Chapter Fifteen

Angel Vessel


 


He was definitely not suited to be a liar because his body stiffened. "No." He stood up. "Really?" I asked, skeptical now. "Nope." He smiled slightly. "Did you lie about not dig able to lie to me?" I asked slowly. "That was the complete truth." And I nodded. There would no reason for him to lie anyway. It was just a weird dream. I preferred it over the nightmare.
 
"Where are you going now?" He asked. "Well wouldn't you know, because you followed me here?" I asked. "I just felt that you were distressed and rushed over here." He shrugged. "You know what you should just get me cookies and cake. Isn't that what all girls eat when they are so called 'distressed'." I air quoted distressed for emphasis.
 
His face grew thoughtful. "I just thought of something I had to do. I'll see you later." And he turned around and left. I blinked at the quick change in attitude and sighed. "Whatever." I dug through my pocket for my phone and tried Myungsoo again to no avail.
 
"Myungsoo-ah. Just talk to me." I left him a message and drove back to the station. 
 
Although he seemed to be angry at me, there was no way he would shirk his duties. I opened the door to our office, hopeful, but it was empty.
 
"This doesn't make any sense. He couldn't be that angry, could he?" I asked myself. "Yah Park Minji!" The office door swung open just as I sat my down. "Sungyeol." He looked angry again. He was angry at me a lot.
 
"Where is Myungsoo? That kid is seriously going to slack when we have two unsolved cases and a mess of clues?" He asked. "No. He's not feeling well." I quickly lied and Sungyeol sighed. "He didn't even ask for sick leave. Park, you fill out a form for him. But that also means you have to do double the workload." He said in a stern voice.
 
"Yes sir!" I stood up. "The higher ups are really hoping this gets solved soon. The people are getting scared by this unknown and cold blooded murderer story. You guys have never disappointed me." His eyes met mine. "And we won't." I said meeting his gaze steadily.
 
He nodded and left.
 
I let out a sigh of relief. Sungyeol was scary when he was angry. He was around our age, but had the ability to be promoted to our chief. It was remarkable and I respected him for it. I preferred more hands on work than sitting at a desk and pushing papers anyway.
 
I tied my hair up and started to watch the security footage Woohyun gave me. My eyes darted across the screen in each frame trying to find a suspicious looking person, but I found none. Instead, Woohyun seemed to be more friendly with her then he let on. I pursed my lips when he said something and she laughed happily.
 
For an angel, he really didn't seem that innocent in a club setting. He looked more like one of those rich boy players.
 
"What are you making that face for?" Someone asked and I was so startled I almost slipped off my chair. "Yah! Don't sneak up on me or I'll beat you up..." I looked up to see Woohyun.
 
"Oh my god. Why are you here? Get out!" I said standing up. "Well that is certainly a warm welcome. Threatening and then cold." He smirked. "I'm not joking Woohyun, I could get in trouble. We shouldn't be seen together either."
 
"I just told the front desk I was your boyfriend." He said. I blushed. "You what?!" 
"Well with my superior looks, I couldn't pass as your relative. So I had to opt for the latter." 
 
I was rendered speechless. 
 
"Anyway. I bought you cookies." He held out a bag. "I assume since the case is urgent, you aren't going to be able to go home as much." He said and I paused. "What happened to your hand?" I asked. A few fingers were bandaged. "I guess baking isn't my thing. I accidentally touched the hot pan…twice." He chuckled. "You could have just bought them from a store…" I said looking down.
 
"But you like them with extra chocolate chips."  He said taking one out. "It looks so burnt." I said taking it from him.  "Then don't eat it." He reached out to take it but I took a bite. He blinked in surprise. "It's not that bad…after the initial burnt taste." I said softly. "You are the first guy to bake cookies for me." I said looking at the cookie in my hand.  
 
"I know." He smiled. "I figured that I could get you to be less mad with a treat you liked." He laughed. I looked up. "Stupid. Now you act like an innocent angel."
 
"Hmm?" He blinked. I took a step towards him and ran my finger along his cheek. His cheek was warm, just like every time I touched him. I realized that maybe being warm was part of being an Angel. That familiar and comforting feeling. I didn't think anything of it but my touch startled him. His eyes met mine. "You still had flour on your face." I showed him my finger. "A-ah. Yeah." He scratched the back of his head laughing but I saw his cheeks flush slightly.
 
"I thought you cared about your appearances." I to lighten the suddenly weird mood. "Of course I do. But I can see you don't. Minji, your hair looks like a bird's nest." And I gaped at him. I stuffed the burnt cookie in his mouth and went to sit back down. "Leave. I have work to do."
 
He choked a little as he swallowed the cookie after a few chews. "How can you say that was good?!" He made a face. Then he sighed.
 
"Okay, okay." He put the bag of baked goods down and left. I pulled out my hair tie and tied it back up into a pony tail.
 
I tried Myungsoo a few more times but he didn't pick up. Finally around midnight, I decided I needed to try a little harder and I went to his house. There wasn't any problem getting past the doorman. I was here often and I knew the code to his apartment. So not bothering to knock, I keyed in his code and slowly opened the door.
 
The light was on and my eyes darted around the room. His house was always impeccably clean. He put my apartment to shame. But, it didn't look like it always did. Clothes were strewn around. There were empty frozen dinner trays on the coffee table and even a few empty bottles of soju. 
 
