3.

College Experiences

Late into the afternoon, sun shining and warm breeze blowing in from the open window Ryeowook had locked himself in his dorm room all day, nose deep in a thick text book in a desperate attempt to focus on his studies. The study session in question should have been going wonderfully, if it wasn't for the constant distractions that made up his dorm building.

With a good majority of classes down for the day the building was full of its residents, loud continuous banging and yelling coming from both outside his door in the hallway and the floors below and above him. So far Ryeowook had managed to successfully block out most of the noise, barely keeping himself focused in an attempt to not let any distractions get in the way of his school work.

It wasn't until the violin suddenly started up somewhere down the hall, screeching loudly, that Ryeowook finally gave up on his room, slamming his book shut and gathering his things to head out the door in the hopes of finding somewhere more peaceful to get his work done.

He walked quickly across the campus to where the large library sat, immediately heading for the old booking computer. He sighed in relief when he managed to find one room still open for the afternoon, booking it for the next couple of hours before he headed off to find it.

It was easy enough to locate, small room tucked into the back corner behind the tall rows of bookshelves. Apart from the two single tables and a handful of random chairs around the place the room was completely empty, large picture windows looking out onto the quad just below him, afternoon sunlight streaming in and bathing the room in the warm glow. Ryeowook felt like he was in heaven as he sighed contently, soaking in the calming aura and welcomed quietness as he settled in.

After he managed to get more than a good bulk of his work for the week done in peace Ryeowook went and made sure to book the same room regularly, spending a good number of his Wednesday afternoons after class finishing his work and assignments in silence, far away from the mayhem that seemed to always greet him back at the dorms.

 

---

 

A month into his regular study plans, nose buried in his music history textbook, a sudden knock came from the door, Ryeowook looking up curiously just as the glass door opened.

“...Kyuhyun?”

“So you're the one whose been booking my favourite study room every week before I've been able to get to the booking system! You've been one step ahead of me for far too long!” Kyuhyun stated, teasing glint in his eyes as Ryeowook fumbled in his seat.

“U-U-Uhhh I'm r-really sorry K-Kyuhyun, I had no i-idea tha--”

“Woah calm down Ryeowook, I swear I'm just messing with you please don't worry about it!” the taller boy interrupted, slightly panicked as Ryeowook fidgeted nervously.

“Oh.” Ryeowook mumbled, face a bright red as he looked up at the other, awkward smile on his face. “D-Did you want to share the room with me then?”

“I was hoping you'd say that.” Kyuhyun smiled, shutting the door behind him as he pulled up a chair to the empty desk across from Ryeowook.

They sat in silence for awhile, Ryeowook finding himself slightly distracted by the cheerfully pleasant atmosphere of the boy across from him while Kyuhyun happily worked on his work before he let out a long groan, stretching his arms above his head.

“Man this stupid finance subject , I'm starting to totally regret having to do this course as my elective instead of doing something relaxing and easy.”

“I don't think I'd ever want to be stuck doing something like math or business.” Ryeowook replied, scrunching his nose in distaste at the mere thought of having to deal with anything above simple addition.

“You're the smarter one of the both of us then – what's your elective?” the taller boy chuckled, Ryeowook blushing slightly.

“I take drama”

“What, with like, the theatre club and everything!?” Kyuhyun gaped.

“Yeah, I've always been interested in performing in musicals and stuff.” Ryeowook replied, before he looked at the other boy sharply. “Why do you sound so surprised!?”

“I never would've expected it from someone as quiet as you... I really want to see you in a performance now.” Kyuhyun laughed, smile widening as Ryeowook pouted at him.

“But!” Ryeowook blurted, trying to desperately change the topic. “If you don't like finance so much, why are you bothering to take it?”

“Nice diversion” Kyuhyun smirked, chuckling lightly at the others antics. “It's complicated - I've always wanted to study music after high school you know? Singing has always been something I'm super passionate about but Father has always been more... business minded. The only way I was able to convince him to go near any sort of music in college was to take as many business electives I can on the side in case I'm needed to 'take over the family business'.” he sighed before shrugging. “But at least I'm where I want to be, I'll take a couple of stupid electives if it means staying here. What about you?”

“Oh... I don't know, my mum used to say that I knew how to sing before I even knew how to talk.” Ryeowook chuckled, happy smile spread across his face. “Music has always been my passion and mum and dad were more than happy for me to try and pursue my dream. They were more worried about me being so far away from home – being an only child meant they were always a little too protective.”

“Your mum sounds lovely.” Kyuhyun smiled. “I have an older sister but she moved to Europe years ago for a fashion career in Paris. It's pretty awesome, and it means my family have always been pretty chill about me going away...”

The pair continued to chat, work long forgotten on their tables as the sun began to set, light slowly disappearing from the room. Looking outside at the darkening skyline Kyuhyun gasped, startling Ryeowook.

“Oh my god what time is it!? Sorry for distracting you from your work so much! I may be an amazing group project partner but turns out I may not be the best study partner...” the taller boy muttered apologetically. “How about dinner from the food hall on me as an apology?”

“Wow how generous!” Ryeowook drawled. “I hope you're ready to buy at least ten 2 dollar fruit cups because I expect nothing but the best!”

Kyuhyun laughed loudly, doubling over to lean on his now empty seat. “I'm taking that as a yes then my liege.” he replied, bowing dramatically as he gestured for Ryeowook to leave the study room, the smaller boy trying to hold in his giggles as they walked through the silent library, before finally having them bubble out while they walked down the steps outside.

“We should probably drop our stuff off at our dorms first, which building are you in?” Kyuhyun inquired, guiding the shorter through the near-empty quad.

“The Atkins building.”

“Of course you are.” Kyuhyun snorted, Ryeowook looking over at him confused. “I live in Atkins as well, on floor three.”

“I'm on floor two.” Ryeowook replied, bewildered, Kyuhyun letting out a loud bark of laughter.

The walk across the rest of the campus was pleasant, light conversation flowing between them, Kyuhyun in particular rambling as Ryeowook listened on attentively, the smaller boy replying when needed. When the pair reached the housing building Kyuhyun basically dropped off Ryeowook outside his door, bright grin on his face.

“Give me like three minutes to drop off my books, then we'll go get you your mountain of fruit cups!” he cheered, taking off down the hall with a wave as Ryeowook chuckled.

Ryeowook was more than fine with that, looking forward to not only his free fruit cups, but getting to know the remarkable boy even better.