Surprises

Never

"Na~ Let's go..." 

"That's fast...I thought we can spend longer here.." 

"Like I say...you can always come here if you want to....you've got the password and my permission..." 

"arasseo...you have something on tonight?" I got a call from my stepmum, wanting me back for dinner. But I don't know about him. 

"neh.my father called..you always see through me..Where's my privacy?" He acted like he was going to cry which made me laughed. 

"You look ugly..." 

"Yah!" And he leaned in to kiss me. "That's your punishment.." I really couldn't stand him anymore. He makes me so happy with his sudden actions which can be annoying. Sometimes he is just so mature. Sometimes he is just like a little boy. I love both sides of him. I love everything about him. So I couldn't help but feel guilty and apolegectic. 

We got in the car and he drove me to my place first. We were waiting by the traffic light, halfway home when I saw someone. It can't be... The light changed to green and he drove before I could get a second look. 

"Wait!" I blurted out. 

"what is it?" 

"turn back..." 

"ok..." He looked puzzled but he still did so. 

I looked again but I couldn't see him anymore. Maybe I saw wrong. There's too much going on in my mind recently. I must have seen wrong. It can't be him. 

"waeyo?" Then I realised Jongin was still there. 

"Oh..I..." I looked around to find an answer. "Wanted to drink bubble tea.." I pointed out of the window. This was the first time I lied to him. Oh gosh I feel so bad. Mianhae Kai... I just didn't know how to tell you. That I thought I saw him. 

"haha...such a kid...let me find somewhere to park then we will go buy it..." I nodded and flashed him a childish smile. But my heart was aching for lying to him. 

We got down the car and he held my hand as we crossed the street. People were looking at us. Yea, we're like celebrities. I think the whole Korea know us. 

"We should prepare a pen next time..." He whispered into my ear as we walked back to the car, with a cup of bubble tea in hand. 

"for what?" 

"because we're so popular now...more popular than celebrities i guess..." 

"who do you think you are? Taemin from SHINee?" 

"I'm probably hotter than him..." 

"your skin is really thick..." 

"that's why you like me..." And he smirked. Kim Jongin, stop making my life so happy with you. What am I going to do without you? 

--------------------------

Kai dropped me off and left. I got home and showered and dressed before driving to my father's place. I don't live with them. My father gave me a freedom to choose. Anyway he had a family, with my stepmum. I didn't want to spoil it for them too. Not that I hated her. 

My mother died when I was 5. I was alone. My father had no time for me. The only people taking care of me is probably the servants at home. My stepmum came when I was 10. She was nice to me. I didn't reject her as a mum. But I grew up knowing the sad truth that I was alone. And going to be alone the whole life. I knew one day she is going to have her own baby and have her own family with my father, and I would be the extra one. Which is why I moved out when she first got pregnant when I was 15. But she miscarried. And then I left for the states. And now I'm back. And I had to go back because she called me. I knew they had something planned for me again. 

I drove back to my original 'home' and the butler greeted me and invited me in. It's been long since I came back. I only came back once when I returned to Korea. Then I never came home since I got together with Kai. I only met my father occasionally at the company. And my stepmum when she came by to visit my father. 

"Haena, welcome home." She greeted me. 

"Omma..." I called her back. 

"we missed you..now go up and get changed...we prepared everything for you already... be quick because we have an important meeting.." I smiled at her with my best and went upstairs. We prepared everything for you already.. Those words ringed in my head. The meeting wouldn't be anything good I supposed. I could tell. I changed and put on makeup and went down. My stepmum was sitting on the sofa waiting for me with my father. 

"Abeoji.." I never called him appa because he was a stern man as I know him of. I can never call him affectionally. 

"you ready?" I nodded. "Let's go then.." 

In the car, it was very quiet. Until my father spoke. 

"Haena, you're old enough... I expect you to be in your best behaviour...and understand..." 

"neh abeoji." It must be a very important meeting for him, essential for his business. 

"Haena, you know that we love you right?" I smiled at my stepmum and looked at her womb. 

"When is it due?" I asked, to change the topic. I knew the meeting had something to do with me. I am going to be used. But I don't know how. Probably an arranged marriage?

