Chapter Three

Angel Vessel


 


"But what would we even be looking for? There is no indication on what caused her to be his target. he said, eyebrows furrowing. "What if I dressed up like her?" I asked and he looked up at me. I couldn't tell Myungsoo that I would know that I was looking for. I had a feeling that it would not be the last time I saw that silver tattoo. But, he didn't see it on the victim's arm, how was I supposed to explain that I had seen it, without sounding like a few screws were loose in my head.
 
"Well…you two did seem to have a similar build. But's it's dangerous Minji." he said with worry in his voice. "You know that this isn't the first time we did something like this. If this doesn't work the first two nights, then we will try something else. I promise. I just really want to get this guy." I said and he crossed his arms over his chest. "Alright, I'll be your backup." and I smiled. "I know you'll always have my back."

How do people freaking walk in these." I grumbled about my heels when I almost tripped over my feet as we got out of the car.  "I'm edgy and I can't even smoke because smelling like cigarettes is not going to attract the bastard."

"She wasn't a smoker. Just bear with it Minji." Myungsoo said helping me put on a miniature recording device. "Here." he handed me the chip. I pulled aside my shirt to secure it when I heard his sharp intake of breath. "Geez, give a guy a warning." he said turning so his back was to me. "Oh don't be such a drama queen." I rolled my eyes.
 
"I'm not being dramatic. Don't do things like that," he said turning to face me. "Like what?" I asked and immediately wished I hadn't because he took a step toward me and backed me up against the car, eyes intense. His face was a breath away from mine.
 
I felt a lump form in my throat. Myungsoo had never did this before. If he were to kiss me, I didn't know how I would react.
 
"A-alright. I get it." I said softly. But he leaned down and I felt his lips ghost across my jaw like a feather and a shiver went down my spine. Now I really needed that cigarette. "Myungsoo." I grabbed his shoulders firmly and pushed him away slightly. "Let's start the operation." I said. 
 
"Okay." he answered looking unfazed and backed away from me. I walked next to him as we went towards the club. I studied him slightly in my peripheral vision. He always cleaned up really nice. He was wearing a dark v-neck shirt paired with dark jeans that hung low on his hips and had styled his hair up. He didn't really look like a detective at all. He looked like he could walk down a runway sometimes.
 
"You're staring." I saw the corner of his lips lift into a smirk. The cool autumn breeze ruffled his hair. "You clean up good." I said and that seem to take him briefly by surprise. "I should have gotten used to your directness by now." he observed. I gave him a small smile.
 
When we neared the club we stopped. "Alright we need to split. No one is going to come near me if you are next to me." I said and he chuckled. "What's so funny?" I asked, confused. "Trust me, Minji. Guys will come to you either way." But, before I could ask him to elaborate, he gave me one last look and we took different streets.
 
"Stupid Kim Myungsoo." I grumbled walking. I had no trouble entering the club. The loud music vibrated through the whole club. It was a place that rich kids came to have fun. Of course, privileged kids knew nothing about how people like I have lived.
 
It was a saturday night so the club was pack. People were pressed up against each other, dancing to the music. The decor was very modern. A wide dance floor, alternating color LED strobe lights and dim lighting for atmosphere.There were booths along the sides of the club and a the bar was on the far side. Squeezing through the people as fast as I could, I sat down at the glass table top bar. Thankfully could find a seat and get off my feet.
 
"Vodka." I downed the shot as soon as the bartender set it down. Thankful for the burning in my throat, I could concentrate on more people watching and less how angry I was at the upper crust.
 
Four shots later, a guy came over and offered to buy me a drink. I declined as politely as I could manage. But, I had seen him drinking with his friends in a booth and he was clearly drunk. He did not seem like the murderer I was searching for. He also wasn't taking no for an answer. I was ready to twist his wrist if he were to lay a hand on me, but another hand grabbed his upper arm first. 
 
"You've had enough." the new guy said. "Now stop bothering her and go sober up before you do something else stupid." and shoved the drunk boy away. He seemed like he wanted to protest or even start a fight, but his friend came to pull him away. Smart move. 
 
"Thank you." I said looking more closely at the new guy now. His dark hair was messy, but it still looked attractive on him. He was wearing a white t-shirt underneath his black leather jacket and his jeans looked as good on him as Myungsoo's had. 
 
He gave me a slow smile, flashing his white teeth. "No problem." he said. "I haven't seen you around here before, new?" he asked. "Yeah, my friend told me to come check out the club if I was free tonight." I quickly constructed a lie.
 
"Where's your friend?" he asked leaning towards me so I could hear him over the pounding music. "She couldn't make it last minute. I said showing disappointment in my voice. "I figured it wouldn't hurt to come and check it out. Maybe meet some people." I said with a small smile. "Well I'm some people." he joked. "Mind if I sit down?" he gestured to the newly vacated seat next to mine. 
 
I deliberated. He looked like one of those pretty boy charmers, so I had already mentally marked him off as suspect for the murder. But, there was something about him that I just couldn't place a finger on. 
 
"Go ahead. I don't own the place." I said and he chuckled. He looked at the bartender. "Usual." and he got a whiskey with ice. "So I'm guessing you come here often?" I asked. He smiled at me. "If I'm not wrong, I'm pretty sure that was a pickup line. Aren't I supposed to say those to you?" I flushed slightly. "I wasn't. I mean…"
 
"No harm, no foul. But, now I have to think of another pickup line. You should owe me a drink." He said with a twinkle in his eyes. I felt my lips twitch. "Fair enough. But, you should still answer my question, no?"
 
"I come here once in a while. Don't have as much money to blow like those spoiled kids." He downed his drink. "But i'm glad I came today, because I met you. My name is Nam Woohyun." he said. 
 
"Park Minji." and immediately realized my amateur mistake. I had said my real name rather than an alias. If this guy was different from what I originally thought, then I might have blew my own cover. What a stupid move. "But, he didn't seem to calculate anything even after hearing my name. He was relaxed and…confident. After a few more drinks and bad jokes, he grabbed my hand gently. "Want to dance?" he asked.
 
At this point, I realized that maybe I shouldn't have drank so much on an operation. I was feeling a slight buzz. 
 
"I have two left feet." I protested, but he already pulled me to the dance floor. His hands settled comfortable around my waist. His hold on me wasn't restricting, it was as if he was giving me the option to pull away if I wanted to. It bothered me because this is exactly the way I liked to be chased by a man. 
 
We started to move to the music and felt more relaxed than I had this whole evening. He leaned down slightly, and I felt his breath on my neck. My eyes closed as I felt myself unconsciously grab a handful of his jacket. 
 
The kiss I expected never came. Instead, "Minji." I heard him chuckle and my eyes burst open. I realized that there was no longer music playing and that we weren't even inside the club anymore. We were standing in the living room of my apartment.