Chapter Five

Angel Vessel


 


Real soon it seemed. I told the office that I would work from home the next day because I didn't feel well. The truth was, I didn't really want to face Myungsoo today. It was a coward move, but I would gladly be a coward for Myungsoo's anger to dissipate.

I heated up some breakfast and sat on the couch cross-legged as I booted up my laptop. I was trying to access my data files from work when the doorbell rang. Myungsoo wouldn't have came to confront me, would he?

Slightly nervous, I went over to the digital panel to see who was outside. It was Woohyun. He wore a burgundy sweater today paried with a pair of navy blue jeans. His hair was still artfully messy. I wondered for a second if he woke up looking like that. As if he knew I was looking at him, he grinned up at the camera. "Good Morning. I have your favorite coffee and doughnuts." He held up a jug of coffee and a box.

"Bastard either really knows me or has done a good job stalking me." I grumbled to myself. Seeing as I had no choice, I unlocked the door and let him in. I peeked my head out into the hallway to see if any neighbors saw I was letting a guy inside my house. This earned a soft laugh from him. He walked over to my couch like he owned the place.

Woohyun coughed as he set the breakfast down. My microwaved breakfast sandwich paled in comparison. "What? You thought that your place needed a new scent of heavy eau de cigarette?" He coughed again picking up my ashtray and set it down on the far side of the room.

"Given if what you started to tell me is really the truth, I have every right to use the anti-anxiety methods that serve me best." I said irritated at his chiding. "Anti-attractive is more like it." He said grabbing two ceramic mugs and plates from my kitchen before filling them respectively.

"Who do I need to look attractive for?" I replied automatically and had the sense of de javu. Woohyun didn't even look up from his plate of doughnuts. "Your partner?" His mouth was slightly full so I ignored him and picked up the steaming mug of coffee. He swallowed his large bite of food before he spoke again. "For the record I disapproved when you started the nasty habit when you were fifteen." He said matter-of-factly.

"You're obviously here to convince me further that you are who you say you are. So let's stop taking strolls down memory lane and get to it."

"You didn't believe me even after I told you how I knew you still had nightmares?" He asked raising an eyebrow.

"You can't expect me to just take you for your word. That goes against my personality. If you really are my guardian angel, you should know that." I sighed and then crossed my arms. "If any person was smart enough, they probably could deduce that the death of my parents still affected me. Do angels need to eat?" I watched him devour another doughnut. 

"You're right. And as for food, yes, since I'm corporeal and I expended a lot of energy last night, I need the nourishment." He took a few gulps of his coffee after blowing on it. "Energy?" I raised an eyebrow. 

"Teleportation. It's draining, but it was the only way to get you alone. I also took away your injury."

"What is that supposed to mean?" I asked and he sighed. "Minji, I get that you have a lot of curious questions, but we need to discuss the more important things now." he set down his cup. 

He was the one stuffing his face so I started to protest, but his face became serious when his eyes met mine. I coughed and walked over to the couch. "And for the record, if you tell me something I don't know I will always ask questions." I sat down with my coffee. 

"Alright." It was his turn to stand up. "As I said yesterday, the guardians are usually always assigned to an Angel Vessel. Although there are quite a few details to it, it is exactly as it sounds. You are a vessel for angels."

"What?" I just stared at him. 

"It may not seem like it, but there are different levels of angels. There is the first level, you can think of them as normal angels. Then guardian angels are the second level. And the last level are the archangels, which hold the most power."

Part of me felt like I should haul him to the psychiatric ward at the hospital right now. I probably should get a checkup too, seeing as I was actually listening to what was coming out of his mouth. "The archangels, most well known ones to humans being Michael, Raphael and Gabriel, are too powerful to walk on Earth. But, they need to be able to access Earth on occasions of emergency so Angel Vessels were created." 

He took a another gulp of his coffee. "So we're just cattle for the usage of these so called archangels?" I asked. "No, it isn't like that. They only enter the Angel Vessels when they need to protect mankind." He said. 

"From what?"

"Each other, disaster and any malicious force that will cripple mankind."

"I don't get it." I stared at the dark surface of my coffee.

"I don't expect you too. Angels were taught this since creation, there is no way a human could understand the magnitude and importance in such a short time." He said with a tone of sympathy.

"How can you prove to me you are an angel?" I asked, the question bubbled to the surface. He seemed slightly relieved at the question, maybe it was because I didn't run away or kick him out.

"What? My face is not enough for you?" He smirked and that somehow soothed my nerves a little. "Please be serious." I said trying to make it not sound like a plea.

He nodded and stood up and started to strip.

Strip probably wasn't the right word. He grabbed the edges of his sweater and pulled it over his head. But, that didn't stop me from blushing. "What the hell are you doing?!" I threw a pillow at him out of reflex. He caught it and laughed softly. "I forget how easily you get embarrassed. I'm going to show you my wings." He said and tossed the pillow back at me and took off his plain white t-shirt.

My face started to feel hot, but I did a double take and I stared. It wasn't just because he wasn't already a sight to look at. He has looked rather flimsy in his sweater but he was all lean coiled muscle. With a set of washboard abs that would make many girls drool. But I was his scars that grabbed my attention. They ranged from being thin and smooth to thick and slightly ragged.  They criss-crossed his body.  What kind of pain did he go through to get all those scars? That question started to haunt me. "Minji." His voice caught my attention and he turned around.

Again, I found myself speechless because my eyes found one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. His "wings" were a silver tattoo across his back. They stretched across his shoulder blades. "No feathers?" I finally managed. He chuckled. "Yeah because walking around with white feathered wings in my back would be completely inconspicuous." He turned to face me.

"How do you fly with a silver tattoo?"

"The tattoo harnesses the powers of my original wings. Since guardians spend most of their time on Earth, we have to do these kinds of things to blend in." He shrugged. "You should put on your shirt." I said taking a sip of my coffee and he took a step towards me with a small smirk tugging at his pink lips. "What? Am I making you uncomfortable?"

"Where did you get those scars?" I asked in defense and his demeanor completely changed. He straightened, smile gone and put on his shirt and then his sweater. "I forget that you are getting your angel sight back. Normal people would never see them." He said grabbing another doughnut. "How did you get them?" I asked again. "Fighting." Was his one word answer. And the look in his eyes along with his tone told me we were done talking about it. "What is Angel sight?" I changed the subject. " Normal people wouldn't even be able to see my tattoo let along the scars angels have. You can see what marks us as an angelic being."

"Where is yours?" He came closer and knelt down on one knee in front of me as he turned his head. And there, at the base of his neck was a small silver tattoo of a pair of intricate angel wings complete with a halo. Unconsciously my fingers came up and traced the tattoo. I felt him shiver slightly. "That tickles." He said and moved away.

"You've told me quite a lot." I said standing up. "But you've been protecting me invisibly, why are you making yourself known to me now?"

His face darkened considerably at that. "If I could choose to, I would still be guarding you invisibly, but you are in danger and you need to be fully aware what will be coming for you so you can be prepared to face it." He said but it was so vague. "What's coming for me?" I asked.

"Not what, who. And if he gets to you, you will die."