Evolution

Love you? Sorry I can't

School went on hiatus for Winter Break. Like every year Mr.Bae was busier than usual since after winter break there is an exam for student of senior year.

As a model student, she spent her days studying in the living room.

I was Christmas Eve. Eunmi planned to study the day and spend the night with L.Joe, however in the middle of the day. A terrible headache reached her brain. She put her fingers on the side of her forehead before gently rubbing around.

“Your head again?” Mr.Bae asked.

Eunmi nodded softly. Her father sighed “These days, you keeps having headaches. I will take you to the doctor this afternoon.”

*Let’s hope it’s not what I fear the most* she thought desperately.

-----

“Doctor is it serious? My daughter keeps complaining about headache lately” Mr.Bae said.

Worry was written all over his face. Eunmi was also waiting for his explaination anxiously.

The doctor read the file in his hands “According to our test, your disease has worsened. In few days your eyesight will become hazier; also it will be more difficult to hear.”

She froze on her chair.

“Not, it’s impossible?! Doctor what can we do?” Her father eagerly asked.

He sighed “Plasmapheresis that she is already taking is only to decrease the possibility of the heart attack. We don’t have treatment for her eyes or ears”

Eunmi became quiet, she didn’t react much.  All of sudden, the sick girl stood up and bowed the doctor “Thank you”

Mr.Bae quickly thanks too and ran after her.

 

As she left the hospital, her mind was still blank. She walked to the parking like an errant. Confusion and depression crossed her mind.

Slowly tears made their appearance on her eyes. Her legs also gave up. Eunmi instantly fall on the ground.

Mr.Bae rushed toward her “Eunmi what’s wrong with your legs?”

Without a word, she pulled her father into a tight hug. The girl cried out loud, the pain in her mind was too big to keep.

Mr.Bae was also filled by sorrow.

“What did I do to deserve it?! I always knew I will never pass 30 years old. At each meal, I have to watch carefully what I’m eating in order to keep being alive. Now I just learn that I might be blind or deaf! Why is God so cruel?!” she yelled sobbing.

Her father’s eyes grew wet too. He softly patted her head “I know it’s difficult. But I’m here princess. Let’s overcome it together”

Eunmi’s buries her head in his broad chest to cry harder.            

 

That night, as planned, she stayed with L.Joe. They were in the kitchen of his house eating the dinner. She didn’t tell him about the bad news yet.

Her expression was kind of sad.

“Eunmi, aren’t you going to eat?” he asked concerned.

She meekly smiles “I’m already full.”

She was about to grab her glasses of water but all of sudden, her vision became blurry. She blinked trying to recover the right sight but nothing can be done. It was still hazy.”

“What do you think of this?” he asked while pointing an image in the catalogue. “I want to buy this, but I don’t know if it looks good on me.”

Eunmi became silent. Ignoring the situation, L.Joe continued to ask “And what do you think about this. Which one is better?”

Her heart cringed in pain.

“Huh? Eunmi?” he called confused. ”Are you alright? You are kind of pale.” He said while touching her face.

A lot of thought crossed her mind *If my condition keeps worsened. None of us can be happy.*

She suddenly stood up “Let’s break up” she proposed calmly.

His face fell “What? What kind of joke is it?!” he yelled outraged and shocked.

Eunmi was leaving but she bumped into the corner of the table due to her poor eyesight. Wincing a little bit, she tried to reach the door.

However L.Joe pulled her back in his arms “Are you alright? Are you hurt somewhere?” he eagerly check her body.

“Why are you so nice to me?” she whispered weakly.

“Didn’t I tell you that I leave you no matter what?”  L.Joe gently replied.

Eunmi buried her head in his broad shoulders “My eyes… I might be blind.”

L.Joe froze on her words. His heart crashed into thousands of pieces.

He squeezed her in his arms “Don’t worry. Everything will be fine. But don’t ever declare something like break up. It hurts so much”

“Byunghyun!!!!” she sobbed calling his name.

He lowered his head and plant a small kiss on the girl's head.