Chapter 5

Peach

 

‘The walls are pretty.’

‘What about me?’

‘How can you be pretty? You’re a guy oppa.’ She finally said it. Today.

‘No, but, what do you think about me?’ You looked at Jaebum, stunned for a moment, before smiling at him.

 

‘I think you’re getting too into the mood oppa.’ And due to the extremely close proximity which the both of you were in, you could feel Jaebum shift a little as he avoided your eyes.

Did you actually expect her to say something nice? Did you really expect her to compliment you or something? Wake up, Im Jaebum. ‘Yeah, it’s getting to my head a little.’

‘I’m going to fall if you shift suddenly.’ You grinned even more when you saw his ears turn red.

‘O-Oh, I’m really sorry.’ And his grip on your waist immediately tightened, which caused you to be pulled closer to him.

You stared at him, his face inches away from yours again, and you finally had a good look at him. ‘You’re mean but nice at the same time, and sometimes quite good looking.’ You softly said as you did not remove your eyes from him. Your lips were distracting him, and what you just said was toying with his hormones, until you added, anti-climatically. ‘Im Jaebum harabeoji.’  And you laughed at both his reaction, and what you just said.

‘You know you’re not actually really funny.’ You pouted at what he mumbled without any expression.

‘I hear that quite often. It’s sad.’

 

‘By the way, Hyewon-ah.’

‘Hmm?’

‘About just now, you said that it would be weird if we were to date and broke up but to get married afterwards right?’ You nodded, unsure of where the conversation was heading towards. ‘How are you sure that we would have broken up?’

You thought for a moment. That’s kind of true? ‘I don’t know. It just came out. Since on the other hand, there wouldn’t be much of a problem if we do date and don’t break up.’

That’s valid. I guess.

 

 

Fortunately for the both of you, you successfully finished the shoot by late afternoon, without any more accidents on either end, though it mostly applied to you only.

‘Where are we going?’ You asked as Jaebum checked his phone and he sighed, before turning to look at you. ‘Why?’

‘Do you want to meet the kids?’ The kids? You watched him scrutinizing his phone screen. Oh. Is he referring to the boys?

‘I don’t really mind.’

‘You sure? It’s not the club this time. Just a practice studio which we hang out at sometimes too. I also have to get them to apologize to you that night.’

‘Yeah. You don’t have to get them to- It was my fault actually.’

‘Give me any more of the ‘it’s your fault’ and we’re not going anywhere.’

‘I’m sorry.’

Jaebum finally started driving, as he was thinking hard about something else. Problem is, I think Jinyoung’s there this time.

 

 

‘Oh! Jaebum hyung is here!’ And mayhem started with that announcement made by Bambam as you followed Jaebum into the studio, you gripping onto the corner of his shirt tightly again. Do I remember their names? I don’t think so… Especially seeing how I drank not long after knowing their names. There was- this, Youngjae dude right?

You quickly scanned their faces, hoping that it would help maybe even a little, until you saw one of them.

He felt your grip loosen almost instantaneously as he saw you spotting him among the five overly excited boys. And he definitely did not like the feeling of it, especially when the both of you smiled at each other.

You saw him lifting his hand to greet you, while you smiled back, conscious of Jaebum’s presence beside you. You turned to Jaebum slightly, and found him looking back at you. ‘He’s your friend isn’t he, I’ll understand.’

‘Thank you oppa!’ You grinned and quickly headed towards Jinyoung, not before bowing slightly to greet the rest, forgetting that a few of them were still younger than you, while Jaebum tried to control his facial expressions. It will probably take time, but I will try to understand. Keyword: Try.

 

‘Hey Won-ie.’ Jinyoung ruffled your hair as you hugged him. Try. Trying. … Not working. Did she really have to hug him?

‘Jinyoung oppa!’

‘I haven’t seen you around lately.’ And he was referring to how you no longer frequented his place. And that familiar peach scent was soon disappearing from his room.

‘I was busy.’ You shrugged as you sat down next to him on the couch, while Jaebum tried to get the boys to calm down, and for the three troublesome kids to get to the couch too. ‘Mom was harping on how I had things to settle before the wedding, and I had to explain to my boss too. But I did text you didn’t I?’

‘Yeah you did.’ But that isn’t enough. And why is she speaking of the wedding as though it's a small matter? ‘Is hyung treating you okay?’

‘Mmhmm.’

But it’s not like him either, to actually be so agreeable with this. And actually bringing her here to meet the guys again. He wouldn’t do it if he isn’t serious about it. ‘You were okay th-‘

‘Uh- Hyewon-sshi.’ The both of you turned to look at Jackson, Bambam and Yugyeom who were standing in front of you. Not to forget a Jaebum who was watching them from the side.

