CHAPTER 21

Something Happend

 

I kept looking at the clock beside my bed, in a few minutes it would sound announcing the time to get up. It was my first day of work and for some reason I was nervous, didn’t know why.

I turned off the alarm just a minute left to ring. I pulled my blankets aside rising from my bed, out of my room I could hear the television on, surely my sister was watching the news and I could also hear kitchen utensils. My sister is making breakfast? I stand up completely curious. As I walked out of my room casually I stretch my arms.

Oh Soojung, you are awake.- I just nodded as I took my seat in the dining room, Jessie was with her usual pajamas, a plain white shirt, adding a sweater to clear this winter and exchanging shorts for some pants. In her hand she carried a spatula.

What are you doing?-

Pancakes with blueberries, your favorites.-

Really? And why is that, you hate blueberries. - She made a rare grin, proceeded to flip the pancake that was in the pan.

I still do that’s why I did some asides for me. – She said showing me a plate ready to eat.

Today is your first day of work, you should start with the right foot and what is better than started with your favorite breakfast. -  She finished cooking, she took both plates leading them to the table, putting mine in front of me.

Everything in order, let’s eat shall we?- I wasted no time in tasting it, the moment I laid the delicate and soft pancake in my mouth it made me feel like I was in heaven for a moment.

This delicious Jessie! Thank you.-

No problem, now finish your breakfast and get ready, you should not be late the first day. – I looked at the clock on the wall, it was still an hour for me to go to my work.-

Jessie what are we going to do at Christmas - She looked at me puzzled.

I do not know, Yuri always makes feast at that time, maybe we can go this year. - I just nodded. Usually by this time, the family dinner was mandatory, my grandmother left behind her image as investor and she stayed at home cooking with my mother, my grandfather and my father, well they did their things, Jessie and I always helped to decorate the tree, but this year will be different. I looked around the apartment remembering something.

What are you looking for? -

Jessie we don’t have a Christmas tree- She stopped eating for a while, she looked surprised.

I assumed you didn’t want a tree this year. - She looked down speaking in a low voice.

That's no excuse, it will be Christmas in a few days, we need a Christmas tree for sure.-

Alright, I'll go look for one, what do you think? - I nodded enthusiastically, I finished my last bite, I gave my thanks to my sister again, I looked at the clock, missing 45 minutes for my work, with an accelerated heart I went to change for me new job.

 

 

I step out the bus heading to the library, at far I could see my sister’s coffee shop, maybe I could go there later. I opened the door, I bell was heard through the place, some costumes looked at me others just mind their own business. This place was tricky, because the outside looks like a normal library, but once you walked, you realized how big it was inside, not only it was a place to find and buy books but also you could stay reading something without necessary buy.

Oh Krystal, hello. - I saw the guy, which I forget his name, greeting me from the counter, I walked to him.

Hello...- I saw him smiling

Kai, everyone calls me Kai.-

Alright, Kai it is then.-

Ready for your first day? - I nodded enthusiastically, he handled me my uniform which was just a simple green apron. He told me everything needed to get started. For being new I was in charge to put back the books, he also told me that every week an inventory was needed and for my bad luck that day of the week was today, I chuckled a bit seeing him all relief to no be him who would do that.

The inventory could be due later, now why don’t you put this back. - He gave a pile of books.

Great. - I said grabbing about 7 books to start.

 

 

The time went flying, even when it seems this job could be a little boring, the true is it wasn’t at all.

Maybe I needed this quite place in my noisy life. - I said aloud, I heard someone giggling behind me.

So what kind of noisy life could have a teen is her twenty’s? - I saw a smiling brunette girl with a cooking book at her hands.

You don’t know me. - I said a little too defensive, she nodded, still with that cocky smile in her face.

I see, well I apologized then. - She said a little too serious but she smiled once again.

Who are you? - I was a little annoyed by this girl, she seems too noticed but she didn’t drop that smile.

Sorry I couldn’t introduce myself the other day, I’m Victoria, the owner of this place. - She extended her hands to me, I didn’t need a mirror to know how shocking I was.

Oh my, I was rude, I’m really sorry, I’m Krystal Jung. - I said shaking her hand.

Don’t worry, I think I was the culprit here, anyway Krystal I hope you can enjoy working here.-

I’m, for sure. - I said smiling her, she grinned.

That’s good then, well see you around. - She turned back walking to where Kai was. I couldn’t help but keep staring her until she disappear. I didn’t know why.

