Side Story #2: Chanyeol's Final Goodbye

When You Loved the Other Half of Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanyeol walked back and forward hesitantly outside the school building. His eyes were lingering around, observing the building which he hadn’t seen for quite a long time. It was still the same—that white-painted school building. He was also wearing the school uniform, which he hadn’t worn because he had the new one.

He darted his attention to his wristwatch, which told him it was almost 3 o’clock. Chanyeol remembered, the school would end at 3 P.M before continuing extra classes at 4. Pulling out his phone from his coat pocket, he texted Taewoo immediately, informing him about his arrival outside the school. Not long after, Taewoo replied, saying that he would pick him up at the gate and told Chanyeol to stay there. Chanyeol didn’t reply to the last text and put the phone back in the pocket.

Once again he observed the school building from the outside. It was weird to come there although he wasn’t a student anymore. Thankfully, his mother still kept his old uniform, so he could wear them and he wouldn’t stand out too much for wearing any other clothes. After some time observing, some familiar feelings creeped inside him, so he intentionally paid attention to his shoes instead.

“Yah! Park Chanyeol!”

Chanyeol looked up and saw his best friend, Taewoo, who ran as if he was chased by scary dog, although Taewoo was too happy to be compared to a person who was chased by a dog. Chanyeol’s lips formed his usual smile as he walked closer to the gate. He could hear Taewoo was talking to the school’s security.

“My friend here was a student, Sir,” Taewoo explained, “look, he wears the uniform!”

The security guard looked at Chanyeol from head to toe. “I think I remember you,” he mumbled.

“I really was a student here, Sir,” Chanyeol added to assure the security.

“So, what are you doing here if you’re not a student anymore?” the security guard asked suspisciously.

Taewoo took over the conversation. “We have a get-together in our class before the extra classes begin. Sir, please let him in,” Taewoo begged.

The security guard paused for a moment before saying, “Alright, but I have to check your belongings.”

Chanyeol voluntarily opened his bag for the security to inspect his bag. After making sure Chanyeol didn’t bring anything dangerous or forbidden, the security guard put all of Chanyeol’s belongings back to its spot inside the bag. His work was really tidy and precise.

“You should go out at 4 sharp, do you understand?” the security guard asked to Chanyeol as he handed back his bag.

“Yes, Sir,” Chanyeol promised.

Taewoo dragged Chanyeol immediately to the classroom. Chanyeol was taken aback by his best friend’s action. “I thought the bell hasn’t rung yet?” Chanyeol asked. Just when he finished saying that, the bell rang. Students started to fill the school hall and aisles.

“Yep, it rang,” Taewoo saing in joy. “Do you still remember where our class is?”

Chanyeol nodded. Although he didn’t spend much time at that classroom in senior year, he actually remembered the location well. As Taewoo dragged him to the classroom, Chanyeol’s mind went back to a year before. When he walked passed the vending machine, he saw himself buying drinks for Haera. In bewilderment, Chanyeol blinked and diverted his gaze somewhere else.

“Do you remember this class?” Taewoo asked carefully, pointing at one of the classrooms.

Again, Chanyeol nodded. “It’s our class in the second year.” Unconsciously, Chanyeol slowed down his pace and finally stopped in front of one of its windows.

Taewoo sighed secretly and let Chanyeol sank into his own memories. Chanyeol peeked from the window. Suddenly, he felt like he was still in the second year again. He could see his previous homeroom teacher scolded Taewoo in front of the class for playing pranks. He remembered he nearly failed for holding his laughter because it was too funny. The scene changed, and now he could see he was sitting on the chair next to Haera. He could see the himself wrapped his arm around Haera’s shoulder as both of them chatting. The scene was so heartwarming, but it disappeared in a second, causing Chanyeol to gulp down his sadness. The scene inside the class changed again, it was the last day of the second year. All of his classmates gathered around and put flowers on the desk where Haera usually took.

“Yah, Park Chanyeol. Some of the students inside are starting to look weirdly at you,” Taewoo whispered.

Chanyeol was brought back to reality from his memory journey. “Ah, right. Let’s go.”

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah… Suddenly I remembered some things,” Chanyeol answered, still in daze. Taewoo tapped Chanyeol’s shoulder sympathetically before leading him to the classroom.

It didn’t take long to reach the classroom, because it was located near the previous classroom.

“Guys, look who’s here!” Taewoo announced in front of the door. All of the students inside the classroom paid attention to the sudden loud voice and immediately cheered out of joy when Chanyeol walked inside.

“PARK CHANYEOL!”

“Yah! How have you been?”

“You look the same, oh my!”

“How’s school in Seoul?”

“I’m doing fine,” Chanyeol answered happily. “All of you are still the same! Whoa… I miss this class.”

Chanyeol walked straight to his previous desk. “It’s been a while,” Chanyeol mumbled as he observed the whole class. “Sorry, I didn’t bring anything for all of you.”

“Eeey, what are you talking about? Your presence itself is already something for us,” Jaehwan said, full of cheesiness as always.

Chanyeol laughed. “You’re still loud as ever,” he commented.

Jaehwan made a face. “Do you think my voice will change in just several months? Aish, this kid.” He shook his head jokingly. “I can now imitate more animals, you know?”

The whole class laughed. “True, he scared Ms. Goo by imitating a duck,” Kyung acknowledged Jaehwan's skill. “What’s that voice? Is there a duck in this class?! This is not funny, students!” Kyung immediately imit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter