11.

College Experiences

It was half way through the first semester that Kyuhyun decided Ryeowook spent way too much time inside studying. Influenced by Donghae and his easy friendship with athletic junkie Changmin he decided the best solution was to drag his shy friend out to one of the latters athletics club meetings.

Ryeowook felt sick to his stomach. He had always been the last one picked in gym class – for all his musical capabilities he completely lacked any sort of ability or talent when physical activity was involved. The small boy was awkward and shy surrounded by the members of the club that looked waaaay more athletic than him.

Changmin however, found him absolutely adorable, Kyuhyun unamused as his friend took Ryeowook with him to the other members, introducing him before separating the group into teams. By the end Ryeowook was quietly put on Changmin's team while the enthusiastic boy placed Kyuhyun on the other with a smirk.

Kyuhyun thought his friend was an , watching from the other end of the designated field as Ryeowook followed around his delighted friend while they set up. He grumbled to himself, standing around before Ryeowook finally approached him again.

“Are you okay?” Ryeowook asked, concern on his face as he looked up at the other.

“Yeah – out of the two of us am I really the one you should be worried about?” Kyuhyun teased, trying to brush off the others worry easily.

“I'm still confident this isn't a good idea.” Ryeowook paled. “I don't even know what frisbee golf is supposed to be?”

Kyuhyun laughed, turning the smaller boy to face one of the metal baskets Changmin was setting up. “Okay, so you see that metal bin thing Min is setting up? The aim of the game is to get the frisbee in it – when you do you get a point. The way the team works is basically like soccer, you're trying to stop the others from scoring instead.

It's really easy I promise you'll get the hang of it.” Kyuhyun continued, smiling at the grimace crossing Ryeowook's face. “There's a reason I picked this week to drag you along – Min will carry you so you won't have to worry unless he passes the frisbee to you, and he'll only do so if you're open and ready for it.”

Ryeowook nodded, attempting a smile as Changmin came over to them, slinging an arm around the smallers shoulders. “Making friends with the enemy I see!” he teased.

“Ha. Ha, Ha.” Kyuhyun laughed sarcastically, Ryeowook stifling his nervous laughter behind his hand.

“You really have nothing to worry about Ryeowook – I'll get you through the game AND we'll whoop Kyuhyun's while we're at it!” he grinned, Ryeowook choking on his laughter.

“.” Kyuhyun replied, following as there was a call for the game to begin.

The game started and Ryeowook found he could barely keep up, the club members as competitive as he had imagined. People are flying all over the field trying to grab the frisbee, and its all Ryeowook could do to not get in the way, thanking every deity out there for helping him successfully dodge out of the way every time a wall of muscle came hurtling his way.

He was surprised however, to find that Kyuhyun as actively apart of the game, even taking on Changmin with enthusiasm. Ryeowook was shocked to find the other boy was sportier than he thought, easily keeping up with the rest of the group while he dawdled behind.

Ryeowook managed to get half way through the game without making a fool of himself, even holding the frisbee twice – despite clumsily passing it right back to Changmin when the bodies had come barrelling towards him – his team was even winning despite the black hole he was.

There was a fierce competition for the frisbee in the middle of the field, Ryeowook watching from a small distance away as he tried to catch his breath. He was still heaving when a shadow fell over him, looking up to find Kyuhyun looking over him, bright grin on his face.

“Having fun!?”

“If nearly being bowled over and feeling like I'm about to pass out is fun, then I'm over the moon.” he panted, Kyuhyun laughing loudly.

“You should be here for the football days, you'd be flattened the second you even touched the ball.” Kyuhyun replied, Ryeowook grimacing at the idea.

“RYEOWOOK HEADS UP!!!” A voice shouted to them, Ryeowook turning to find its source when a blur of white flew straight at him, hitting him right between the eyes.

Stumbling back Ryeowook's hands flew to his face, wincing as pain immediately blossomed. He felt himself stumble, legs crumpling underneath him and vision blurring as he fell. Ryeowook landed in a heap, closing his eyes in pain as the throbbing pain intensified. He could hear people calling his name but couldn't bring himself to reply, desperately willing the tears he felt welling in his eyes not to spill. Suddenly there was a hand on his cheek, warmth helping to slightly ease the pain.

“Wook you okay? I need you to let go so I can see and figure out how hurt you are.” Kyuhyun whispered gently, his cheek softly. Slowly Ryeowook dropped his hands, wincing as Kyuhyuns fingers carefully brushed against the area with the worst pain just above his nose.

“Your nose isn't broken at least.” Kyuhyun breathed in relief. “Though you're going to have a headache and a nasty bruise when you wake up tomorrow...”

Ryeowook slowly opened his eyes, tears b as he looked up at the calming smile Kyuhyun had on his face.

“It could be worse, right?” Ryeowook replied, trying to return the smile without grimacing. Kyuhyun let out a breathy chuckle as they were surrounded by the members of the club, Changmin pushing through the crowd with a worried look on his face.

“Oh Ryeowook I am so sorry – I thought you were paying attention when I threw it.”

“Its alright, it probably looks worse than it is.” Ryeowook mumbled, Changmin crouching to look at him guiltily.

“...but its so red.”

“Real comforting, way to go Min.” Kyuhyun grumbled, rolling his eyes as his friend gave him a sheepish smile. “Wanna get all your people to back off and give us some space?”

“Alright people you heard him – Ryeowook's not dying so you can all take at least ten steps back. We'll have a break for a bit.” Changmin declared, following the group back to their equipment. As they dispersed Ryeowook's attention turned back to Kyuhyun, the tallers hand drifting from his face to his shoulder.

“Are you okay to get up on your own? I can pick you up if you want...”

“N-No! It's okay!” Ryeowook exclaimed, face turning a bright shade of pink at Kyuhyun's suggestion.

“At least let me help you up then.” Kyuhyun laughed, pulling the other to his feet. He steadied Ryeowook as the injured boy swayed slightly, wincing once more as a sharp throb of pain went through his skull again. Quickly Kyuhyun caught him, waving Changmin back over.

“I'm going to take Wook back to the dorms and make sure he doesn't collapse on himself.” he stated, Changmin nodding in agreement as Ryeowook frowned up at them. With one last shouted apology from Changmin the pair headed back across the field, making their way slowly to the dorm building.

“This is what happens when you get me involved in sports.” Ryeowook grumbled, Kyuhyun laughing loudly.

“If I'd known it would be this bad I would've taken you to cooking club or something!”

“I'll have you know I make amazing chocolate brownies.” Ryeowook huffed.

“You know I'm totally going to hold you to that, I demand I get the chance to try them!” Kyuhyun exclaimed, bright grin on his face.

“I don't know, I might end up hurt even worse if you drag me into a kitchen.” Ryeowook teased.

“Hey! That hurts you know.” Kyuhyun cried, hand flying to his chest in mock pain.

“I would not bring up bring hurt right now if I was you.” Ryeowook grumbled, laughing as Kyuhyun turned to look at him in panic.

When they reached the building Kyuhyun took him up to his room, forcing Ryeowook to lie down on the bed while he went to get stuff to help. Ryeowook had no choice to comply as he settled against the pillow, Kyuhyun returning after a few minutes with a number of things balanced in his arms.

“First, I got you some water and pain tablets.” he stated, holding out the glass and container for Ryeowook to take. He quickly swallowed them, giving the glass back to Kyuhyun before he laid back down, closing his eyes to wait for them to take effect. A sudden coldness was pressed to his face, Ryeowook hissing as he sat upright.

“Sorry!!!” Kyuhyun jumped, moving the bundle away from the others face. “Donghae keeps a cold pack in the freezer for when he gets sore after dancing, I thought it would be good to help with the swelling!”

Sighing Ryeowook flopped back down, wincing slightly as Kyuhyun gently reapplied the cold pack.

“You don't have to stay you know, it wasn't your fault I was hurt.” Ryeowook whispered.

“I know...” Kyuhyun replied slowly, not moving from his seat on the bed. “But I wanna help you anyway – I mean you'd do the same for me.”

Ryeowook just smiled, the pair falling into a comfortable silence until the painkillers finally took effect, quickly nodding off.

When Ryeowook woke he was alone, room dark and empty. A get well soon card was left on his beside table, chocolate brownie sitting beside it.

 

-------------

just a quick reminder, this is pretty much a slow building relationship, which means a good chunk of this will be them as friends with romantic feels sublty building between them. a few more chapters and we should get a certain increase :^)