#22 Waving Hands

When You Loved the Other Half of Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That night, you were looking for your new maroon coat that you hadn’t used before. You didn’t want the coat to be dirty for this event, so you didn’t wear it before. You exhaled loudly because you were getting impatient. Once again, you searched your maroon coat all over your room. After having no result, you went to Minkyung’s room.

“Kyung!” you called before opening the door. You didn’t wait for her response and just barged into her room. Minkyung was back-facing you, busy packing her clothes and stuffs into her hot pink suitcase.

“Hmm?” she hummed, noticed your presence inside her room.

You sat on her nicely arranged bed. “Have you seen my new maroon coat?”

Minkyung turned to your direction in a blink. “Ah! Sorry, Miyeon-ah. I took it to the laundry for dry-clean yesterday and just picked it from the laundry this evening. Your coat is downstairs, I hung it on coat hanger,” Minkyung answered with apologetic look.

You sighed in relief. “I thought that coat was missing,” you mumbled. “By the way, thank you for taking it to the laundry for me.”

Minkyung smiled as she continued packing her necessities. “No problem! I also dry-cleaned my new coat. I knew that you would probably forget to wash it first before wearing it. You were busy studying these days.”

“It’s now over, at least for a month,” you said happily.

You said so because all students in your school just finished having final tests for this semester last week. You studied pretty hard for few weeks ago because you were nervous about your math and physics grades. Minkyung of course helped you studying as much as she could, not only math but also subjects like economics and biology. Sometimes, Yeri and Soohyun would come to your house and spend the night studying together, then woke up late the next day.

The busy schedule nearing the finals didn’t make you frustrated, though. Instead, you were glad it came. At least, all those chaotic moments shifted your mind away from Chanyeol temporarily. You didn’t talk to him after his birthday, but this time you didn’t mind because you were busying yourself with something more important like preparing yourself for finals. It was better than to be on your devastated mind all the time. The bottom line was, the finals helped you to not thinking about Chanyeol all the time.

In fact, you were about to get used to it—not interacting with Chanyeol. Soohyun once said between recesses that you didn’t glance at Chanyeol as much as before. Yeri also voiced her admiration for your determination of moving on from him because you didn’t talk to him.

Actually, the reason you didn’t glance to him was because Soohyun always tried to study while eating lunch. It made you nervous and felt guilty—it felt like you hadn’t studied much—so you joined her studying. The reason you didn’t talk to him because you didn’t have time to do it. You were always walking to your class in the morning, changed books between recesses, and put your books away in a speed of light. You also spent much time in the library, so you rarely met him.

Actually, you did talk to him, if greeting him back when he greeted you first was counted. You had to admit, having a locker beside Chanyeol’s locker didn’t let you to not interacting with him at all. Sometimes, you would bump to Chanyeol who was just arrived at school and wanted to pick up some of his books. How could you not say hello? It would make your relationship with him all weird—or worse, all ruined—so you let yourself greet him sometimes.

After finals ended, the seniors in your school were busy preparing themselves for field trip after Christmas. It would take three days and the destination was Gangwon-do. For specific, all seniors were going to a ski resort. Minkyung said she was grateful because the school annually arranged field trip for seniors before facing the real final exams that would determine your life—were you going to graduate or not?

You were also happy for this field trip, but honestly you didn’t mind to just rest at home. You did think of not coming, but again Minkyung made you come. Her reason was similar to her argument why you should come to the senior project party—because it would be the last field trip for seniors before graduating. So there were you, packing for the three days field trip.

After packing all your stuffs inside your suitcase, you realized the night had become late and you should sleep soon or else you would wake up unfit.

The next day, Dad drove you and Minkyung to school with your suitcases. Dad didn’t let Minkyung to bring her car because the car would be in school parking lot for three days. He was concerned that the car might have malfunction because of the cold weather. It was already winter and the snow this year was no joke.

Your dad made a turn to your school and parked the car. The school was already flooded by seniors. Dad was helping you and Minkyung with your suitcases since both of those suitcases were heavy.

“Thanks, Daddy!” Minkyung hugged Dad and kissed his cheek. Dad patted her crown and smiled a fatherly smile.

You were uncomfortable of hugging your parents because you didn’t get used to it, so you shyly thanked your dad with a light bow. “Thank you, Dad.”

“Be safe, two of you,” Dad warned for the last time before getting in the car. Minkyung and you waved at your dad’s car that moved further away.

“Minkyung-ah!” someone called. Minkyung and you turned to the source of voice and found Mink

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter