4.

College Experiences

Kyuhyun was in the east corner of the library, building completely empty except for him. In the dark of the night there was a different type of silence surrounding him compared to normal, the building feeling much more dead and alone compared to the crowded 'silence' that came with studying students. It was unnerving, and Kyuhyun felt extremely out of place in the familiar room.

The entire floor was pitch black except for the small table lamp that sat atop his desk, warm glow spilling over his books and papers that were scattered across the surface. His pen scratched furiously against the paper as he tried to scrape together a handful of competent notes - he'd 'accidentally' spent the entire day playing starcraft, and only when his room mate Donghae had asked him about his study notes that the memory of the pop quiz [worth 20% of his technical music grade] came crashing back to him.

That was how Kyuhyun found himself in the library at such an early hour of the morning, hand moving painfully fast in his haste, as he desperately tried to convince himself that he'd manage to actually pass this test with a good grade.

Sighing as the pain in his wrist become too much he dropped his pen, massaging his cramping muscles as he moved to check the time. When his phone lit up, time reading just shy of 3am he groaned, horribly aware that he wasn't going to be getting any sleep tonight because of this stupid test.

Screw his stupid memory – next time he was just going to figure out a way to blackmail Donghae for his notes instead of taking the high road.

Leaning back in his chair in defeat he closed his eyes, sighing deeply. “Maybe I'll rest for a minute or two” he whispered to himself, slumping back fully for a minute of sleep. Just as he felt himself start to nod off a loud bang rang out from the other end of the library.

Jumping up in his seat Kyuhyun was wide alert, heart beating rapidly as he looked around the large room wildly. He was the only one here, so what the hell was his noise?

“Calm down Kyu, it was probably nothing.” he whispered to himself, trying to calm his pounding heart. “You're the only one here there is absolutely nothing to worry about...” When he managed to calm himself slightly Kyuhyun took up his pen tentatively, going back to his notes.

Eventually he was completely focused back into his note taking, when there was another bang, this time slightly quieter, startling him as he yelped loudly. Looking around he paused, staring intently into the darkness, when there was a third bang that rang out much louder than before.

Immediately all bravery went out the window as Kyuhyun threw himself under the table, eyes wide as panic overtook him. This was it – this was how he was how he was going to die. At 3 in the morning in a library from some vengeful spirit. All because of this stupid technical class.

He sat under the safety of the desk for about five minutes before he realised that there were no other bangs or noises, fear turning into annoyance. How dare this ghost try to scare him away when he had a test to study for!

“You know what, screw you ghost.” he growled, crawling out from under the table and grabbing one of his thicker textbooks, heading into the darkness of the rows of shelves. “Come out and face me I don't have time for this I need to study.”

He walked through the rows of bookshelves cautiously, textbook ready in hand until Kyuhyun finally saw a dull light from the opposite end of the library. Stalking quietly over to particular corner of the building until there was just one row between him and the light he pressed himself up against the shelf, gripping the textbook tightly, before he took a deep breath. Spinning around the bookshelf he raised the book over his head ready to attack his vengeful ghost before he paused, eyes wide.

In front of him lay Ryeowook, sprawled out on the desk in front of him fast asleep with his face planted against his open book. Lowering his textbook Kyuhyun stepped forward, sighing in relief as he moved closer to the other boy. Reading over the sleeping boys head he chuckled quietly, amused at how similar the boys notes looked to his own. He paused for a moment, contemplating leaving the boy before he decided to wake him up, shaking his shoulder gently.

“Wook... hey Ryeowook...”

The smaller boy jolted, shooting upright in his seat as he looked around owlishly. Jumping again, startled when he realised someone was beside him Ryeowook squeaked loudly before rubbing his eyes tiredly, realising who was with him.

“Kyu...Kyuhyun?”

Kyuhyun couldn't stop the smile that spread across his face, overcome by the sheer adorableness of his friend in front of him. “Yeah Ryeowook it's me.”

“What are you doing here? ...what time is it?”

“It's currently about 3am.” Kyuhyun smiled. “And I'm pretty sure I'm here for the same reason you are... although you gave me the shock of my life falling asleep so loudly like that. I thought you were a ghost out to kill me!”

Ryeowook flushed bright pink, spluttering as he looked at the boy above him. “S-Sorry.”

“No harm done.” Kyuhyun shrugged, holding up the book in his hands sheepishly. “At least I least I was smart enough to not hit you with my textbook.”

“Yeah... yeah I'm thankful for that.” Ryeowook stated, eyes wide as he stared at the textbook.

Kyuhyun chuckled, leaning forward to fully read over the others notes. “So what's the plan? You planning to go back to sleep here on your new bed or do you want to join forces and go through our desperate study notes together?”

Ryeowook paused, biting his lip deep in thought. “I've had my nap now, its time to get back to work. Besides, you need someone to protect you from the ghosts.” Ryeowook teased, giving Kyuhyun an amused grin.

“My hero~” the taller boy drawled, returning the grin as he moved to gather up some of Ryeowook's papers. “C'mon, you go first into the darkness then mr. hero and I'll follow after you.”

“...maybe we can defend each other by going at the same time.”

Kyuhyun just laughed.