25.

College Experiences

a very kyuwook christmas, part one.

 

After sitting through nearly an hour of sibling teasing (which left Ryeowook blushing half of the time and giggling the other) Ahra pulled off into a small neighbourhood, minutes later turning into the driveway of a quaint two story house. Together the group got out of the car, Kyuhyun once again moving to grab both of their bags while Ahra linked arms with Ryeowook, pulling him towards the house.

“Thanks for helping me!!” Kyuhyun shouted, Ahra not looking back as she replied.

“No problem!” she called before turning to Ryeowook with an excited grin. “This is so exciting! Our parents are dying to meet you, mum has been cleaning like crazy aaaaaall week in preparation for having you over.”

“Can we not scare him with the parent talk two seconds before we go inside?” Kyuhyun huffed, dragging their bags after him.

“Excuse me human bag holder but I don't remember asking your opinion. I'm just making conversation.” she replied, Ryeowook giggling at the childish mimic Kyuhyun ended up replying with.

Walking into the house it was as homely as it looked on the outside, full of warm colours and wear that screamed of a well-loved family home. Shrugging off his jacket, and helping a slightly embarrassed Kyuhyun out of his, he watched Kyuhyun then trudge forward to the staircase, dropping their bags with a thud.

“Mum we're home!!!” he yelled, the trio hearing a womans voice call out to them from deeper within the house.

Slowly Ryeowook followed Ahra through the entryway, past the lounge and array of family photos spread across the walls before they entered the kitchen, small woman already pulling a whining Kyuhyun into a hug.

“Oh be quiet you, I haven't seen you in months!” she chided playfully, Kyuhyun giving her a warm hug before they pulled apart, her attention drifting over to Ryeowook.

“Ryeowook I assume? It's so nice to finally meet you!” she exclaimed, quickly moving across the room to wrap him into a tight hug.

“Thank you for letting me stay over.” he replied with a smile, the older woman immediately waving him off.

“Nonsense its no trouble! Hyunnie has been so excited to have you over, hes been talking about it nonstop for a week at least.”

“Muuuum!” Kyuhyun whined once more, cheeks flaming as Ryeowook grinned over at him. “Why are you all out to embarrass me?”

“Its the family business.” Ahra shrugged with a smirk. “Look at how red he is!”

“Shuttup I hate you.” he grumbled, both women cooing as Ryeowook patted his arm affectionately in sympathy, Ryeowooks own cheeks turning a light pink. “...did you get the spare pillows and stuff out?”

Kyuhyuns mum nodded. “They're already up in your room.”

“Great! I'll go show Wook around then.” Kyuhyun answered, tugging Ryeowook out of the room as Ahra laughed after him.

“Let me know if either of you need anything sweetie!”

“Got it Mum!!!” Kyuhyun called, grabbing their bags from the bottom of the stairs and leading Ryeowook up to his room.

“My humble abode~” Kyuhyun introduced with a flourish, Ryeowook looking around with a grin as his boyfriend flopped onto his bed. The room was covered in stacks of cds and comics, posters of the steel samurai and various pop singers lining the walls.

“Its very you.”

“Funny about that – come sit.” Kyuhyun replied with a grin, gesturing for Ryeowook to join him on the bed.

“So, your mum and sister are both really nice.” Ryeowook said as he laid down on the bed beside him, Kyuhyun snorting loudly.

“Well, half of that sentence is correct...”

“Ahra is nice!”

“Thats just what she wants you to believe, she's pure evil trust me.”

“Like brother, like sister I guess.” Ryeowook teased, laughing as Kyuhyun hit him in the face with his pillow.

When Ryeowook stopped laughing he realised Kyuhyun was leaning just over him, smiling softly down at his boyfriend. With a smirk Kyuhyun slowly leant down to kiss him, lips barely apart when they heard the slight sound of a door opening downstairs, Ahras loud voice calling for them to come back down.

“Fathers home I guess...c'mon!” Kyuhyun sighed, pulling Ryeowook up off the bed with him and heading back downstairs. Ryeowook was nervous, knowing very little about the man except for his job as his particular desires of Kyuhyuns studies, watching quietly from behind as the gruff looking man pulled Kyuhyun into a light hug.

“Father, this is Ryeowook.” Kyuhyun introduced, Ryeowook holding his hand out with a polite smile. His father quickly took his hand in his own, smiling brightly as he introduced himself.

“It's wonderful to finally meet you Ryeowook, I've heard so much about you.” he said, Ryeowook smiling back at him as he went further into the house, loudly greeting the rest of his family.

“You okay?” Kyuhyun asked.

“Yeah, of course.” Ryeowook smiled, Kyuhyun pulling the smaller boy into an amused hug before they followed after his dad into the longue, joining the others.

 

---

 

“The two of you go have some fun and enjoy yourselves!”

Ryeowook nodded politely at the older woman, Kyuhyun pulling her into a light hug. “Don't wait up Ma!”

“Oh, I'm suuure you're going to be out all night living it up.” Ahra drawled, smirking from where she was leant against the staircase bannister behind them.

“Don't judge me for my partying ways.” Kyuhyun teased as he snatched the car keys out of her outstretched hand, Ahra sticking her tongue out childishly in response.

Kyuhyun ignored his sister, choosing instead to take Ryeowook's hand gently, leading the bundled up boy out of the house and into the chilly winter night, hurrying towards Ahra's car parked in the driveway. With a click Kyuhyun had the passenger door opened, gesturing for the smaller boy to get in with a flourish, Ryeowook eyeing him warily.

“What?”

“...You can drive?”

Kyuhyun gasped, dramatically clasping a hand to his chest against his heart. “I am offended that you doubt me so! I'll have you know I'm a marvellous driver!”

Ryeowook just raised an eyebrow, Kyuhyun starting to squirm under his gaze.

“Fine, I'm a pretty alright driver...just get in the car...”

With an amused smirk Ryeowook slid into the passenger seat, Kyuhyun hurrying around to get in his side to escape the winter chill. Heater blaring they backed out onto the road with relative ease, Kyuhyun shooting the other boy a triumphant grin.

“See? I can drive. I just want to buy a car for myself and currently I am still a poor college student trying to get by on my own.”

“I'll believe you when we get to wherever we're going in one piece.” Ryeowook replied.

“I'll try my best!” Kyuhyun laughed, focusing on the road ahead of them.

Fifteen minutes later they arrived at a small shopping district, shop windows lining the busy road. Pulling into a parking spot a block or so away Kyuhyun killed the cars engine, turning to Ryeowook with a delighted grin.

“...okay you can drive.” the smaller boy grumbled, ignoring the loud laugh that came from his boyfriend as he climbed out of the car. It didn't deter Kyuhyun, the taller boy quickly following after the other to entwine their hands together.

The walked down the busy street until Kyuhyun turned them down a side road, leading Ryeowook into a large Chinese restaurant. The place was obviously quite fancy, golden décor and warm ambiance reeking of wealth and sophistication. Ryeowook felt a little out of place as Kyuhyun confidently walked them straight towards the smiling server.

“Hi, we have a reservation under Cho Kyuhyun”

The woman smiled, bowing at them politely. “Of course, please follow me.”

She guided them to their tables, Ryeowooks eyes widening as she handed them their menus, everything completely in Chinese. When she was gone Kyuhyun turned to him, giving him a soft smile.

“You alright? I can help you order something if you wanted?”

Ryeowook sighed in relief. “Yes please. I can barely recognise any of the dishes on here.”

With a grateful smile Ryeowook just watched on as the girl returned to the table, Kyuhyun ordering for the both of them in fluent Chinese before she took their menus, leaving them to sit in silence together.

“This is a really nice place.” Ryeowook finally said, cringing at the slightly awkward atmosphere that had settled between them. Kyuhyun just smiled at him once more, taking a sip of his drink.

“My parents used to bring us here whenever we had a special occasion or if there was something to celebrate. The last time I ate here was when we found out I'd gotten into college.” he chuckled, Ryeowook smiling brightly across at him.

“Is that why you picked here to come eat?”

Kyuhyuns cheeks turned a bright pink, the taller boy choking slightly on his water. “W-Well, I did promise you a super romantic official date after our last one, and Donghae said it would mean more if I took you somewhere really special so...” he trailed off, Ryeowook smiling in amusement.

“You called Donghae for advice?”

“Texted, technically.”

Ryeowook let out a soft giggle, looking across at his boyfriend affectionately. “Not only is that adorable, but its incredibly romantic that you would choose somewhere so special to you.”

“You really think so?” Kyuhyun blushed, not even looking up as the servers brought them their food, Ryeowook giving them a polite nod of thanks.

