#30 Knowing Better

When You Loved the Other Half of Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After taking the Seoul Subway Line 1, you immediately tapped your t-money and got out of Sinimun Station with Chanyeol in front of you. Sinimun Station was the last station you had to get off before continuing your journey to Namyangju. Another wave of people came out from the station, made you walked to the pedestrian road quickly in order to make way for them.

“Miyeon-ah, are you sure we took the right exit?” Chanyeol asked as he stood beside you.

“It doesn’t matter which exit we came from, because now we should grab a taxi,” you answered leisurely, looking around to search for available taxi.

“Ah—right, there is no subway heading to Namyangju,” Chanyeol mumbled. He checked out the money he got inside his wallet. “Will the cost blow up? I don’t have much,” Chanyeol added, showing you his money inside the wallet.

You counted his money inside your head. 25,000 won. “It’s more than enough,” you said to calm him, “I have 20,000 won. It will take around 35,000 won to get there, so we get enough money at least for now.”

“Do you still remember its location?” Chanyeol asked. He remained silent for a moment before adding worriedly, “please say yes.”

You looked up to him, staring at his eyes. “Of course I remember, Namyangju is a part of my childhood,” you uttered calmly. Then, you smiled shyly. “It’s a bit blurry, though, but I think I’ll remember as soon as I see the surrounding,” you continued.

Chanyeol nodded. “Okay, as long as you don’t make the driver goes round and round because you can’t remember that building,” Chanyeol joked.

You punched his shoulder lightly. “Eeyy, please believe in me,” you asked while pouting, although inside you weren’t sure whether you remembered where it was or not. Because Chanyeol looked worried, you shouldn’t make him waver more.

Chanyeol managed to notice a taxi which its passengers just got off of it. He immediately dragged you to the taxi and pushed you lightly into the taxi first. He also got in as soon as you positioned yourself at the back seat.

“To Namyangju, please,” you said to the driver. “I’ll tell you the direction later after we enter Namyangju.”

The driver just nodded leisurely, then started driving. 15 minutes later, the taxi had entered Namyangju. You took a look at the surrounding carefully and directed the driver at intersections. Amazingly, it turned out you still remembered the way to get there. That special place for Minkyung.

The surrounding was getting more familiar after five minutes. The swimming pool where you and Minkyung used to go when you were children. The ice-cream shop where you would buy Minkyung one if you got additional money. The park where you and Minkyung played swings together. The kindergarten where you and Minkyung were enrolled before finally your family moved to Seoul.

“Our family's previous house is that way,” you pointed at a road beside you to inform Chanyeol. A rush of flashbacks was crossing inside your mind right now.

“Whoa,” Chanyeol muttered. He was busy looking around because he wasn’t familiar with this location.

You pointed out the places you went when you were a child and Chanyeol would quickly take a look at the building as the taxi continued to drive away. As the taxi nearing the place, you told Chanyeol to look for Minkyung’s car. Soon, you saw that familiar building. You asked the driver to just drop Chanyeol and you here. After paying, both of you got off of the taxi.

You looked up, observing the old building. It looked unmaintained, very different from what you remembered. The colors of the paint were already faded, which disappointed you because it used to be so beautiful.

“This is the building?” Chanyeol’s question startled you.

You nodded. “Let’s walk inside.”

You could easily push the gate. What you saw at the small parking lot excited you. Minkyung’s car.

“Look!” you exclaimed excitedly, pointing at Minkyung’s car.

Chanyeol sighed in relief. At least this journey turned out to be the right decision to make.

You led Chanyeol to the side entrance of the building. Paintings were hung nicely on the wall although most of it covered in dust. This building used to be the place where Minkyung went to have her painting course when she was still in kindergarten. Your parents only enrolled Minkyung because you didn’t show any interest or talent in painting. Although only Minkyung was enrolled, almost every time you joined her inside the class just to watch her painting on canvas.

Your heart was beating fast as you took the stairs to the second floor. You still remembered Minkyung’s class—it was the third room on the right. Chanyeol followed you quietly from behind. When you reached the third room on the right, the door was closed, unlike other rooms. Carefully, you opened the door while Chanyeol waiting outside the room.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter