#21 Farewell Present

When You Loved the Other Half of Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Oh, Miyeon-ah!” Chanyeol called cheerfully. His voice rang intensely inside your ears. You couldn’t remember the last time he called your name. You forgot how deep was his voice when he called your name because you hadn’t heard it for about two weeks. His voice hypnotized you, but you knew you should make a move. You took a deep breath and started walking towards him. Miyeon, it’s now or never.

You walked straight to him and stopped in front of your own locker. “Hi, Yeol,” you greeted as you smiled. Chanyeol was smiling back at you, made your inside warm. Your heart started to thump faster.

“Why are you here? Minkyung left like 30 minutes ago,” Chanyeol asked.

“I’m at the library. Tidying up my notes, as usual,” you answered. You didn’t lie, because you really were tidying your notes while waiting for female students who watched Chanyeol’s practice to go home. You shifted your gaze to his locker with an amused smile. “Whoa, you are really popular among students,” pointed you at one of the sticky notes.

Chanyeol’s ears were reddened. “Ah—not really…”

You looked at him with ‘oh, come on’ expression. “Your bag is going to be flooded by the presents. Are you able to bring it all to your home?”

“No, that’s why I keep some inside my locker, then bring it home gradually,” Chanyeol answered shyly.

You just smiled hearing his innocent answer. Talking to him gave you a soothing breeze to your tangled brain. Chanyeol and you didn’t talk for a while, just staring at each other’s eyes.

“It’s been a long time since I talked to you,” Chanyeol suddenly spoke, breaking the silence.

He sounded relieved. You smiled sadly and looked down because you couldn’t look at him at his eyes. “Yeah…” you commented lowly. You took a deep breath before ping your bag to take your farewell present.

Chanyeol was observing you without words. You held the simple looking gift that wrapped with a dark gift wrap paper and stared at Chanyeol. With smile, you presented your present in front of him. “Happy birthday, Park Chanyeol,” you  congratulated him with sincerity.

A surprised look was plastered on his face. “How do you know?”

“Honestly, I overheard some female students about your birthday a week ago. I just knew that time. I think I should give you present as a friend,” you answered calmly.

Chanyeol took the present from your hands. He smiled gratefully. “Thank you so much, Miyeon-ah,” he thanked you.

“Sorry, the packaging isn’t pretty,” you stated shyly. Your heart filled with regret for not wrapping the present properly.

Chanyeol patted your head. “It doesn’t matter. What matter is the inside of this packaging,” Chanyeol said caringly. You bit your lower lips by his action. You missed his caring actions toward you so much. You missed both his caring and cheerful smiles. You missed his scent. But now it was time to say goodbye.

“I hope you’ll like it,” you said shortly.

Chanyeol nodded, still with smile. “I bet I’ll like it.”

Again, you took a deep breath. It seemed like the time for you to say goodbye. “Hmm... well, it’s time for me to go home.”

“Right, it’s getting darker outside,” Chanyeol mumbled, eyeing a large window. “Do you want me to walk you home?”

You really wanted to say yes. Just like old times, when you and Chanyeol would sit together at the back of the bus. Or like when the bus didn’t have many seats left so Chanyeol had to stand beside you who sat comfortably. You shook your head anyway. “No, thanks. I still have to go somewhere else… You don't want to be late for your radio segment, do you?”

“Ah, right… I shouldn’t be late,” Chanyeol muttered as he took a look at his watch on his right wrist. “Go home safely, would you?” He said that as he stared at you with concerned gaze.

“I will, it’s still early,” you promised to calm him. “Bye, Chanyeol-ah,” you bade your goodbye by waving shortly at him.

“Bye, Miyeon,” Chanyeol also bade his goodbye to you. After smiling at him for the last time, you walked away and reached the bus stop as fast as possible. You hoped he understood the meaning of your present. There was this part of you that regretted for giving him that implicit present, but this was for the best anyway.

 

Chanyeol got off of the bus and walked leisurely to the radio station. He didn’t know where to spend his time before going to the radio station, so he decided to just wait inside the building. He played your present with his hand inside his coat’s left pocket. He was still wondering what your present was, because it was simply the smallest and simplest present he accepted today.

When he stepped inside the radio station, some female seniors greeted him.

“Chanyeol-ah! Your noona said today is your birthday,” one of them said.

Chanyeol smiled shyly. “Yes, sunbaenim.” Why is noona spreading other people’s birthday, Chanyeol thought grumpily.

“Happy birthday!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter