fifteen

there's a 'no' in 'noona' for a reason
Please log in to read the full chapter

a/n: english will be italicized.

if jungkook had to rank everyone in his household by their english skill, best to worst, there's no doubt he'd put aimee at the top. born in san francisco, california, and having moved to seoul at the age of ten, she still retains much of her first language. even in korea, jungkook's parents didn't send her to a regular korean school like with everyone else, they put her in an international school where she learned both korean and english (along with taking some vietnamese lessons outside of school until she was in high school). jungkook remembers how their parents used to converse with her in english at times.

although now, aimee has less use for english (she speaks exclusively korean at her job and at home), she hasn't let her knowledge of it slide. all of her books are english, her phone's default language is english, and he still hears her speak english on the phone occasionally. he tries to eavesdrop, so it can maybe improve his vocabulary, but aimee speaks too quickly and uses too many confusing words that he can't keep up. he does learn some english in school, but her english is hard to decipher.

in second place would probably be namjoon. his english is impressive, especially for someone who's self-taught. jungkook thinks his english is perfect, aimee points out that he still has much to learn, especially since he pauses a lot in between words. and that's why namjoon asked her for help, and that's why all eight of them are sitting around the dining table (aimee and namjoon because they're supposed to be there, everyone else because they got curious).

"your accent is perfect, but i think you still have a lot of vocab to learn," aimee says to namjoon. he nods in reply, but jungkook isn't really sure what they're talking about because it's all in english. she smiles. "you say 'um' a lot in between words -- is it because you're thinking?"

namjoon pauses. finally, he replies, "yeah," a hint of blush covering his cheeks.

"i have no idea what they're saying," jimin whispers to jungkook. aimee overhears them and laughs.

"i'll teach you, too, okay?" she assures them. then, she turns to namjoon. "read more english books, it helps you learn proper english and expands your vocabulary, and also helps out with your grammar. and read websites in english! it helps more with things like slang, contractions... those are just as important."

he nods. "thank you, noona. can you also help me with writing?"

aimee smiles. "yeah. and remember: noona is korean. in english, we don't really have those honorifics. you could say miss, mr., or mrs., maybe, but you wouldn't use that with your friends or family. just call me aimee."

"i thought this would help me with english, but now i just feel dumber," hoseok adds.

"because you are dumb!" namjoon slaps him playfully. hoseok rolls his eyes.

"you're stupid!" taehyung calls in english, sticking his tongue out at namjoon. there's a rise of 'oooh's from the table.

"taehyung's got it," aimee says. 

"you're not gonna make him apologize?" namjoon cries.

"i'm good," she answers smugly.

"noona," yoongi pipes up. "there's a lot of slang terms in english. i really want to learn those."

Please log in to read the full chapter