Chapter Twenty-Eight

Angel Vessel


 


"Could you be any later?" I asked. Sunggyu took one look at me and glared. "I didn't want to come." He said. "Watch out!" The Reaper had already recovered from the blow and went at Sunggyu, but another figure punched the Reaper so hard he staggered back. Woohyun was on his feet. His face was pale, but he was okay. I felt tears sting the back of my eyes as a weight I didn't know that was on my chest lifted. I tried to pull myself up, but my wrist was killing me and I felt completely drained of energy. I had taken a gamble with Sunggyu. I hadn't known which was greater. His love for Eunji or his hatred an jealousy towards Woohyun. But it seemed love temporarily won. He had legitimately cared for Eunji. 
 
The Reaper wiped the blood at the corner of his lip. "I thought we had a deal Sunggyu." He raised his eyebrow. "I should be saying that." The Guardian Angel replied coolly. "You had no intention of helping me get Eunji back. You just wanted Minji's soul to add to your collection for Lucifer." 
 
The Reaper didn't even bother to deny the accusation, he merely shrugged. "We all want things Sunggyu. It doesn't mean you are going to get what you want." He smirked. 
 
Sunggyu glared. "You won't either. Eunji's soul is too precious to fall into your hands. Ever." He looked at Woohyun then. "Will you do it?" He asked and I became confused. Do what?
 
"I've already been planning to. Minji has been hurt enough. Things will end." Woohyun said, but Sunggyu didn't say anything and gave him an unreadable look. 
 
The Reaper laughed. "I don't know what you two are planning to try to do, but if you think you can defeat me is literally laughable. Maybe that is your plan? Make my laugh myself to death?"
 
I cradled my broken wrist to my chest and pulled myself to my feet. My mind reeled. Woohyun didn't exactly fare well in the fight with the Reaper last time. "Can you cover me like old times?" Woohyun suddenly looked at Sunggyu, dark eyes serious. Sunggyu continued to give him an unreadable look, but there was something else in his eyes. I hoped I was seeing his resolve. 
 
The Reaper didn't wait for the two of them to work out a plan and he started to take steps towards me. My eyes widened and I took a step back instinctively. 
He gave me a smirk and then suddenly my side started to burn. I gasped in pain grabbing where he branded me, the pain bringing me to my knees.
 
"Minji!" I heard Woohyun yell and then the pain suddenly stopped because Sunggyu punched the Reaper right in the gut. Woohyun followed up with a kick to his chest sending him back. It barely made him take a few steps back. The Reaper's eyes grew colder and I saw a malicious smirk appear on his face. No matter how beautiful he looked, it was terrifying.
 
There had to be something I could do. Something…
I squeezed my eyes tightly shut. I didn't know if it would work, but I needed a miracle. I needed to know that everyone would be okay, even if I wasn't.
 
"Eunji." I whispered to myself. "I don't know if you can hear me, I'm technically talking to myself. But is there something we can do? Something I can do?" I pleaded softly.
 
Suddenly I wasn't kneeling on the cold and hard concrete floor of the warehouse. I was in a beautiful meadow. "Hi Minji." I swung around to see a golden light take the shape of a beautiful woman with long raven black hair. 
 
"This isn't heaven is it?" I asked. "No." She shook her head with a small smile. "It's your mind. A place where you would like to be, one day." She said and then she took a step towards me and took my hand. "I'm sorry." I felt myself say. She shook her head. "You have nothing to be sorry about. No one forced me to save a life that I believed worth saving. Woohyun taught me a lot of things. I have no regrets." She said with a gentle smile.
 
"But Woohyun." I countered. She patted my hand. "He already has another he holds dear. He just doesn't completely know it yet." Then she turned more serious. "I had always wanted to speak with you, but my power, our power can only do so much. I'm supposed to be part of your soul, and I will go back to being just that after this ordeal. You will grow stronger on your own and will no longer need my guidance." She knelt down. "Oh no no." I knelt with her. I couldn't have an Angel kneel to me, even if it was all just in my head, literally.
 
She laughed, a clear and soft bell like sound. "You know how to summon one of us." She started.
 
"Gabriel is probably furious at me." I said. "Gabriel will come. For that is the duty of an Angel. But you need to call another. Michael." She whispered. "But he's…the strongest of them all." Remembering the religious lessons I once had. But of course I hadn't believed Angels existed then. 
 
"Make no mistake Minji, there are dire consequences." Then suddenly she looked up, eyes wide. "No." The meadow started to fade. "What's happening?!" I grabbed Eunji's hands, alarmed. She gave me the saddest smile I had ever seen. "Summoning is the unconventional way to get them onto Earth. But the real process is that they choose to descend into a vessel. I'm sorry Minji. I'll try my best." Was all she could say before she faded along with the beautiful meadow. I was in my mental prison. This time it wasn't Gabriel's voice who called to me.
 
"Hello Park Minji. I have decided that I come see for myself what Gabriel has reported and to pass my judgement after this is over. You may call me Michael."