 

 

"A new tree? When I thought that I should not worry about it," I sighed looking at the streets of the city. Soojung had already left about 10 minutes ago. For some reason she reject my offer to take her, despite that library was near of my coffee shop.

The traffic lights changed to red, I looked out my window, in the distance I saw man dressed as Santa giving some candies at the happy children who were around.

The characteristic sound of my cell phone caught my attention, I immediately got the headphone.

Hey there- I said already grinning knowing it was Tiffany at the phone.

Hello dear, Good morning.-

Good morning beautiful, you're heading to work? –

Mmm yeah, but you know that work is always with me.-

God your work is so weird. - I could heard her laughter through my headphones, I started the car seeing the light change.

I just called to tell you that I cannot go to lunch, my boss complains that I don’t  spend time in the office, I think she’s starting to suspect that  I'm seeing someone.-

You haven’t tell her? -

No, I'll do it soon, I promise, anyway have a nice day sweetie, I love you.-

I love you more. - She hung up after, it didn’t take long for me to arrive to my work. I parked in my usual spot. At the entrance I saw Taeyeon cleaning the glass door.

Taeyeon? When you came back - she was surprised to hear me, she smiling at me once she calmed down.

Jessica I came last night.-

That’s good, how is your family? -

They are ok, my father is stable now, he’s resting at the house, thanks for let me stay with them.-

Not mention it, family is first, I understand.-

Yes, so what I had missing this day?- 

Not much really but you missed the day I introduced my girlfriend.-

Damn, oh well I guess I will have to wait, even when I already know her. - I looked at her confused, she smiled.

I served her when she came to eat here. - I sighed for no reason, she laughed before going inside.

I heard Yuri got a chick, is that right? - She said as she was putting her apron and grabbing her hair making her characteristic ponytail.

I don’t really know, I haven’t talked to her, but you know she always have a chick. - I said winking at her, she laughed one more time.

Alright, I will go to the office, if you need something you know where to find me. - I said grabbing some bread I saw at the counter, Taeyeon nodded taking her note ready to do her job.

 

I closed the door automatically as I was reading some notes that Sunny handled me, I didn’t notice someone was inside.

It’s seen everything went well with you after all. - I dropped my stuff hearing a second voice in the room, I froze seeing who was.

D-Dad? - The man stood up, picking up my stuff, he smiled at me like he used to do.

Here you go. - He giving me back my notes, he took sit at the chair where he was before.

What are you doing here? - I said composing myself, I went to the other side of my desk, I looked at him carefully. He was using at suit like always, he looked tired, older than the last time I saw him. It was very rare the occasions where I used to see him. He never was at home, even when I was a child he wasn’t near to us, he always was busy with his company.

I think you know why I’m here, a lot has happens in some few days, don’t you think? - I sighed one more time knowing where this conversation was heading.

Dad, already told everything to mom and I’m pretty sure she told you, so if you are here to tell me to change my mind you are wasting your time and my time.- He didn’t say anything nor move at all, he just stood there looking at me like if he wanted to see something. Then he just smiled.

I see, I can’t change your mind, don’t worry I think you heard enough.-

Good, I’m glad to hear that. - He was about to get up but stopped.

There is something though I wanted to hear from you. - I stared him shivering when I heard his serious tone.

What is it?-

It’s true that you are in a relationship? With a girl? - I sighed, I was sad that he was asking me that in such a depress tone.

Yes dad, I’m with a girl which I’m very in love. –

Alright. I’m leaving then. - This time he stood up walking to the door, His hand was on the doorknob when he spoke.

I’m very disappointed at you Sooyeon, I thought I could lean on you but it’s seem you and your sister are very ungrateful to this family.

That’s not true dad, I could be anything you want but not ungrateful, I will always be grateful for everything you and my mom gave me.-

It’s not necessary to tell you that you are not part of this family anymore. Moreover you can come if you change your mind.-

You can leave dad, I don’t need this kind of family with me.-

Fine, live without family then.-

I heard the door close, I didn’t notice I was crying until I couldn’t see anything due to the blurriness caused by my tears. Just when everything was fine now, I lose my dad and I couldn’t do anything to change that. How can he do that to his own daughter? My family was blinded and could not feel anything but sorry to them.

I guess is me and Krystal. - I said wiping my tears, I opened the drawer from my desk looking for a napkin when I saw photo in there, and I took it smiling what I saw.

It was a photo from my last trip with my friends, we went to the beach to celebrate Sunny’s birthday. There was Taeyeon, Hyoyeon, Yuri, Sunny and me smiling with the ocean behind us. 

He was wrong, I have a better family with me. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sorry for the wait >//<