thirty six

there's a 'no' in 'noona' for a reason
Please log in to read the full chapter

suggestion from kira_bts, who's been reading this from day one. you're so amazing and i don't know how to say it but i love you, okay? thanks for being such a wonderful person!

six years old, and jungkook already knows what hardship is. in the orphanage, he's alone, no friends to speak of. it's not that he minds, really, he's a shy and quiet child who prefers to keep to himself. but hearing the other kids talk about their before lives, he's finally understanding that his wasn't normal. the "mommy, why?" and the silent tears she cried as she kissed him for the last time finally make sense.

he no longer has rice almost three meals a day, every day. he gets fish, pork, chicken, egg, and so much more that he barely even knew existed -- his mom just couldn't afford the grocery store prices and what little meat he got came from a butcher's pity. if he does decide to talk about his life to the other kids, they usually give him wide-eyed stares. it turns out that hand-knitted blankets and hand-me-down shirts aren't normal, and that he's supposed to go to the mall to buy his clothes and eat out at least once a week. jungkook's learning that his small family -- just himself and his single mother -- are poor indeed. were poor, jungkook corrects himself. now, he realizes with a pang in his chest, they're separate. the nice lady who checks up on him, soonkyu, says that he might be able to see his mother soon, but almost a year has passed and she hasn't turned up.

"but that's okay," soonkyu reassures him as she visits him one day. "you'll be getting a new family!"

jungkook simply blinks up at her. a new family? he doesn't want a new family! he just wants his mother and her kind smiles. he hugs his stuffed bunny closer to his chest. sensing his unease, soonkyu ruffles his hair.

"it's okay, jungkook," she says. "maybe your mother will visit you when you move in with your new family!"

"but i don't want a new family," he mumbles, kicking his chair. "i want my mommy."

soonkyu looks astonished. "jungkookie," her voice turns quieter. "i'm sorry. but your mommy would want you to be happy about getting a new family. this is what she wants for you!"

jungkook ponders this. i guess if mommy wants it, then i should be happy. "...okay," he replies quietly. "when will i get my new family?"

"in a few weeks," soonkyu claps her hands together, brightening instantly. "i'm so happy for you, jungkook!"

he smiles a little, which soonkyu deems as a sign of acceptance. she gets up and leaves, with promises to update him furth

Please log in to read the full chapter