#39 As Simple as That

When You Loved the Other Half of Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

March, The Last Dance Project D-Day, 6 P.M.

 

Carefully, you applied mascara on your lashes. Being a newbie in make-up thingy, you couldn’t stop your hands from shaking when you tried to apply the mascara finely. Minkyung taught you about how to apply it correctly the night before, but somehow you couldn’t do it right. Sighing in defeat, you put down the mascara and reviewed your look. The mascara was a bit smudging, so you tried to fix it by doing zig-zag movement while applying your mascara through your lashes.

“Ah, I don’t know anymore,” you mumbled as you moved on to your lips. You didn’t have many lip products, but Minkyung did. She lent you the liquid lipstick she treasured so much because she thought it would suit your magenta dress. You didn’t have any clothing in magenta, and you bought this dress only because Minkyung assured you about how you would look good in magenta.

Applying liquid lipstick was harder than you thought. Following Minkyung’s know-how, you managed to apply it althought Minkyung would apply it neater. Minkyung wasn’t able to help you dressing up because she had to go to the hall where the last dance project would be held earlier, since she was a big part of the project. She left home at noon with her dress and make-up products in a big bag when Junmyeon picked her up.

In hurry, you straightened your hair with Minkyung’s hair straightener because you knew Chanyeol would be here soon. After struggling with it for 20 minutes, you turned it off and arranged your hair with hands.

“Miyeon! Your friend is here!” your mother called for you from downstairs.

Your heart sunk and started to beat in irregular pace. “Please tell him to wait for few more minutes!” you asked in louder voice.

You could definitely hear Chanyeol talking to your parents downstairs, and it made you nervous. As you were done spraying yourself with some perfume, you grabbed your black heels and put it on. After making sure you bought all important belongings inside the purse, you stepped out of your room and made your way downstairs.

“There she is,” your father said as he noticed your presence.

Chanyeol stared at you and smiled warmly. It was the first time Chanyeol met your parents, so it was all awkward. You wanted to escape so badly.

“Are you all done?” Chanyeol asked.

In return, you nodded. You turned your head to your parents. “I’ll be home soon.”

“Take your time, it’s your last event in high school,” Dad assured you. You were surprised by his words because he usually a bit strict about going home late. “Make sure you send her back here safely, Chanyeol,” he continued while staring at Chanyeol a bit sharply.

Chanyeol didn't waver and bowed 45 degrees. “Yes, Sir, I will,” Chanyeol promised.

“Will Minkyung go home with you?” Mom asked you in concern. As always, she was worrying about Minkyung a lot.

“I’m not sure because she will be very busy there. Don’t worry though, there is Junmyeon. I bet he’ll take her home safely,” you answered lightly.

“The guy from before?” Dad asked for confirmation. He noticed lately Minkyung didn’t drive her car. Instead, a guy kept picking her up with nice car when she was about to go somewhere.

You nodded. Your mother sighed in relieve. “You two better get going, it’s already past 6,” She reminded both of you. “It’s nice to meet you, Chanyeol.”

“It’s nice to meet you too, Sir, Ma’am,” Chanyeol replied politely. You noticed Mom looked satisfied with his manner, so you let out a tiny relieved sigh.

“I’ll be going now,” you said to your parents as you waved your hand. Chanyeol bowed lightly one more time before following you. Both of you went outside and you spotted Chanyeol’s noona’s car.

“Are you borrowing your noona’s car?” you asked in awe. You could count with one hand how many times Chanyeol borrowed his noona’s car to go out with you. Usually, both of you would take subway or busway. Today felt so special.

Chanyeol walked to passanger’s door next to driver’s seat and opened it for you. “Of course, it’s a prom. I won’t like it if you have to take subway now.”

As you got in the car and seated comfortably, Chanyeol closed the door and got in the car himself. “Miyeon-ah, you look beautiful,” Chanyeol praised sincerely while looking at your eyes.

“Thank you, that’s nice to hear,” you thanked him with smile. Gladly it was dark so you were so sure Chanyeol couldn't see your cheeks were all flushed. “You also look handsome with tuxedo. It’s my first time seeing you wearing it," you complimented. So it was true, a guy in tuxedo had his attractiveness raised significantly.

Chanyeol chuckled. “Your parents are nice,” he commented as he buckled up.

“For some reasons,” you added, following him putting on your own seatbelt. “Honestly, I was relieved it wasn't going to be as bad as I predicted. Well, let’s go now if you’re ready to drive, Mr. Driver,” you .

Chanyeol nodded his head politely and plastered a playful smirk on his face. “Yes, Ma’am.” Steadily, Chanyeol drove through the streets.

“Was your mic check okay?” you asked curiously, referring to his last practice at the hall.

Chanyeol nodded without diverting his eyes from the streets. “Thankfully, Kyungsoo recovered from sore throat. Minkyung was really satisfied with our performance, you can really look forward to it.” He glanced at you for a second and winked.

“I will be at the very front row when you’re performing,” you promised.

Chanyeol stretched out his right hand and muffled your hair softly. “Thank you,” he said with a big smile on his face.

It didn’t take so long to reach the school main hall, so you arrived there just in time although you departed a bit late. Chanyeol grabbed your hand lightly and led you to the entrance. It was such a relief that Chanyeol held your hands, because the heels really bothered you. It felt like you were about to fall anytime.

Your eyes were opened wide when you entered the hall because it was decorated nicely. Not too simple, but not too ‘adult’. It still had the touch of youth, which made the hall looked lively. The color palette also didn’t disappoint you—pastel and fresh colors domina

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter