19.

College Experiences

Ryeowook was halfway back to the dorm building when the gentle sprinkling of rain turned into a torrential downpour. Cursing he slid his bag off his back, trying to desperately shield it under his jacket while he looked around trying to find anywhere he could go to escape the horrible weather.

Rushing towards the row of buildings alongside the quad he threw himself under the awning of the now closed college cafe, breathing a sigh of relief that the inside of his bag was still relatively dry. With his main copy of the final composition paper tucked between his textbooks there was no way Ryeowook was ever going to make it back to the building with the paper in one, dry piece if the weather kept up like this.

Watching the rain get impossibly harder he decided that he had no choice but to make himself comfortable on the freezing ground, moving to slide down against the brick wall in anticipation of waiting out the storm. Realising that he would be under the awning for a couple of hours at least Ryeowook closed his eyes, inhaling as he listened to the calming rhythm of the rain.

He felt himself drifting off, rain lulling him into state of relaxation when another sound broke the peace, heavy footsteps slapping against the wet pavement. They seemed to be coming towards him, sound getting louder through the rain until they finally came to a stop under the awning, someone heaving across from him.

Slowly opening his eyes Ryeowook looked up at the person standing above him, lips slipping into an amused smile as the boy breathed heavily.

“You really should take Changmin up on his offer to work out more if this is what you're like after a bit of running.”

“You're one to talk...” Kyuhyun wheezed, collapsing heavily beside the smaller boy, wet hair falling into his eyes. “What are you doing sitting out here in the middle of the night anyway, when you could clearly be doing the smart thing and be running across the entire campus to get home like me?”

“My final comp paper is in my bag.” Ryeowook laughed, watching the other try to hide his continued heaving. “Which means if I want to survive Professor Jung's terror I'm stuck here for as long as the rain is coming down like this.”

“You mean we're stuck here.”

Ryeowook looked back at the other boy, who had a happy smile on his face. It looked ridiculous, Ryeowook thought, with Kyuhyun already looking like a soaked-through puppy.

“Of course, we – its probably better that you stay here with me anyway, no one wants you dying from any more exercise on the way back.” he teased, laughing as Kyuhyun's pout made him look even more pathetic.

Eventually Ryeowook's giggles died down before he sighed, cold and tired once again as he let his head fall to rest on Kyuhyun's damp shoulder with a sigh. He felt the other tense, back straightening before Kyuhyun relaxed once more, gently laying his own head on top of Ryeowook's.

"So...this is nice."

Ryeowook snorted. "Thats nice for you - my clothes are so damp I'm freezing to death." 

"Are we really going to have a damp off? Because I think I win that category." Kyuhyun replied, frowning as a shiver racked through Ryeowook. "C'mere." He added, wrapping an arm around Ryeowook in a loose hug. As the shivers continued Kyuhyun dragged the smaller closer to him in an attempt to give him some warmth, ending up with the smaller boy almost in Kyuhyun's lap.

"W-Warm..." Ryeowook mumbled, wrapping his arms around Kyuhyuns torso.

"It may not do you any good considering I was basically drowned out there." Kyuhyun choked, tightening his arms around the shivering boy on his lap. "You really don't have a tolerance for cold weather, do you?"

"Shuttup." Ryeowook grumbled half heartedly, curling into Kyuhyun's arms as the wind continued to cut across where they were sat. Despite how damp his clothes were Kyuhyun was still incredibly warm, Ryeowook feeling himself start to drift off. "...can you sing to me?" he mumbled tiredly from where he was resting against Kyuhyuns shoulder, feeling the taller turn his head to look down at him.

"What, now?"

Ryeowook gave a small nod. "You're always talking about how much you love music and how its your dream but I've never heard you sing before."

"...what do you want me to sing then?" 

Ryeowook shrugged, turning to meet the others inquisitive gaze. "Whatever you like."

Kyuhyun gave him a small smile, silence falling between them as Ryeowook settled back comfortably against him, feeling himself start to drift off again when Kyuhyun finally began to sing. Ryeowook recognised the song - a love ballad that had been popular on the radio recently - something that suited Kyuhyuns voice perfectly. It was like the other boy was born to sing, voice smooth and warm, rich and melodic as he weaved through the notes of the song. His voice was full of such powerful raw emotion that Ryeowook felt completely overwhelmed.

Before he knew it the song came to an end, Kyuhyuns voice echoing in the rain.

"You're really talented Kyu, you're going to be an amazing singer." he managed to choke out, feeling Kyuhyuns arms tighten around him once more.

"Thanks Wook. It means alot to hear that from you." Kyuhyun whispered.

The pair fell back into a comfortable silence, just watching the rain before Kyuhyun finally spoke up again.

“You think they'd deliver pizza out here to us?”

 

---

 

“Stop being mean Yesung I'm sick...” Kyuhyun sniffled, resting his head tiredly against the table in the crowded food hall.

By the time the rain had died down it was nearly midnight, the two boys shivering as they made their way back to the dorm building huddled together. When Ryeowook had woken up late the next morning he had felt like death warmed over, and when he came across Kyuhyun at lunch it was obvious the other boy was faring even worse than him.

“It's not my fault the two of you are idiots.” Yesung sighed, holding out a glass of water for a coughing Ryeowook, arm slung lightly around his shoulders.

“We couldn't get back.” Ryeowook whined through coughs, choking back the water with a wince.

“The both of you thought about trying to call for pizza delivery instead of, you know, calling me or Donghae to come get you with an umbrella.” Yesung replied, Ryeowook looking at him sheepishly as Kyuhyun sneezed loudly.

“Owww my head!!!” he cried, staring at the arm around Ryeowook before glaring at the older boy across from him. “Where is my glass of water?”

“Right in front of you with the cold and flu pills I went and bought you early this morning – you're welcome by the way.”

“Thanks Sungie.” Ryeowook rasped, kicking Kyuhyun sharply under the table.

“Tha-aa-aCHOo-k you.” Kyuhyun managed to get out miserably before slamming his head back on the table.

Yesung just looked at the two of them, both in varying states of pain before he sighed once more.

“What am I ever going to do with the both of you...”