2.

College Experiences

After the mishap that ended with him missing the very first lecture of the year, Ryeowook went out of his way to make sure that when the next week rolled around he knew where the actual lecture hall was – it turned out it was in the smaller music theatre, only a floor away from where he'd been originally.

Just in case he'd arrived fifteen minutes early, room location scrawled across the palm of his hand in confirmation, pure relief flooding through him when he arrived to find the hall half-filled with students, low murmur of chatter surrounding him.

Moving through the hall he made his way to a seat towards the back, pleased he hadn't managed to screw up for a second time. With ten minutes left until the lecture was set to start Ryeowook decided to spend his time people watching, drawing scribbles in his open notebook as his focus slowly drifted elsewhere.

A shuffling beside him snapped Ryeowook back into focus, realising someone was settling into the seat beside him. He turned, ready to greet the person when Ryeowook froze, mouth falling open as he recognised the boy beside him, chocolate hair falling into his eyes with a wide grin on his face.

“Hey! We both managed to find our way properly this time – I've gotta say I was a little worried for you.”

Ryeowook cracked a nervous smile, fidgeting with the notebook in front of him. “I made sure to quadruple check this time.”

The boy let out a quiet bark of laughter, barely managing to whisper 'same' in response as the lecturer finally called the room to focus. Ryeowook's attention moved from the strange boy beside him, solely focused on taking down notes on anything he could've possibly missed until the lecture came to an end, the large group of students dismissed.

As Ryeowook packed up his belongings he felt the other boy watching him carefully, awkwardly shifting under his gaze. Looking up he found the taller boy once again smiling at him from where he leant against his chair, seemingly waiting for him.

“You heading upstairs?”

With a shy nod Ryeowook grabbed his bag, following slightly behind the brunette. They walked along in silence, heading down the corridor towards the wide staircase before the taller coughed, slowing slightly so his steps fell into sync with Ryeowook's.

“Not much of a talker are you?” he inquired, Ryeowook shaking his head as his face turned light pink.

“I'm kind of shy.” he mumbled, the brunette snorting ungracefully beside him.

“You don't say!” he teased, lazy grin once again plastered on his face. “I never got your name by the way, I'm Kyuhyun.”

“Ryeowook.”

“Well its nice to officially meet you after last week Ryeowook!” Kyuhyun cheered, large smile infectious as Ryeowook's own lips spread into a small smile. Making it up the staircase to the hallway of classrooms Kyuhyun gestured for Ryeowook to enter the open room before following him in. Realising the other was still behind him Ryeowook frowned, watching Kyuhyun once again settle into the seat beside him.

“You weren't in this class last week...?” Ryeowook questioned, confused.

“Aaahh” Kyuhyun replied, sheepish smile on his face as he rubbed his nape. “Turns out that you can manage to get your tutorial classroom wrong after already getting your lecture hall wrong.”

Ryeowook gaped at the boy. “You're unbelievable.”

Kyuhyun just smiled happily in response. “My friends tell me its actually quite an endearing quality to have.”

When the professor strode into the room, starting the class Ryeowook struggled to turn his attention away from the cheery boy beside him. He tuned in to hear the old man going over the first group assignment of the semester.

Hearing that it was a project to be completed with a partner Ryeowook frowned. He'd spent a good majority of his high school group projects stuck with completely useless partners , others often forcing him to do most of the workload on his own. He didn't really expect anything different now – his standard of work had always seemed to be higher than everyone else’s desire to just manage a pass.

He watched warily as the professor moved around the room assigning partners, waiting until he finally reached his row.

“Mr Kim... you can be partnered with Mr Cho here next to you. I expect excellent things from the both of you!” the old man chuckled, handing them their topic before he continued down the line. Turning to his new partner Ryeowook was unsurprised to find Kyuhyun grinning at him, assignment paper in hand.

“Hey at least you've spoken to me before, we can work through your shyness no problem!”

Ryeowook gave him a small smile as he reached over for the paper, quickly scanning the guidelines. “It looks like its quite a simple project, just make a composition piece based on specific music element of your choice...”

The pair dove into the project outline, Ryeowook surprised to learn that the boy beside him was not that bad when it came to music and composition, and despite his laid back persona was quite a serious worker.

By the end of class they had completed the rough structure of what they wanted to do, and as Kyuhyun left the classroom with a wave Ryeowook was stunned that he'd not only managed to get an amazingly competent project partner, but he may be actually staring to make one of his first friends on campus.