10.

College Experiences

For the first time in weeks most of the dorm building was empty, majority of the older residents out attending one of the big end of summer festivals that was being held off campus. To Ryeowook it was almost like a dream come true – he had enjoyed his time so far living in the dorms, but it was nice to feel like he was an only child home alone once again.

He finally had a day off to do whatever he wanted, settling in with the book he'd been itching to read to all semester, holed up in his room until the early evening. Realising he was hungry he started to head out to get something from the food hall before he paused, biting his lip as he looked through the common room and into the kitchen.

It had been a really long time since he'd actually had a home cooked meal...

Mind made up he headed into the kitchen, finding just enough ingredients in the cupboards [thanking Yesung silently for his random shopping trips] for him to pull together something easy for dinner.

Making quick work of the cooking he returned to his room, ready for a night of further relaxation without having to worry about assignments or course work for the first time in forever. He got into bed, balancing his bowl of noodles carefully as he flipped open his laptop, pulling up the latest season of the Pink Princess he'd missed to finally catch up.

Halfway through through the first episode he head Henry from down the hall start up his violin practice, soft music that floated through the hall almost soothing as he continued his show. Henry normally spent his various free afternoons playing, chords of the movement he was learning already familiar to Ryeowook's ear.

The violin started off soothing at least, until it was well past midnight and the boy was still at it. Ryeowook had his head shoved underneath his pillows in an attempt to block out the noise coming through the door in a desperate attempt to sleep.

He really didn't want to bother Henry's practice – he knew the boy was considered by the faculty as a musical prodigy and was known for bringing his violin nearly everywhere – but the longer the movement went on the more it grated on his nerves, the same bars Henry was flying through over and over staring to become engraved in his brain, until he could even hear it in his thoughts.

Ryeowook grabbed his blanket, deciding to try another layer to block out the music when he heard a slam come from somewhere above him, before a loud stomping descended the stirs. Sitting up he felt curiosity get the better of him, quickly jumping up from his bed to open the door slightly, watching for who was coming through the crack now in the door.

A few moments later a dishevelled Kyuhyun stumbled past his door, pajamas crumpled and hair sticking up wildly as he scowled. Immediately Ryeowook fully opened his door, sticking his torso out to call out to the other.

“Kyu?”

Kyuhyun turned to look at the other, leaning against the wall tiredly.

“Hey Wook.” he slurred.

“Are you okay?

“I just spent nearly twenty four hours playing in a starcraft tournament and after I finally fell asleep a few hours ago only to be woken up by some violin playing jerk.” Kyuhyun mumbled, voice still laced heavily with sleep.

“He's not a jerk, he's a prodigy...” Ryeowook replied quietly.

“He's about to be a prodigy with a broken violin if he doesn't stop!” the taller grumbled.

Hearing the anger start to take over Kyuhyun's tone Ryeowook quietly followed after the taller boy as he stomped down the hall, hoping at least that if he was present he could stop Kyuhyun from actually resorting to violence in his tired anger.

Reaching the door where the music was loudest Kyuhyun went to basically punch the door, Ryeowook leaping forward to grab Kyuhyun's fist.

“WhattayawantWook?”

“Just – Henry is a sweet kid, I'm sure he'll listen if we're nice about it instead of getting angry at him.”

Kyuhyun stared down at him, Ryeowook refusing to back down on his own stare until finally Kyuhyun sighed, nodding tiredly. Wearily Ryeowook let go of his hand, watching carefully as the taller knocked gently against the door.

“Happy?” Kyuhyun whispered, Ryeowook nodding quickly as the violin cut off, music still echoing in his ears as the door finally opened. Henry was exactly as Ryeowook had described him, chubby cheeks and innocent smile as he happily waved at the pair.

“Ryeowook! And... Kyuhyun I presume? How can I help you?”

Kyuhyun's anger visibly melted, taller boy avoiding the others eyes guiltily.

“S'nothing, don't worry about it...” he mumbled, no longer having the heart to upset the younger. Staring at Kyuhyun Ryeowook just sighed, giving Henry a sweet smile.

“We were just wondering if it was possible for you to keep it down a bit? I know you like practising but we'd really like to get some sleep.”

Henry's smile turned into a shocked gasp, looking at the pair in front of him alarmed. “What time is it!?”

“Just after midnight.” Ryeowook replied.

“Oh my goodness I'm so sorry!” Henry exclaimed, apologising profusely. “I didn't mean to be so loud so late! I tend to lose track of time when I'm trying to perfect a piece...”

“Its okay!” Ryeowook smiled, nudging Kyuhyun who was finally starting to look more awake.

“Yeah its fine.” the taller added, leaning forward to ruffle the youngers hair comfortingly, Henry blushing madly at the gesture as he wished them goodnight.

“You're such a big sofite.” Ryeowook laughed, ushering the sleepy Kyuhyun back through the hallway.

“...don't tell Hae.”

“Your secret is safe with me.” Ryeowook smiled.