Myungsoo was sleeping on the couch. His hair was messy and his clothes was wrinkled. I sighed and went to start picking up the garbage around the room. I recycled the plastic and glass. I wiped down the table and picked up his clothes. "This seems more like normal." I said to myself. 
 
Myungsoo stirred. I ran to the kitchen to grab a cup of tea I made him. "Myungsoo-ah, this is good for hangovers." I said and was about to hand him the tea when he ran a hand through his hair. "Why are you here?" He asked. "I wanted to see you." I said softly. He scoffed. "See how stupid I am?" He asked. 
 
"Myungsoo…this isn't like you." I set down the tea. "I care about you…" I bent down next to him. "Just…go away. I just need a little more." He said. "A little more?" I asked slowly.
 
"Time. To get over this stupid crush I have on you." He said frustrated. "You're not stupid." I said looking at the floor. "I am." He answered. "No you aren't!" I snapped and he blinked, slightly taken aback. "I'm stupid! I'm sorry!" I said meeting his eyes. 
 
He raised his hand slowly to cup my cheek. "But I think I'm going to do something stupid. Can I kiss you now?" He asked slowly. I felt a shiver go down my spine. I didn't know if I wanted him to or not. He leaned in slowly until his lips touched mine. I closed my eyes instinctively and he became a little bolder. He cupped my other cheek and brought our faces closer as he intensified the kiss.
 
I sat down on the couch and he leaned into me, never breaking our kiss. He finally broke it to kiss along my jawline. I felt my skin grow hot. "Myungsoo-ah." I grabbed a handful of his shirt. "I don't want to stop." He whispered. He started undoing the buttons to my blouse and I was suddenly light headed. I knew that I had feelings for Myungsoo but were we going to do this? Now? Was this right? Was he always this impatient?
 
I shivered under his touch. He undid the rest of my buttons and his warm hand slid against my skin. I closed my eyes arching towards him. But, suddenly his touch was gone. "Get the away from her!" I heard Woohyun's voice shout and a strong grip grabbed my arm and I found myself being pulled behind Woohyun. "Wait, what…Woohyun." I said in a daze.
 
Woohyun had shoved Myungsoo away from me. Myungsoo groaned and tried to push himself up after falling to the floor. "What the hell is wrong with you!?" I hit Woohyun on his back and wanted to go help Myungsoo, but Woohyun grabbed me again and shook his head. "That's not Kim Myungsoo you know." He growled.
 
Myungsoo lifted his head and had a expression I had never seen on him. He sneered. "I at least thought I would be able to get a little further with little Minji before you showed up. What? You got the sense, she was feeling really good?" He chuckled.
 
"Myungsoo-ah…" My eyes widened. "I have to say, I would be really interested to see the rest of your body." His eyes traced me up and down. It made me feel exposed. I realized I was undressed and held my blouse together in embarrassment. Woohyun shrugged out of his jacket and covered me.  I looked at him. "W-what's happening?" I said bottom lip trembling. "It's okay. I'm here." He said softly to me and pulled me into his arms. I squeezed my eyes tightly closed. What was going on? I finally opened them to look up. 
 
"You've done something really dirty. Now get out of that boy's body. Before I make you." Woohyun turned to Myungsoo with angry eyes.
 
"Make me." Myungsoo, no whoever Woohyun was talking about grinned. Woohyun sighed in frustration. I saw him clench his fist. "She'll never forgive you if I hurt him." He said to himself. Then, he turned to me, face serious. He cupped my cheeks. "Minji, you trust me, right?" He asked. I nodded. Then his eyes turned serious. "Gabriel, lend me your power." He suddenly said and I didn't understand until his eyes started to glow and his finger came up to draw a symbol on my forehead.
 
I blinked and suddenly I felt light headed. I could no longer feel my limbs or take a breathe. My body was no longer in my possession. I was still seeing what was happening in front of me, but I couldn't move a muscle. I couldn't speak either. I felt like I was suffocating. My felt my field of vision shift to Woohyun. "Nam Woohyun." My voice…no, a lighter bell like female voice said. It seemed to echo in the room. "I cannot stay long. The Angel Vessel is panicking." She said. 
 
"Gabriel. I can't force the demon out of his body without injuring him." Woohyun said.
 
Myungsoo laughed. "You called an archangel for such a trivial thing? You can hurt this body. I don't mind." Myungsoo suddenly pulled out a gun and trained it on himself. "Park Minji, are you watching? How much would your heart hurt if your precious partner died?" He asked. I felt like I was hyperventilating, but my body stayed completely calm. 
 
"It is no longer a trivial thing." She raised my hand and started to say something in a different language. It sounded beautiful and terrifying at the same time.  Myungsoo flicked the safety on the gun. "Try me, Gabriel. Let's see if you are faster than a point blank bullet." He grinned maliciously. My hand started to glow a golden color and a small orb started to form from the center of my palm.
 
No. This so called archangel was going to get Myungsoo killed. I started to struggle with all my energy. It felt like I was banging on the walls of an enclosed space, but I kept hitting them. No! No! No!
 
"Let me help you. You just need a little push." An even more beautiful voice echoed in my mind. "Wh-" I heard the outside voice say and I became in control of my body the same time the orb of golden light launched itself at Myungsoo. "No!' I shouted.