#28 Run Away

When You Loved the Other Half of Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Few days later, you woke up in bad mood knowingly it was Saturday. On school days, you loved Saturday and Sunday, but during holiday, you hated it. It meant your parents wouldn’t go to work and stayed at home. You absolutely preferred to be home alone with Minkyung like most of the times, since your relationship with your parents weren’t that nice.

When you reached the dining room, all your family members were already in there. Dad was busy with his PC tablet, while Minkyung was eating a slice of toast. Mom was stirring something on the stove, indicating the food wasn’t ready yet. Sometimes, Dad would go to the company if there was an emergency meeting on weekends, but today it seemed like both your mother and father wouldn’t go anywhere.

“Good morning,” you greeted your family politely.

“Hey, Miyeon-ah,” Minkyung greeted you back with her stunning smile. “Nice sleep last night?”

“Not really,” you answered as you pouted. You didn’t lie, because last night you really couldn’t sleep well.

Minkyung pouted too. “Why? Aren’t you tired? Is something bothering you?"

“I’m tired, but… I just couldn’t sleep,” you mumbled while reaching for toast. You didn’t want to answer her because your reason was really private.

Last night after you replied Chanyeol’s good night message, you continuously thinking about him and even starting to miss him. Chanyeol started to send you one good night message every night since the trip, which made you waiting for his message with pounding heart.

You wanted to send him another message to bring up conversation, but you decided not to. Chanyeol could feel disturbed if you suddenly sent him messages other than ‘good night’ message.

Inside your head, moments with Chanyeol during the trip kept playing and still on repeat for about 2 hours last night. You kept convincing yourself about the moments—you felt those moments were unreal. It made you missing him even more, causing your bad night sleep. Missing someone must be one of the reasons why people didn’t get good night sleep.

The smell of kimchi stew diverted your thoughts to reality. Your mom opened the lid and revealed the delicious looking kimchi stew. It was always too spicy for you, but in this cold weather, a bit of spicy could warm your body.

“Be careful, it’s still hot since it’s just boiled,” Mom warned.

“I’ll eat well.” Both Minkyung and you said it in sync.

Dad put away his PC tablet and Mom joined the rest of the family members on the table. For a moment, the sound that could be heard was only eating utensils clanking with plates. You carefully fed yourself a mouthful of kimchi stew. The heat reached your tongue too quick, made you reached for water in a second and gulped it down.

“Careful when eating, Cha Miyeon,” your mother reminded in sharp tone.

“Yes, Mom,” you mumbled. This time you ate even more carefully than before.

Dad stared at you and Minkyung as he ate. After gulping down the food inside his mouth, he began talking. “Already on your last semester of high school, huh?”

Minkyung nodded. “It feels exciting yet disappointing, Dad. I don’t want high school ends, it’s just too magical.”

You scoffed unintentionally. Of course for Minkyung, high school was magical. You believed Minkyung also felt the same in elementary and middle school. She had friends who glued to her all the time, so she wasn’t afraid of being alone. There was always someone who accompanied her having lunch. Bunch of people, for exact, not someone. Eating lunch alone was . Not counting her friends, there were still many students who adored Minkyung anyway.

For someone with a ‘brain’ like Minkyung, you believed there was no time when she was staying up all night to study something and still didn’t get it until she was tired. Minkyung completed all her assignments excellently—more like effortlessly. She just needed an hour or two to master the topic, then she would answer 80 percent of the test questions correctly—and would score more if she studied even more thoroughly. Compared to you, Minkyung was fast to catch lessons.

You were the turle and Minkyung was the rabbit. Sadly, your story didn’t have a twist like turtle-rabbit story. Minkyung wasn’t a cocky rabbit, so she still won the race. No matter how hard you wanted to catch her up, she ran even faster without herself knowing.

School was fun if you had social life and good grades, just like what people always said. Minkyung had both. You couldn’t say you had none, considering you still had two good friends and not-so-bad-grades for several subjects and excellent grades for literature and sociology. Also, you weren’t a bullied kid, just unintentionally invisible for most of students. At least you weren’t that pathetic in your opinion.

“Why are you scoffing just now?” Dad asked suspiciously, but not sounded judgemental.

You were surprised by your own scoff. Hurriedly, you tried to find a reason. “Well, school would be more magical if there were no tests, right, Kyung-ah?” you asked, too cheerfully to cover your nervousness.

Fortunately, neither Minkyung nor your parents sensed your nervousness. Minkyung nodded excitedly. “You are so right, Myeon-ah!” She gave you a thumb up.

You felt relieved because no one brought up your unintended scoff again.

“What major do you want to take for college, Miyeon-ie?” Dad asked in serious tone.

Uh-oh, it’s a serious-talk time. You weren’t prepared to answer that question, to be honest. Besides, usually your Dad would call or ask Minkyung first so you could prepare your answer. Unfortunately, not this time.

After hesitating, you spoke.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter