else right? Not all of a sudden when everyone else was there. And you thought back to what Youngjae told you. Nah, it can’t be. 

 


 

 

You looked at the unknown number as your phone continued to ring. Do I answer? Or do I not? What if it's some advertising call? ... But what if it's an emergency?

Just when you were about to answer, it stopped ringing. Oh well, now that ain't my fault since I was going to pick it- And it started to ring again. 

'Hello?' 

'Noona! You're free right? Do you mind checking on hyung?' Noona? Me? Who-

'Yugyeomie?' 

'Mm! I'll message you Jaebum hyung's address okay! You have to hurry over, don't let hyung go to work in that state!' 

'Huh- What-' 

'I've got to go! Thanks in advance noona!' And the line went dead. What was that? 

Hyung? As in Jaebum oppa? Go to work in what state? Is he sick? 

You looked back at your phone as it vibrated in your hands. Below the address, there was a 6 digit number, and a small message. 

Noona, don't call Jaebum hyung! He'll leave home if he knows that you're going. Please take good care of him! Thank you! 
- Yugyeomie

 

'Did it work?' Jackson asked as the youngest hung up. 

'I think so! She didn't say no!' 

'Sounds like you didn't give him a chance to say no though.' Bambam added. 

'But how do you know that hyung will be sick?' 

'I made him drink from the same cup as me yesterday.' Yugyeom laughed, but ended up coughing slightly. 'Anyways, I'm feeling much better already so it must have went to him instead.' 

'But what if he isn't sick?' 

'Then that's up to them!' The three of them burst into laughter as they high-fived one another, proud of what they did. 

 

 

He shook it off when he thought that he heard the door click open, Who would be here at such a timing? The kids? Can't be. 

And when the door to his room burst open, it took a moment for him to realize that he wasn’t imagining things, while he hurriedly continued with the remaining buttons of his dress shirt.

'W-What are you doing here?' As he cleared his throat, he ended up coughing slightly, all while staring at you.

You blinked as you quickly shifted your eyes to his face instead of where his hands were. And you immediately noticed how pale he looked as compared to usual. ‘You’re sick.’

‘No, I’m not.’ He mumbled as he grabbed onto his tie and jacket, and headed towards you. ‘What do you think you’re doing.’

It was easy to tell that Jaebum wasn’t pleased with what you were doing as you stretched out your hands in an attempt to block his path. ‘You’re sick.’

‘I am n-not sick-‘ He fell silent as your hand reached up to his forehead. How did she even know that I’m not feeling well? And the passcode? 

To tell the truth, if he had the choice, he would stay at home, seeing that the throbbing headache and burning throat was clouding his head up. But there was an executive meeting that he could not afford to miss that day. And with your presence, it simply made it harder for him to brush off how sick he felt.

He watched as your eyebrows furrowed, and felt your hand moved from his forehead to his neck. That darn meeting.

‘You’re really sick.’ Look, it’s the longest statement she has said since she appeared. Jaebum sighed as he pulled your hands off, and nudged past you.

‘I have to go to work.’ Don't stop me. Don't stop me. Don't- 

‘And I’m going to stop you.’ You stated, your hands firmly grabbing onto his arm. ‘You’re having a fever already oppa, it’ll get worse if-‘

The head-splitting headache, his commitments, and you going against his decision did not go well together. At all.

‘Who are you to tell me what’s more important?! Are you my girlfriend? Or my wife?’ He felt your grip on him loosen immediately as you looked blankly back at him.

He’s right. There’s nothing between us. … But why was I panicking so much on the way here after Yugyeom’s call? 

You could hear him breathing heavily as he glared at you, his arm shaking slightly. Or was it your hands that were shaking? ‘Can’t you get someone to take over your work just for today?’ You asked, your voice significantly softer this time. ‘You really have to rest or else-‘

‘Leave.’

‘Jaebum-‘

‘Who do you think you are to be the boss of me? You don’t have to be obliged to take up the role of my fiancée just because we’re engaged. It’s just on paper. We’re as good as strangers. So stop your acting and get the freak out of my house!’

You stilled as he broke into a coughing fit with his last outburst, his words repeating in your head like a spoilt tape. Has he really been thinking that way all these while? Strangers? Acting? So everything that he did was acting from start to end?

 

 

Only when he heard the door slam shut, that he realized what he just did. And the things he shouted at you. Great, you’ve finally lost your temper after trying so hard to keep it in control. And you just have to do it at Hyewon. Brilliant. … Damn you Im Jaebum. You totally did not just yelled at her in her face. When she did absolutely nothing wrong. This might as well be the worst day ever.

Groaning, he slumped down on the couch, unable to do anything with the headache hitting him hard. How did I even get this sick? Was it the rain yesterday? ... It can't possibly just came to me 'cos I was taking care of Yugyeomie yesterday right? I'm pretty sure that I didn't share anything with him? ... Damn. 

'Hyung, the water tastes weird.' The maknae mumbled as he pushed the cup back to Jaebum.

'It tastes weird hyung.'

'Hyung try it.'

'Oh, it doesn't taste weird to you?'

How was he supposed to know that it taste weird when his nose was blocked? ... Did he give her my passcode too? That kid... He better not be planning this from the start.  

 

 

Just when he was about to fall asleep, he heard the door opening again. ‘You idiot.’ The fever must be really bad now that I’m actually hearing things. And why must it be her voice that I’m hearing when I’m already guilty enough. ‘Harabeoji.’ Not again… 

Jaebum grumbled as he shifted on the couch, only to have the light shining straight on his face. ‘Wouldn’t it be more comfortable on the bed than sprawling out here?’

You were glad that he stayed at home in the end, but he looked much more worse than before. And whenever you saw his face, you had to shake off what he shouted at you merely half an hour ago.

‘Jaebum-sshi.’

He finally decided to open his eyes, and saw you looking back at him. Is she really here? Or am I dreaming? I thought she left?

‘You’re going to hurt your back if you continue to lie here like that.’ I’m not dreaming. It’s really her. Jaebum’s eyes widened as he felt you pulling him off the couch, and dragging him towards his room, not removing his eyes from you at all. How is she here, again?

‘Are you a kid hmm? Didn’t even take these off and you just laid on the couch?’ He remained silent as you removed his jacket and the tie which was drooping loosely around his neck. 

‘So where’s hurting, our Jaebumie?’ Usually, he would be extremely ticked off if anyone was to talk to him in such a tone, but he was simply too occupied with why you were there, even after what he shouted at you not too long ago. ‘Fever, and?’

You asked, as you started to get wary of how intense his stare was. Since the moment his eyes opened. ‘And?’ You heaved a sigh of relief when he responded by pointing to his throat. ‘Cough?’ He nodded. ‘Sore throat?’ Again. ‘Anything else?’ He nodded once more. ‘Where?’ 

You watched as his hand pointed to left side of his chest, but before he could speak more, you cut him off. ‘I’m so-' 

‘I’ll go get some medicine for you.’ 

He panicked when he saw you standing up from his bed, and he quickly held onto your hand, pulling you back. ‘I’m sorry. Don’t go.’

'I just have to take it from the table outside. I'll be quick.' He looked at you as you gently pried his hand off, and went out. Outside? On the table? But I checked this morning that I ran out of any medicine? 

He stared at the door as he counted the seconds you took, before you rushed back in with a few bottles and pills and placed it by his night stand, and ran out again. A jug of warm water, a cup, a small tub of ice water, and a towel.

Why is she doing this? 

You finally stopped moving in things as you settled in the chair next to his bed. 'Oppa should take the- Oh wait. Have you eaten breakfast yet?' 

He nodded his head. 'Oppa are you going to keep this uppp?' Why is she whining at me? What did I do! 'Did you have your breakfast yet?' He blinked, and finally shook his head.

'Then I'll go cook some porridge while you rest first. Then you can have your medicine afterwards.' You said as you turned away, but he grabbed onto your wrist again. 'Yes?'

'Can you pass me my phone?'

'For?'

'Help me call Mark hyung.' Oh.  

'Where is it?'

'In the jacket which you just stripped off me.' He grinned when he saw your face turning pink slightly at his choice of words, which he did on purpose, but you ignored him. 

'Hello? Mark oppa?' Didn't I tell her not to call them that? 'It's me, Hyewon.' ... 'Jaebum oppa is sick and can't go to work today.' 

'Oh, okay. Thanks for letting me know. Tell him that he don't have to worry about the meeting later, I'll go for it in his place, and to rest well.' Meeting? Maybe that was why he kept insisting on going? 

'Yes Mark oppa.'

'Take good care of him okay? Thanks.'

'Mm.' You placed his phone as you told him. 'He said that you don't have to worry about the meeting since he'll be going in your place.' 

'Why are you calling Mark hyung oppa?' Are we doing this again? You ignored him as you folded the iced towel neatly and placed it directly on his forehead, not giving him time to get adjusted to the temperature. And you grinned when you saw him cringe. 'Why?'

'He's older than me. Of course I call him oppa.'

'Don't call him oppa.'

'Jaebum oppa, I'll go make the porridge now okay?' Why isn't she answering me? Is she here to torture me? Along with this stupid towel that is freezing up my head?

 

 

You could feel that a second round was coming when he frowned as soon as he saw you. Am I taking care of a baby or a grandpa right now. I'm confused. 'I've cooked this a few times, I think it should be edible.' You mumbled as he sat up on the bed. 'Say 'ah'.' You blew lightly on the scoop of porridge before placing it before him. But he kept his mouth closed as he crossed his arms. Yepp. Still confused. 'Jaebum oppa? Jaebumie oppaaaa?' You pouted, hoping that it would work. I am not going to use the puppy eyes on him. Never. You silently cheered when you saw his ears reddening, and he opened his mouth. 

