16.

College Experiences

Laundry day in the Atkins building was always a pain – the basement room was not only dark and cramped, but one of the many old machines always seemed to be out of order.

Ryeowook descended the stairs, empty basket under his arm as he entered the quiet room, walking over to the row of washing machines. Finding his load finally done he heaped the dripping clothes into his empty basket, hauling it over to the opposite wall of dryers.

He frowned, frustration bubbling up as he noticed at least three of the four machines were once again out of order, having no choice but to settle at the last working machine. Opening it his frown deep end, sighing heavily as he looked into it – inside sat a large pile of washing, long cold and completely dry. Ryeowook huffed, staring at the offending pile of clothes angrily; of course someone would be inconsiderate enough to leave their clothes unattended in the only working machine.

“Just my freaking luck.” he grumbled, feeling a headache coming on as he looked around the room, spotting an empty basket sat in the corner. “Well that's one way to solve the problem...” he sighed. Moving around the room Ryeowook gathered the dry clothes out of the machine, leaving it in a messy pile as he loaded his own damp clothes into the now empty machine. Once the machine was finally whirring loudly he looked down at the pile of random clothes, trying to decide what to do with it.

“I could leave you here for your owner,” Ryeowook mumbled, shaking his head as the throbbing headache increased. “But I've got some time to kill now so I'll do your owner a favour.” He picked up the basket, moving to place the pile on the long bench when a voice rang out from behind him, startling him from his thoughts.

“You okay there playing with my laundry?” Kyuhyun asked, frown clearly on his face as Ryeowook looked up at him unamused.

“Oh, so you're the one who decided to just leave their stuff in the one working machine!” Ryeowook exclaimed, facing the taller boy with his own unimpressed expression.

“Considering I'm down here to get said clothes from said dryer, maybe you could've been patient enough to just wait and it would've been out of your way anyway.”

“How would I know that you were on the way Kyuhyun!?” Ryeowook sighed, throwing his hands up in exasperation. “I was taking care of it for you anyway its not like I just threw all your clothes out.”

Kyuhyun narrowed his eyes. “If you want my clothes so bad you can have them then.” he replied curtly, Ryeowook watching as the other boy turned and stomped back up the stairs. He huffed, turning back to fold Kyuhyun's clothes angrily. As he folded he calmed considerably, starting to realise just how stupid their apparent fight had been, feeling increasingly guilty for taking his frustrations out on the other. It was up to him to make up for it, Ryeowook decided, nodding to himself as he went to work.

 

---

 

With a basket of neatly folded laundry under one arm and a plate of fresh brownies balanced on the other, Ryeowook's own clothes abandoned in a heap in his room, the nervous boy slowly made his way up the stairs heading towards the familiar room. He felt sick to his stomach with fear, nearly jumping out of his skin in fright when the door suddenly opened ahead of him. The plate wobbled dangerously, Donghae quickly jumping forward to help steady the startled boy.

“Wooah easy there Ryeowook!” he exclaimed, giving Ryeowook a pitying glace as Ryeowook attempted a smile. “Why don't you head on in, I was just going down to find something for lunch so you'll have plenty of time to talk to mr. grumpypants.” he joked, holding the door open for the younger boy with a gentle smile.

“Good luck!” he whispered, giving Ryeowook a thumbs up as he shut the door on the now terrified boy. Taking a deep breath Ryeowook focused on the other boy in the room, body hunched over the table with his nose in a book.

“K-Kyuhyun?” Ryeowook stuttered, putting the laundry basket on the bed before he slowly moved to stand beside the other, plate grasped tightly in his hands. He stood there silently waiting for the other to turn around but Kyuhyun refused to move, completely ignoring Ryeowook for the book in front of him.

“I-I just want to say that I'm s-sorry.” Ryeowook stuttered, fighting the hot tears that were starting to well up in his eyes the longer Kyuhyun ignored him. “I'll just leave t-these here for you i-if you want them, I won't bother y-you again...” he continued as he placed the brownies down beside the other boy, hands shaking.

“I really am sorry” Ryeowook mumbled once more, quickly turning on his heel and slipping back out of the room, closing the door with a soft click.

The tears he was holding back finally started to spill as Ryeowook frantically descended the stairs, small boy quietly cursing himself for being so stupid today. He'd just reached his floor when a slam came from the floor above, Ryeowook frowning as a loud thumping came from the stairs behind him. He turned, looking up bewilderedly when he was suddenly pulled into a tight embrace.

“I'm so sorry Wook.” Kyuhyun whispered gently into his ear, arms tightening as he spoke. “For everything – I've been nothing but a moody piece of today.”

“Its alright its all my fau--”

“You better not finish that sentence.” Kyuhyun warned, small smile spreading across his face as Ryeowook wrapped his own arms around him. “Both of us were having a bad day but out of the two of us I'm the childish one who made you cry!”

“But I started it...” Ryeowook whispered.

“We both started it so you don't have anything to apologise for. Besides, you baked me brownies and folded my clothes better than I ever could.” Kyuhyun joked, Ryeowook letting out a watery chuckle.

“Lets say we're both sorry then.” Ryeowook replied, smiling up at Kyuhyun as they pulled apart.

“Deal.” Kyuhyun smiled, wiping away Ryeowooks stray tears that ran down his cheek. “Now I would really like it if you'd come back up with and share those delicious-smelling brownies before Donghae gets back and hogs them.”

Ryeowook let out a more steady laugh, allowing himself to be happily pulled along by Kyuhyun back up the stairs.