7.

College Experiences

A month into their friendship Kyuhyun declared that Ryeowook was officially in the 'initiation period' of his application for best friend status, which Ryeowook found absolutely ridiculous considering 1. they had already established that they were friends, and 2. there was nothing to actually initiate him into.

He told the other boy as much, but the eager grin Ryeowook got as a response had him wilting, until he finally sagged in defeat on the couch, letting Kyuhyun drag him into his hair brained plans.

“So my 'test' is to help you terrorise Yesung?”

Kyuhyun frowned. “Not terrorise Wook, its merely a friendly prank or two.”

“He's probably going to trip and hurt himself without our help...” Ryeowook added nervously, souring at the idea. Kyuhyun sighed, holding the smallers shoulders lightly as he leant down to look in his eyes.

“Here's the deal: I promise that if anything gets too extreme you can just back out and call it a day. C'mon Wook, you're eighteen and living away from home for the first time! Why not have some silly fun.”

Ryeowook met the others eyes, hope shining through as he looked down at him. He sighed in defeat, Kyuhyun's grin widening as Ryeowook shook his hands off of him.

“Fine, when do we start?”

“Tomorrow at 0800 cadet!” Kyuhyun mock saluted.

Ryeowook snorted. “You? Awake at eight? On a weekend?”

“Just meet me for breakfast you meanie.”

 

---

 

“So what stupid ideas do you have in mind?” Ryeowook asked the next morning, groaning into his tea at the long list Kyuhyun pulled out of his bag.

“I've got some ideas that we could easily pull off until you are totally on board – stop making that face! Nothing too bad is going to happen to him.” Kyuhyun replied, eager tone to his voice doing nothing to convince the other.

The first plan was deceptively simple, they would change the sound Yesung's computer made every time he got an email to something super annoying, and then send him a bunch of emails to annoy him throughout the day. Ryeowook found himself agreeing to go along with the idea, deciding it was better to keep track of whatever Kyuhyun planned on doing compared to leaving him alone.

Ryeowook's first task was to distract the older boy, an easy task with Yesung eagerly accepting the youngers offer to go with him to pick up the take out he had ordered for the building. When they'd returned, boxes of pizza stacked in their arms Kyuhyun nodded covertly to him, signifying the prank was finally under way.

 

 

When Ryeowook came home from classes the next afternoon he found Yesung laying awkwardly face first on the couch in the common room.

“Yesung... are you okay?”

Before Yesung could reply a loud horn sounded off from his laptop, the elder groaning loudly as he pushed himself upright.

“Its been doing that all day and I don't know how to stop it!!” the older whined, nearly growling as another email suddenly came through.

Ryeowook couldn't help the amused chuckle that escaped at Yesung's ridiculous pout, reaching out to pat the others shoulder lightly.

“At least you're never going to miss an email?” Ryeowook replied, Yesung just letting out a pained whine as another horn blasted through the room.

 

---

 

“These are... ridiculously creepy.” Ryeowook mumbled, not breaking eye contact from the garden gnome that sat on the table in front of him.

“How dare you insult George! He's full of beauty and charm!” Kyuhyun retorted, laughing at the grimace that adorned the others face.

“George? You gave this thing a name?”

“Kim Ryeowook!!” Kyuhyun gasped, moving quickly to cover the gnomes ears. “How can you say something so rude when he is standing right in front of you!”

“I hate you.” Ryeowook dead panned, pushing the other away from the statue so he could turn it away from him. “So your plan is to basically drive Yesung insane?”

“That's an extreme way to put it – I like to think I'm just giving him a new friend in George and his many clones.” Kyuhyun smiled, gesturing sweetly to the pile of gnomes behind him.

Ryeowook just glared at the other boy. “As long as none of these freaks end up in my room you're safe Cho...”

 

 

Together they put the army of gnomes all over the place, from random hiding spots in the RA's bedroom to the corner of one of his classrooms. They were everywhere, the rest of the dorm building more amused than anything each time Yesung stormed through the halls, gnome in hand and muttering about how the cursed things were following him.

It got to the point where Yesung was constantly looking around every corner, hunting for the small statues and the person responsible for their appearance.

“Yesung, do you think you could grab me a drink while you're up?” Ryeowook asked from his seat on the couch, laptop on his lap as he tried to complete a thesis for class. He watched as the older nodded, calmly making his way to the kitchen area before doing a sweet of the area, Ryeowook smiling as the elder nodded happily to himself in confirmation that the coast was clear.

Ryeowook returned his gaze to his computer, trying to hold in his laughter when Yesung finally opened the fridge.

“I DON'T WANT YOU GEORGE!” the boy screamed, Ryeowook nearly crying as Yesung glared hatefully into the fridge.

 

---

 

After the success of the first two pranks Kyuhyun decided that they needed to step up their efforts, moving forward with a more elaborate plan. He cornered Ryeowook as the smaller boy entered the dorms that night after theatre, eyes twinkling with mischief.

“I have a job for you!”

“Of course you do...” Ryeowook sighed, letting Kyuhyun follow behind him as he headed up to his room. Kyuhyun waited for him to open his door, all but shoving the shorter in before locking the door quickly behind them.

“So! I've managed to change the time on both Yesung's alarm clock and laptop so they're two hours ahead. I've got control of all of the common area clocks so all I need you to do is get a hold of his phone.”

Ryeowook blanched. “How on earth am I going to get a hold of his phone!?”

“He totally still trusts you!” Kyuhyun exclaimed, almost jumping in excitement. “Just go and ask him about that exchange program he was talking about the other day and when he leaves do your thing.”

Ryeowook just stared at the taller boy, unimpressed, before Kyuhyun let out a staged sigh.

“Fine, you leave me no choice...”

Instantly he had switched on his puppy dog eyes, Ryeowook whining as the taller looked down at him sadly.

“okay OKAY I’ll do it just stop!”

“Excellent!” Kyuhyun immediately brightened, smiling happily as he shoved him out the door.

 

 

Ryeowook made his way slowly to the elders room, taking a deep breath before he knocked lightly. Almost immediately the door opened, Yesung smiling happily down at him.

“Ryeowook! Something I can help you with?” the other smiled, wave of guilt crashing through Ryeowook.

“I-I was interested in learning more about that exchange program you were talking about the other day?”

“Really? That's awesome! I'll grab you some of the booklets I left down in the common area and we can talk about it.” he grinned, pushing Ryeowook into his room before taking off down the hall.

As he disappeared around the corner Ryeowook turned, rushing to the phone that was sitting on Yesung's bedside table.

“If this doesn't work I'm going to kill that idiot of a friend myself...” Ryeowook mumbled, furiously tapping through the screens to move the time ahead. He'd just locked the screen, gently returning the phone back to the table when a loud voice rang out from behind him,

“What are you looking at?” Yesung asked curiously, looking up from the papers he was reading over.

“Uhh... I d-didn't know you wrote m-music!” Ryeowook stuttered, gesturing quickly to the sheets of music paper that were scattered across the desk. Yesung brightened even more, motioning for Ryeowook to sit beside him on the bed with a grin.

“We'll have to try and write together sometime if you're that interested.” he laughed, handing over the packet happily.

 

 

“I heard from Eunhyuk that Sung thought he was late to class so he basically burst into the room and scared the assistant in there grading papers so badly she cried.” Donghae laughed, chewing happily on his fries as he and Ryeowook shared their lunch break.

Ryeowook winced, imagining the poor girls expression at having a panicked Yesung come barrelling into the room so early in the morning... he'd have to buy her a box of chocolates or something as an apology.