“I know so – although I'll like you no matter what, so even if you think you should be ~romantic~ it doesn't mean you have go out of your comfort zone.”

Kyuhyun just sent him a grateful smile, Ryeowooks turn to blush as they tucked into their meals.

“Ohhh my god this is the best meal I've ever had in my life.” Ryeowook moaned, Kyuhyun laughing as he nodded in agreement.

Together they finished their meals in between comfortable chatter, splitting a dessert before they finally headed back out into the cold winter night, crunching through the snow back to where they parked.

When the doors unlocked Ryeowook threw himself back into the car, breathing a sigh of relief when the heater finally hit him. Suddenly there were cold fingers turning his chin to the side until Kyuhyun was able to connect their lips softly. It was a slow, gently kiss, unconscious smile spreading across Ryeowooks face as they broke apart.

“You really are one of a kind Wook – thanks for being so sweet even when I feel like I'm being an embarrassing idiot.”

Ryeowook just gave him a smile, moving forward to give the other boy another kiss in response.

 

---

 

Bright and early the next morning – which meant close to midday, which is totally early if you ask Kyuhyun – the pair taking the short walk to local mall. It was a small shopping complex, layout engraved in Kyuhyun's brain as he tried to lead Ryeowook directly where he wanted to go. Ryeowook however demanded that they take their time, making sue to check out each store in search of the 'perfect presents' for Kyuhyun's family.

“You're taking this way too seriously.” Kyuhyun snorted, allowing Ryeowook to pull him along to gaze into each store window. “First of all, my family isn't expecting anything from you—oww!”

Before Kyuhyun could finish Ryeowook had slapped him on the shoulder, angry glint in his eyes.

“So?!?! Of course I need to get them something – they're not only letting me stay over for the holiday but your entire family is lovely I need to get them something perfect!!”

“Which leads me to my second point, if you would refrain from hitting me again.” Kyuhyun pouted, Ryeowook eyeing him warily. “Anything you do get for my parents they're going to love no matter what.”

“Doesn't matter; it has to be perfect.” Ryeowook huffed, frowning at the silly smile that crossed Kyuhyuns face.

“You're cute.” Kyuhyun grinned, Ryeowook throwing his arms up in exasperation.

“You're useless!” Ryeowook sighed, Kyuhyun laughing as he trailed behind Ryeowook.

Together they combed through all the stores in the mall, Ryeowook eventually finding presents that he deemed acceptable for not only Kyuhyun's parents but his own. With a number of bags in his hands Ryeowook moved on to Ahra's present, Kyuhyun frowning at the idea.

“I think we should get her a bag of lemons or something because she's so sour half the time.” Kyuhyun chuckled, evil glint in his eye.

“We're not buying her lemons.” Ryeowook replied half heartedly, not even bothering to fully acknowledge the others ridiculous ideas at this point. “We passed a beauty store near the food court, I'll go get her some nice soaps or something.”

Kyuhyun grimaced. “That place is always filled with funny smelling candles that hurt my nose.”

“I'll go get her something then, you just hang around the stores nearby and I'll come find you when I'm done.”

“...You've always been my favourite.” Kyuhyun replied, Ryeowook chuckling as they reached the store front. Turning on his heel he leant up to press a quick kiss to Kyuhyun's lips, before pushing him away lightly.

“You're my favourite as well, now go have some fun while I get down to business.”

“Aye aye captain!”

It takes him a little while to find something he's sure Ahra will like, leaving the store with a large gift bag as he looked around the area for his missing boyfriend. He eventually spotted him a ways down the corridor, staring intently at the display window of some game shop.

Quietly he snuck up on the taller boy, barely holding in his giggles as he tapped him on the shoulder. Immediately Kyuhyun yelped, jumping out of his skin as he spun on his heel, rolling his eyes as Ryeowook burst into laughter.

“Jesus Wook you scared the hell outta me!”

“Sorry...couldn't resist.” Ryeowook managed to get out, Kyuhyun shoving him playfully in response.

“You done buying for the she-devil then?”

Ryeowook just shook his head. “Yes I got Ahra her present... what are you looking at?”

“Nothing!” Kyuhyun declared loudly, moving to block Ryeowook's curious gaze. When Ryeowook raised his eyebrow in confusion Kyuhyun's cheeks flushed a light pink, the taller boy grabbing Ryeowook's bag and stalking off towards the mall entrance.