‘For that night.’

‘We wanted to apologize to you for making you drink when you already said that you couldn’t.’

‘We’re really sorry.’ You quickly stood up as the three of them bowed their heads.

‘It’s okay. Really! I’m fine. There’s nothing to apologize over.’

You saw Jackson peek up at you, and he immediately grinned. ‘See! I knew that Hyewonie was such a nice person! Jaebum hyung! You better treat her properly!’

‘I don’t need you to tell me that.’ Jaebum mumbled, but Jinyoung heard him clearly.

‘Jaebum hyung and Jinyoung hyung told us off badly.’ Bambam pouted as he stuck next to you, shoving Jinyoung away. While you were trying to comprehend what was happening. Everything was happening all at once, with overly excited boys, and you soon found yourself between Jackson and Bambam.

With Jaebum and Jinyoung glaring holes into their faces. ‘Yah!’

‘See see. Why are you friends with such a rude person and why are you getting married to another rude person! Plus he’s old!’ Jackson joked as he pointed at Jinyoung and then at Jaebum.

‘Noona, you should get those two hyungs to stop bullying us too!’ With the both of them beside you, it was as if there was an amplifier.

‘When did I!’ The both of them shouted in sync again, and they themselves were getting annoyed by that.

‘Birds of the same feather flock together.’

‘Noona, were you on a date with Jaebum hyung?’ Youngjae interrupted as he tried to change the topic, before his hyungs could get into a fight.   

‘We just went for the photo shoot. It wasn’t a date.’

‘Ohhhhh.’ Jackson cooed as he suddenly pulled Yugyeom, who was sitting on the other side of him, into a hug. ‘Did you hug like thisss?’

You could feel yourself blushing as you looked at them ridiculously, and Jinyoung noticed. They did, didn’t they? But of course they did. It was a wedding photo shoot anyways. What can you expect? 

‘Noona, did you kiss?’ Yugyeom added, and covered his face as the three of them squealed. With that, the flashback of that split second where your lips touched appeared in your head.

‘Yah. Why are you guys asking so much.’ Jaebum butted in, seeing that you were zoning out, but someone continued asking.

‘You didn’t right?’ You turned to Jinyoung who was looking straight at you. 

‘Hmm?’ 

‘You didn’t kiss right?’ After a moment of hesitation, you shook your head. Really?

‘That’s a waste! I’m sure it would have been-‘

‘Wang Jackson!’

‘Okayokay. Rude.’ 

‘Why are the three of you hogging around Hyewon-sshi when Jaebum is the one who is her fiancé.’ Mark finally said as he looked disapprovingly at the guys.

However, none of them moved, while they turned to stare at each other as you shifted uncomfortably.

‘Bambam you move.’

‘No, Jackson hyung you move!’

Jackson turned to Yugyeom. ‘What? What’s the point if I move? I’m not sitting directly next to noona!’

‘It’s okay. Let them sit there.’ Jaebum sighed as he settled on the empty space on the ground next to the couch. But you did not remove your eyes from him. You’re not supposed to let them sit here! I’ve not gotten used to them yet! And Jackson oppa is creepy!

You pouted slightly as you looked at him, lifting your hand in Jackson’s direction slightly, hoping that no one else would notice, and that he would get it.

Jaebum willed himself not to smile as he saw you asking him for help, and stood back up. ‘Jackson.’

‘Eesh. Hyung. Why can’t you ask Bambam to let you sit instead?’ Jackson whined as he stood up nonetheless.

‘Why do you want to stay next to her in the first place?’ It’s not like you like her or anything.

‘She’s pretty. Can’t I sit next to a pretty girl? I don’t get to sit next to someone as pretty as her everyday with six grown men around me 24/7!’ He continued whining as he plotted onto the ground, taking the spot between Mark and Youngjae.

‘Are you trying to hit on noona?’ Youngjae asked him, his eyes widening.

‘And what if I say yes?’

‘Jackson hyung!’ All attention was on Jinyoung when he shouted that. What’s with him?

‘So, anyways. Are you staying for dinner? How does delivery sound?’ Mark interrupted, before anyone could make anymore unwitty comments, and to get the attention off Jinyoung too. This is bad.

 

 

Mark pulled onto Jinyoung once they sent you off. He saw, how Jinyoung did not remove his eyes from you even once, and how his face darkened when you were mentioned with Jaebum together in a sentence.

He knew, before hand, that Jinyoung had feelings for that ‘friend’ he would talk to Mark about. And whenever he did, he could tell how happy he was, from his voice, his excited gestures, and the glint in his eyes.