'I don't like you calling the others oppa.' He said as soon as he finished the first spoon of porridge. 

'The medicine will make you drowsy so you can take a nap after this. Ah~' Thankfully, the next few spoons were successfully eaten without much retaliation. 

'Don't call them oppa.' He added, quickly swallowing what was left in his mouth. 

'Are you still feverish?' You asked, as you placed your free hand on his forehead. 'It subsided a little I think.'

'Promise me that you won't call any of them oppa.' You sighed as you looked at him. Does he know how childish he's acting right now?

'Oppa there's still a few scoops left.' But he kept his mouth sealed as he waved his pinky before you. I can't believe that this person is going to be my husband. 

'Promise me.' 

'Okay.' You hooked your pinky around his, and he grinned. 'Now finish this and sleep.'

 

 

For the entire afternoon, all you did was change the towels and to check if his temperature went down. And things were significantly more efficient when he was asleep. 

And when that was done, you were back in the kitchen preparing for his dinner. And also mentally gearing up yourself for what ridiculous things he would come up with this time round. 

 

As the towel dropped onto the ground as he turned, he woke up, and started to look around the room but you were no longer there. He was just about to go out to check, when he heard the tap running from the kitchen, and heaved a sigh of relief. 

How many hours did I sleep? He rubbed his forehead slightly before reaching over to grab his phone from the table. Only to find that it was yours instead of his. But it was vibrating non stop as the screen lit up. Jinyoung oppa? Why is that person calling her now? Doesn't he have better things to do than to call her all day long? 

Just then, the vibrating stopped, and he was brought back to the lock screen. He actually did call her all day long.  

Jinyoung Oppa [10 Missed Calls]

     12:03 Are you at home? Why didn't you answer the call?

     13:00 I thought you don't have work today? And Nari told me that you should be at home?

     13:05 Did something happen? Why aren't you checking your phone?

     14:23 You better call me when you see this. 

What's with him. Sounds like a possesive boyfriend to me. Urghh. 

'Oppa, are you awake?' He heard you knocking on the door and quickly placed your phone back on the table, while he hid his face into the pillows. 'Eesh. Why is he sleeping like that.' 

Your voice got louder as you reached the side of his bed, picking up the towel from the ground. 'Oppa. Wake up. I'll bring dinner in.'

'Mm.' He mumbled, only lifting his head up when he heard you close the door again. He's not the boyfriend. I should be the boyfriend. 

 

During dinner time, fortunately for you, he was more cooperative. But that did not mean that his questioning would stop.

Doesn't his throat hurt when he talks? It should keep him quiet right?

'Don't you have work today?' Took him long enough to ask that. After one whole day.

'I finished packing yesterday. I'm starting on the day after.'

'What are you doing tomorrow?'

'I'll come back to check on you.' You said mindlessly as you scooped up another spoonful, while he just looked at you blankly. She's coming back? ... Then she might as well stay for the night. ... But she wouldn't. Why would she. 

 

You bent down by the side of his bed and looked at his face for awhile, before softly asking. 'Oppa, are you asleep?' You had your things ready, and was just about to let him know that you were leaving, since the dishes were also done. 

But you saw his face scrunching up as a response, with his eyes still sealed shut. 'Jaebum oppa? What's wrong?' You could feel yourself panicking again as you felt his forehead. . It rose slightly again. 'Oppa, do you feel really unwell. Hmm?' You asked, and he finally opened his eyes. 

'Hyewon-ah.' You saw his eyes drooping, and leaned closer to him. 

'Hmm? Do you need anything? Water?'

'Hyewon-ah.' He said again, his hand touching your cheek. 'I'm sorry.'

'For-?' You did not have the time to react as his face was merely centimetres away from yours. And all you remembered was the heat radiating from his body when he leaned in, and laid his lips on yours gently. And in the next moment, he was laying back down on the pillow, his eyes closed.

You blinked as you stared at him, your hand touching your lips. Did he just- Did he actually just-

You quickly tried to move away, but found his hand gripping to your other wrist instead. 'Don't go.'  

But what is he sorry for? The kiss? If he's sorry then why would he do that?

 

 

For shouting at you when it's not your fault. For troubling you for the entire day. For switching off your phone. ... And for maybe spreading my flu to you. 

 


[A/N] HI. Hahahaha. I said that I would update sooner but looks like it took even longer instead. But here's a longer chapter!

I kept changing it so it took quite some time, and then when I was editing it, my laptop crashed (and I didn't save it) (oops). But no worries cos here it is! Hope that you'll like it! 

Okay and to make up for the long wait, I'll try to update this by 12th Dec! (Well, I have to do it since I'm going on a holiday on the 12th. Yes I can do this.) 

As usual, thank you for the comments and subscribes! And hope that this chapter was up to your expectations!

<3