With a shake of his head Ryeowook stepped forward to look closely at the display in the window, smiling at the statue that sat there before running to catch up to his idiot of a boyfriend.

 

---

 

When they were done shopping the pair started to make their way back, walking home along the snow covered pavement, hands clasped together on one side with their shopping bags in the other. Despite the chill of the winter day they basked in what little sunshine managed to break through the cloud cover until they finally reached Kyuhyun's house, the taller boy tugging Ryeowook quickly across the front lawn.

“Wha...the front door is over there?” Ryeowook asked, confused as the other boy creeped up to the house.

“Ahra will be expecting that!” Kyuhyun hissed, trying to peak in through the front window. “We need to get into the garage and hide this stuff before she knows we're home. C'mon, I'll lift you over the side fence.”

“This is ridiculous...” Ryeowook huffed, letting Kyuhyun take the bags from him, watching as the taller dropped them carefully over the fence. Once that was done he turned back to Ryeowook, clasping his hands together as an impromptu step. “You're really serious about this aren't you?”

“Yep!” he grinned, Ryeowook finally sighing in defeat. Gently he stepped into Kyuhyun's hands, using the fence as leverage he went up and over, landing shakily on the other side. Gathering their bags he heard a series bangs, frowning at the fence before Kyuhyun quickly popped up, tumbling awkwardly after him to land in a heap in the snow.

“Majestic. And you're the athletic one of this relationship.”

“It's a talent.” Kyuhyun heaved, reaching over with a sheepish smile to take some of the bags out of Ryeowook's hands.

The pair snuck over to the side door of the garage, quietly entering the dark room. Quickly Kyuhyun made a beeline for the back corner, pulling down an old suitcase from the top shelf.

“This should do, I'm the only one tall enough to reach it anyway so it should be Ahra-proof.”

“She can't possibly be that bad.”

“Oh she is – if she manages to get you alone you cannot give in under any circumstances, she's broken people over the location of christmas presents before.”

Ryeowook just stared at his boyfriend, not a hint of a joke on his features. Eventually he gave the taller a small nod, the boy sighing in relief.

While Kyuhyun placed the suitcase back on top of the shelf Ryeowook walked across the garage to the inside door, moving to head inside. Trying to twist the knob he frowned, handle staying in place.

“Kyu the doors locked.” he called, Kyuhyun walking up beside him.

“What? It's never locked.” the taller frowned, moving to try the door himself. “C'mon, we can go in through the backyard.”

Following Kyuhyun out they crunched through the snow to the back door, Ryeowook frowning as Kyuhyun struggled with the sliding door, it too locked tight.

“Wait...there's no cars here...” Ryeowook eventually pieced together, staring at the tallers back. “There is no one home is there? We've been sneaking around like idiots for nothing...”

“Uh, oops?” Kyuhyun chuckled awkwardly. “You can never be sure when it comes to Ahra! We totally made the right decis--”

Before Kyuhyun could finish his sentence, turning around to face the other he was met with a snowball sqaure in his face, spluttering as the cold snow seeped into his skin. Wiping his eyes he gaped at Ryeowook, the smaller boy snickering childishly from where he stood a few steps away.

“Oh its on.” Kyuhyun growled, leaning down to quickly make his own snowball, throwing it wildly in Ryeowook's direction as the other boy ran for the cover of the large oak tree in the yard.

Together they ran around around the backyard, screaming and laughing as they chased each other, Ryeowook at one point declaring outright war as snowballs flew. Ryeowook managed to get Kyuhyun in the face once more before Kyuhyun finally caught him, the smaller boy shrieking as arms wrapped around him, both of them falling to the ground.

Ryeowook's fall is cushioned by both the snow and Kyuhyun's arms around him, small boy erupting into amused giggles while Kyuhyun stared down at him affectionately.

“As the nation of Kyu, I have to ask you to surrender or else.”

“Or else what?” Ryeowook teased, watching as the tallers by gazed moved to his lips.

With a smirk Kyuhyun leant down, connecting their lips in a soft kiss. Almost immediately Ryeowook lifted his arms to wrap them around the other boys neck, sinking slightly into the snow as he pulled the other boy closer, flushing as Kyuhyun deepened the kiss.