"Next month!" She looks so excited when she said it. Of course that was her own flesh and blood. I was just someone else's daughter. 

"Congratulations!" I tried to sound as happy as I could. 

"your brother would be happy to see you.." Brother..so that' a boy...Well, I expected it. I expected what will happened to me. 

Then we reached the restaurant. The whole place was booked so there was only us and him. Park Chanyeol. and his family. He was Kai's friend, which makes him my friend. We were quite close. We know each other since young to make it clear. But we never really talked. It's just that our parents have business dealings so we would meet once in every while. I had no childhood friends like i said. We only got closer when I got together with Kai. We always gathered together with the other friends of his called EXO. They were of my generation, the next generation to take over their family businesses. Girls were head over heels over them. For money and of course their looks. If they weren't rich kids, they could possibly be the hottest boy group.

We greeted each other and sat in our seats. 

"Haena, Chanyeol, you guys are having your engagement party at the start of the next year. This gives you enough time to settle whatever you need to I suppose.." Chanyeol's mother spoke. I knew what she meant. She's talking about my relationship with Kai and Chanyeol's own problem. 

"engagement?!" Chanyeol said in shock. I guess he didn't know about it either. 

"Well, I know it's abit of a surprise... But your marriage was arranged long before you even know how to walk..." She said to Chanyeol and to me, indirectly. 

"wow..." he didn't know how to respond. I just remained quiet. I expected it. But I didn't expect the other party to be one of Kai's good friends. 

The dinner went on rather quietly. Me and Chanyeol did not speak unless needed. The adults were mainly talking about business. This marriage thing is for business too. Needless to say. No wonder, the Park family always seem so close to my family. 

"I'll take Haena home..." Chanyeol said when we're about to leave. 

"That'll be good..." My stepmum said. 

"Have a safe trip home.." I said to them. 

"You have a really nice and sensible daughter...Hyukjin..." Chanyeol's father said. My father just smiled politely. 

After they left, we got in Chanyeol's car. 

"Mianhae Haena, I didn't know--" 

"Gwaechanayo Chanyeol oppa.." I interrupted him. I can't blame him. He is innocent. 

"I don't know how to explain to Kai..." He looked really guilty. He must have feel very bad. He shouldn't. 

"It's ok oppa.. he will understand... we both don't have choice.. don't feel bad ok?" 

"but..." 

"trust me oppa... We knew what our relationship would be right at the start..." He seem abit assured and I was relieved. I can't bear to see him blaming himself. Because all we can is blame our life. 

"you know, even after we're married, you can still meet him...I wouldn't mind Haena...honestly I don't know how to see you as a wife.. I always thought of you as a younger sister.." He said while smiling. He was the brightest kid among the rest. He was always so happy looking, so optimistic. I wish I could be like him too. 

"I thought of you as my oppa too...and don't worry....I will have a clean break with him..." 

"No! I don't want to come between you guys.." There he go again, feeling guilty. 

"No no oppa...it's for our good...we can't be together.. we knew it all along.. and how can i still meet him when I'm married... even though you don't mind we still have to think for our parents and the image of our family.." 

"Haena, you're always so sensible and think so deeply...I don't even know how to explain to my girlfriend...but she just likes me for money so..." 

"Don't worry oppa...if you find someone you really love in the future, go ahead..." 

"gomawo haena.." I smiled to him. Then we reached my apartment. I alighted from the car and walked off when he called me back. 

"what is it?" 

"I forgot to tell you something... I don't think Kai has told you yet.. But we're having a party this weekend. Our maknae came back so we're throwing him a welcoming party. 

"maknae?" 

"Oh I guess Kai didn't tell you much about him..He's the youngest in EXO.. And he's been studying overseas for a few years...It's been a while since we saw him.. He is rather close to Kai though. 

"Oh I see....I'll be there..." 

"That's great! See you then!  And good night!" 

"Goodnight oppa!" 

Honestly I never questioned much about Kai's friends. We respected each other and only told things when we want to. I know EXO. But I don't know they have how many of them exactly. I wonder who this maknae is. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Spoiler!! Haena is going to meet a dilemma soon. Hmm~~ Eottokhae~~