20.

College Experiences

“Why is there always a line when I need something...” Sungmin whined, glaring at the row of people that were stood in front of them at the food hall. “We're going to be late if we don't start moving forward soon!”

“We could always just come back after theatre and grab something...” Ryeowook shrugged, not phased by the gasp of outrage that came from the older.

“You know I can't survive without some sort of chocolatey goodness! I don't see you complaining with your strawberry cupcake every week.”

“The are cheap and delicious!!” Ryeowook retorted loudly, the pair breaking into giggles as the line shuffled forward a few paces. “Maybe if we get Heechul something he won't be as upset when we sneak in late.”

“Please, I'm the Vice President and you're his favourite; there is absolutely no chance of either of us sneaking in, we just have to accept our death in the name of delicious treats.” Sungmin replied, nodding his head confidently.

Ryeowook frowned. “Okay, you may have a point.”

It was a ritual for the pair, meeting up after their final classes of the day to fill up on snacks before they would head down to the theatre together. It was one of the few chances the pair got to hang out together outside of club activities, two year age difference between them meaning they didn't have any core classes together.

“You know we should probably pick an intro to language elective or something dumb to take together next year so we don't have to risk our lives in this line every Tuesday to hang out.” Sungmin continued, deep in thought. “Maybe Japanese?”

“But you already know Japanese!”

Sungmin shrugged. “So?”

“So its totally not fair! How about Chinese instead?” Ryeowook asked.

Sungmin pouted at the other boy. “Chinese is so hard though...”

“It really isn't – once you get the main sounds down its a breeze.” A third voice interrupted, the pair turning to find Kyuhyun just walking up to them. Ryeowook gave the taller boy a happy little wave, Kyuhyun smiling back at him as Sungmin frowned.

“It is! It's like my brain and mouth can't comprehend what the hell I'm supposed to be saying when I try!” the older grumbled, Ryeowook ignoring his protests as he focused on the taller boy.

“You know Chinese Kyu?”

Kyuhyun shrugged. “Father made me and my sister learn a language when we were younger and since his company does a lot of business in China it was the obvious answer to him.”

“Oh, that's pretty cool.” Ryeowook replied, Sungmin rolling his eyes at the interest growing in Ryeowook's voice.

“Stop trying to talk him out of doing Japanese with me!!” Sungmin protested. “What are you even doing here anyway shouldn't you be waiting at the back of the line!?”

Kyuhyun's smug grin turned sheepish, looking down at the pair hopefully. “Aaah see, I need to get to a meeting with Professor Jung but I haven't had anything to eat today... so I was maybe kinda hoping you'd let me join you in line?

Sungmin snorted, ready to turn down the snarky boy but Ryeowook spoke up before him, smiling at the other boy sweetly.

“Sure!”

Kyuhyun sent the eldest a triumphant grin, pushing the grumbling Sungmin out of the way so he could stand happily beside Ryeowook.

“You're such a pushover for your boyfriend Wookie.”

In an instant Kyuhyun's grin was gone, boy spluttering awkwardly as his face turned beet red. Sungmin was doing everything in his power to hold in his laughter, Kyuhyun flailing wildly as he denied the accusation.

“At least I have someone who cares.” Ryeowook retorted, eyes twinkling mischievously while Kyuhyun whirled around to face him, gobsmacked.

“Ouch, that one hurt me right in my cold dead heart.” Sungmin drawled, pearls of laughter quickly breaking through his facade.

“Wha...I...What the hell just happened?” Kyuhyun hesitantly asked, staring as the two boys beside him both burst into laughter.

“Just having a bit of fun with my bestie Cho no big deal.”

Kyuhyun glared angrily at the elder. “I'm his best friend.”

“You sure? With the amount of time you spend together you're basically married – you probably have the position of husband instead.” Sungmin teased, Kyuhyun's blush returning full force.

“Give it a rest Min, or should I start saying you're married to Heechul because you guys hang out so much?” Ryeowook interrupted, Sungmin grimacing.

“Please do not give Chul any ideas, you know for a fact he'll start calling me something stupid like hubby just to torment me.”

Ryeowook chuckled, looking over to smile at Kyuhyun when he noticed the faint pink still dusting his cheeks, frowning slightly.

“Kyu, are you not feeling well or something? You're really flushed...” He reached up to place the back of his hand against Kyuhyun's forehead, high pitched squeak coming from the taller as Ryeowook stared at him intently.

“Oh. My God.” Sungmin cackled, Kyuhyun glaring at him as he frantically pushed Ryeowook's hand away.

“Its nothing I'm absolutely fine don't worry! Oh look the lines moved forward lets go get something to eat.” he stammered, quickly walking ahead of them.

“Why are you laughing? What did I do?” Ryeowook questioned, Sungmin's laughter only increasing as he pushed the smaller boy forward.

“God you're so adorably dumb sometimes it hurts.”

They followed behind Kyuhyun who was quickly moving in front of the row of food, Ryeowook helping Sungmin pick out a bunch of chocolate desserts before going to find one of his precious cupcakes.

“Wha...Where'd they go!?” he exclaimed, frowning at the cabinet that was now completely empty of strawberry cupcakes.

“You can have some of my brownies instead?” Sungmin offered, Ryeowook shaking his head as they continued along to pay for the snacks.

“Naah its okay. I could've sworn there was at least a couple left when we came in though...”

Moving back out to the main part of the hall he heard the other choke, turning back to look at the laughing boy.

“What?”

“That's cause there were some.” he answered through bites, gesturing with a nod over Ryeowook's shoulder.

Quickly Ryeowook turned, immediately spotting Kyuhyun where he stood just a few feet away, strawberry cupcake resting in his hand.

“...if Heechul asks why I'm late its because I had to kick the of someone who cut in line and then stole my cupcake.” Ryeowook growled, Sungmin grinning as he took off towards the taller, Kyuhyun looking at him alarmed before he bolted as the other stalked after him angrily.

 

---

 

What did I even do I don't understand!?!?”

“YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID YOU CUPCAKE THIEF!!!!!!!!”