Chapter Eighteen

Angel Vessel


 


I finished eating and was washing the dishes when Woohyun came over. He was putting on the jacket of his suit. "I have to run to Inspirit because there was a small fire last night. You'll be okay for an hour right?" He asked. I blinked at him. "What? Why didn't you go yesterday?" I asked and his face turned from apologetic to critical. "Minji, I wasn't going to leave your side yesterday even if Inspirit burned to the ground." And I stared at him. He sighed and quickly looked away before our eyes could meet. "I'll be back soon. Rest. Please." And he left. 
 
I didn't know what to think of his declaration, but I decided not to dwell on it. I grabbed my phone from the stand by the bed, surprised that it miraculously survived the freezing ordeal. The battery itself was on it's last leg, but I could see dozens of missed calls and text messages. But what caught my eye was that I had a text message from Myungsoo's phone. That couldn't be right. He was kidnapped. The text itself just read, "call me." So I took a deep breath and dialed his number.
 
"Hello Park Minji." The voice almost purred at the end of the other line. I knew it wasn't going to Myungsoo, but part of me had hoped. "What do you actually want?" I asked and he chuckled. I was beginning to hate the sound of his sarcastic laugh. "I see Woohyun did make it in time to save you. Are you doing well?" He asked. I felt my fingers tighten on the phone. The plastic made a small sound under the pressure of my fingers. 
 
How was it possible this guy that had just put my life in danger and could just casually turn around and ask me if I was okay? Like he was discussing the weather and not my life. I took a shaky deep breath. "Never better." I said as calmly as I could manage. "Now. Tell me what it is going to take for you to let Myungsoo go." 
 
"Go back to work, Minji. I have a feeling your might be needed for another case." And the Reaper hung up. I quickly redialed the number but the number was already out of service. "Goddamit, why is this guy always one step ahead?" I said angrily to myself. I grabbed my sweater and wallet before scribbling a quick note for Woohyun and heading back to the office. It was upon leaving the apartment I realized that I was in my own apartment complex. Woohyun had been living in the same building as me and didn't say a word. 
 
I took a deep breath and pushed this detail to the back of mind. I had too much to worry about, this detail that he forgot to mention would have to be put on a hold. 
 
Going back to my apartment, I grabbed my car keys and headed for the station. I hustled into the office, but immediately froze after I opened the door. Myungsoo was sitting at his desk, typing away at his computer. He looked up at me when I walked in, but the sarcastic smile on his face already told me that this wasn't my partner.
 
"Good Morning Minji." He said standing up and coming over to hug me. "Surprised?" He whispered in my ear as his arms went around me. I felt a chill go down my spine. "What will it take for you to leave Myungsoo out of this?" I said voice shaking.
 
"I rather enjoy the reactions I get from you." He said. These words were just all wrong coming out in Myungsoo's voice. I squeezed my eyes shut. I wish this could be all a horrible dream. He then ran his lips lightly along my jawline and anger flared through me and I grabbed the front of his shirt. I gritted my teeth. "Don't you touch me!" I said
 
He was unaffected by my outburst. "Hurt this body if you want. You'll only be hurting your precious partner. That's why those Archangels use vessels. Because they would never be injured. It's the vessels fate to be the one who lives and dies to their whims."
 
I felt my grip on the front of his sweater tighten. "Shut up."
"That Nam Woohyun likes to pretend he understands everything. That he can protect you from everything, but he doesn't know the half of it. Who knows? The truths might destroy him before they hurt you." And he grabbed my wrists and squeezed them painfully. I had no choice but to let go of him with a sharp intake of breath and he took a step back. 
 
"Why are you saying these things?" I asked. "Because this is the first time in a while I've enjoyed the hunt this much. I can just squeeze the life out of you right now. Your partner would be condemned with murder and I can move on." I trembled because I couldn't break my eyes away from his. He straightened his sweater and looked up.
 
He reached forward and touched my hair. "But, not yet. There is more fun to be had." He smirked. "We should get back to work." He said and turned around to go back to his desk. 
 
How was it possible that this man could just talk about hurting others without even batting an eyelash? Why was I becoming an object of this sick game of his?
 
I went to sit back down at my desk, but suddenly the door to the office burst open. "Sir, even if you want to see Detective Park, you can't just rush into a police department building." A younger officer at the desk appeared in the door way. "Get out of my way." A familiar voice said, barely withholding his anger. 
 
When Woohyun saw me sitting at my desk, a few emotions flitted across his face. Worry, relief and then anger. "It's alright Officer Kim." I stood up. Woohyun strode over to me. "I leave you alone for half an hour and you go and decide things by yourself?" He asked.
 
"Possessive much?" Officer Kim said. I gave the younger officer a warning look. "You may go. Thank you." And he gave me a polite nod of his head before closing the door behind him.
 
"I need to work. This is my job. There are still cases that we are working on." I said to him, not backing down. "We?" He looked up and realized that Myungsoo was also present. "You." His eyes narrowed and he took a step towards the Reaper but I put a hand on his chest. "Don't. Not in the office." I said quietly. 
 
"He's mocking us." Woohyun said pushing against my hand. "I know. But while he is in Myungsoo's body. We can't hurt him." I said dejected.
 
"That's right." Myungsoo stood up. "That's is just what all Angels are. Dogs on short leashes." And Woohyun moved faster than I could follow and punched Myungsoo right in the face. Myungsoo fell back, but he laughed as he wiped the blood at the corner of his lip.
 
"Woohyun!" I grabbed the Guardian Angel's arm. His skin was hot, like he was heating up from just anger alone. "I wonder if it's Minji that cares about your well being or Eunji." Myungsoo suddenly said and Woohyun completely tensed up underneath my touch. "What did you just say?" He asked carefully.
 
Myungsoo just raised his eyebrows and shoulders in a shrug. "I find it meaningless to repeat myself." He gave an easy going smile but I knew that the smile was a challenge. One that he wanted Woohyun to take him up on.
 
"What's going on here?" The door opened and Sungyeol walked in. I let go of Woohyun hoping that he was smart enough to behave himself in front of my boss.
 
"Nothing. He was just about to leave." I said as Myungsoo got to his feet.
 
"Well he really does have to. Just got a call. A DB was just found. On ice this time." Sungyeol said. "You two need to get your act together. The higher-ups care a lot about these cases." He said. "And Park?"
 
"Yes sir?"
"Don't bring your romantic problems into the office." And he left. 
 
After the door clicked close I looked at the Reaper in Myungsoo's body. He met my angry eyes with calm ones. "Let's go Minji." He smiled and grabbed Myungsoo's car keys.