They continued to make out into the snow, Ryeowook lost completely in Kyuhyun as the taller tugged on his lips, hands sliding under Ryeowook's layers to press against his skin. An involuntary shiver wracked through Ryeowook as Kyuhyun's cold fingers trailed across his hips, massaging the warm skin along the band of his jeans. When Ryeowook shivered once more Kyuhyun finally broke the kiss, moving to press kisses along Ryeowook's jawline.

“We should probably go around front and get inside before we freeze to death.” He chuckled huskily, thumbs the smallers hips gently.

“Yeah...yeah we should.” Ryeowook replied, pulling away slightly to nod in agreement.

Kyuhyun nodded back, moving to get off Ryeowook before the smaller boy pulled him back down, reconnecting their lips with a smile.

 

---

 

It's not until the afternoon two days later that Ryeowook managed to shake the constant presence of Kyuhyun, heading back to the mall to help Ahra get groceries for christmas dinner, Kyuhyun stuck at home doing chores under the watchful eye of his mother.

(“I have you around for a reason, now get cleaning!” she demanded, Kyuhyun grumbling under his breath from where he was dusting in the living room.)

The trip to the grocery store was easy enough, conversation flowing between them as they got what they needed, Ahra leading Ryeowook and their trolley out with a grin.

“I'm starving, c'mon lets go get some late lunch before we head back!”

“Sure.” Ryeowook smiled, happy to follow along with whatever the older woman had planned for them. While Ryeowook pulled the trolley to one of the empty tables in the crowded hall Ahra disappeared to find them some food, returning a short time later carrying a tray with two steaming bowls.

“I hope you like noodles because I swear to you, this is the best place in town to get them.”

“I trust you!” Ryeowook laughed, taking his bowl with a quiet thank you.

The pair fell into a comfortable silence as they dug into their meals, Ahra eyeing the small boy carefully.

“So...how exactly did you meet Hyun?” She asked, watching as Ryeowook flushed bright red.

“We...ah...we both screwed up the location of our first lecture and things just kinda spiralled out from there.”

“That is the most Hyun like scenario I have ever heard.” Ahra snorted.

“It really is, isn't it?” Ryeowook smiled, remembering the day they met.

Ahra smiled back at him, laughing quietly before her face became unusually serious, gaze hard a she stared at him.

“I don't know how much you know about Hyuns past, but he really hasn't had much experience when it comes to serious relationships...but he is head over heels for you, and if you're as serious about him as he is about you you need to take care of him, otherwise I'll have no choice but to kick your adorable .”

“I won't hurt him, he means too much to me.” Ryeowook whispered, flush returning to his chees as he gazed down at his bowl. It was the first time he had every really admitted to someone how deep his feelings were for the other boy, embarrassed as Ahra smiled warmly at him.

“That's good to hear, I figured you felt as much.” She replied, before a sudden smirk crossed her face, looking way to much like Kyuhyun when he was up to no good. “Now we've been all serious we have to become even close just to annoy Hyunnie!” she declased, Ryeowook laughing.

“He's already scared of me talking to you alone.”

“Excellent!” She grinned. “Another weakness I can happily exploit, lets head home best friend!”

They stood up, pushing the trolley around the tables towards the exit when Ryeowook caught sight of a familiar store.

“Ahra wait! I need to stop at one more store.”

The woman shrugged. “Kay, the longer we're out the more we avoid chores so I'm down.”

He lead her over to the game shop, leaving her with the trolley as he ducked inside, returning a few minutes later with a large box tucked under his arm.

“I caught Kyu staring at this the other day, so I figured it would make the perfect christmas present for him.”

“He's probably going to cry, he has always been a sap when it comes to that cartoon.” she added, nodding in agreement.

“You're officially sworn to secrecy though!”

Ahra made a zipping motion, pushing the trolley towards the exit. “My lips are totally sealed.”

When they finally returned to the house they had fallen back into happy chatter, laughing happily as they carried the groceries into the kitchen. Kyuhyun just glared at them from where he stood in the lounge, vacuuming the floor aggressively.

“Stop hanging out with my boyfriend, you're going to corrupt him.”

“Aww, upset we're friends now Hyunnie? Afraid I'll show him all those embarrassing middle school photos?”

With a loud whine Kyuhyun was across the room, chasing the older woman as Ryeowok watched from the couch, shaking his head as he got up and picked up the dropped vacuum.

Someone had to help out around here.