And when that day Jaebum got wasted, he knew that he found that name all too familiar. It was same as the one that Jinyoung would accidentally say out when he was telling him about her. Much of a coincidence it was.

‘Yes hyung?’ Jinyoung asked, tired, as Mark pulled him to a corner.

‘Jinyoung-ah, about her, you should watch it. Don’t blow it up.’ Mark could not find any way to make it sound nice, and he did not want to take sides either. ‘At least, you know who she’s getting engaged to. Jaebum hyung will treat her nicely.’

But I don’t want that. I can do even better. And I’m sure of it. ‘Yes hyung.’

Mark was still disturbed, especially when Jinyoung’s tone did not improve. In fact, it sounded as though it worsened.

  


 

Jaebum was lingering around the gate of your house as he contemplated whether or not to enter. He was certain that your mother or grandmother would not mind, they would welcome him brightly, even, but he was unsure of what he was there in the first place for. It was not exactly time for lunch or dinner. It was 10.30am and he had nothing to do on a Saturday.

Just when he finally decided to open the gate, someone called him from behind, and that someone did not sound too happy to see him there. ‘What are you doing here Jaebum hyung?’

‘What do you mean by what am I doing here? What are you doing here?’ He emphasized slightly on the ‘you’ as he asked him back. I wanted to bring Won-ie out. But he could not get himself to say it, and Jaebum saw him hesitating. ‘Jinyoung-ah, we need to talk.’

 

 

How do I phrase this in a nice manner. I don’t actually like her. It’s just for reputation sake. She can’t be seen around being close with some other guy when she’s already engaged, and even after the marriage.

‘I don’t think you should meet her that often anymore.’ Jinyoung was staying silent as he stared at him. ‘Since she’s getting engaged, you know.’

‘So am I just supposed to sit back and do nothing while the person I like get engaged?’ Jaebum did not expect that from Jinyoung at all. He suspected that Jinyoung had those feelings, but he was not certain. And certainly not prepared for this.

‘Jinyoung-ah.’

‘Hyung. I like her. You know she’s the one who comes over every time. You know that I wouldn’t bring any girl over. Heck. I never even thought of bringing any girl but her over.’

Wait. What is he trying to do. ‘Okay, if you’re afraid that your friendship will-‘

‘Hyung, can’t you not marry her?’ This isn’t suppose to happen. I didn’t even- Where did he find the guts to just ask me to call this thing off.

Jaebum still tried to keep his cool, prioritizing his relationship with Jinyoung since young. ‘Jinyoung, this isn’t something I can control.’

‘Can’t you just object to it?’

‘We’ve already settled the date and the invitations are given out. And the photoshoot. Everything is more than half done.’

‘Are you really going to marry her when you don’t even like each other?’

‘And does she like you?’ No she doesn’t. Jaebum himself did not even know where that surge of confidence came from for him to think that way.

‘At least she’ll like me more than you right?’

‘How would you know?’ Jaebum shot back, and Jinyoung froze.

W-What does he mean by that. What did he do to her to make him say that- Does she really- ‘She doesn’t like you.’

‘Fine. If she likes you, I’ll call it off.’ Jinyoung stared at Jaebum. Is he being serious? ‘The first person she kisses, on the lips. Will get her.’ Well, hyung was the one who came up with it. Not me.

‘Deal. Whether arranged or not.’

 

Knowing you well, Jinyoung was certain that it would not work out for Jaebum if you found out about everything, especially when the latter was the one who came up with it. She can’t possibly like Jaebum hyung more than me, I’ve known her for ages. And hyung is clearly not her type according to the past times I asked her about who she would like.

 

She doesn’t like Jinyoung the same way he likes her. Why am I doing this in the first place? Who am I doing this for? It’s not like I like her at all? Then, I’ll just get her to do it. She wouldn’t kiss Jinyoung, she knows that she’s engaged. As long as I get it over and done with as soon as possible, we’ll not drag this on for long. And she wouldn’t find out. And hopefully, there’s still hope for Jinyoung and I. Though I highly doubt so. 

 



[A/N] DENGDENGDENGDENG. It's nearly a month since my last update oops. Hope that this chapter was fine though!

I'll probably take quite some time until the next update since my end of year exams are starting in less than a month (not exactly even near the end of the year yet but my school brought it forward even more :() and it's only ending on 7 Oct so yeah. Though I'll try to update it when possible!

Thank you so much for the subscribes and comments and support!

And hope that I'm not boring you with the story so far xD

Don't forget to comment and subscribe! ;)

Thank you!

<3