Chapter Seventeen

Angel Vessel


 


"Minji?" Someone called my name as I came too. I saw Sunggyu when I opened my eyes and sat up. But I must've done it too fast because my head spun. Drinking during the day was not a good idea…but I honestly did not know how to numb the emotions that were raging through me. 
 
"Sunggyu, sorry." I said rubbing my eyes. "It's okay. Here drink this, you'll feel better." He handed me a cup of tea. "It's warm." I said cupping my hands around the mug. I could barely recall being woken up and being led into the apartment before falling asleep on Sunggyu's couch. 
 
He smiled. "Are you feeling better?" He asked. "Yeah." I said after taking a gulp of tea. It was good. Hopefully the tea soothed my throbbing head quickly. I checked my watch. "Oh my god. Look at the time. I have to go, it's late." I said drinking the rest of tea and standing up. "Would you like me to drive you?" He asked. "I really can't ask anymore of you." I said feeling guilty that I already used so much of Sunggyu's time. 
 
"I've never seen you as a bother." He grabbed my arm gently so our eyes could meet. "Actually Minji…I don't know why you needed to drink so much, but I'm here if you ever need me." He took a deep breath and exhaled like he was nervous about something. "I know we've only just met. But I really like you." He said softly and my eyes widened. I had not expected a confession, especially not from Sunggyu. Then I remembered how he was always so kind to me and his warm smile whenever we crossed paths. 
 
I felt my cheeks warm up. "Sunggyu…I'm flattered. But I'm really troubled…lately. I can't think about relationships right now." I said and set down the mug on his coffee table. "I have to go. I can get a taxi. I'll be fine by myself for a while." I said trying to let him down nicely. I went to the door and he didn't move and his head hung low. "I'll see you soon?" He lifted up his head to smile at me. It was sadder than his usual smiles. "Definitely." I mustered a smile back at him and left. After I left the apartment complex and walked towards the train station. This was a familiar part of Seoul, so I wasn't afraid of being lost. 
 
Althought it was only the fall, the temperatures dropped at night. The slightly chilly night wind blowing in my face helped me clear my head a little. When I walked off the main street, I heard a cry of distress. I looked around and realized it was coming from an alley. I unclipped my gun from my holster and walked cautiously to the alley opening. There was a shuffling in the shadows and moan of pain caused me to run forward. "Stop!" I said pointing the gun at the shadow holding what looked like a metal pipe. 
 
Suddenly, my vision blurred considerably and the energy seem to drain from my arms and legs. "Huh?" Suddenly someone grabbed me from behind in a chokehold. I tried to bring my hands up to break the hold because I was losing air, fast. I hadn't even noticed there was someone behind me. Then a deep voice whispered in my ear. "Sleep, Park Minji." And a sharp pain in my neck caused my vision to go completely black and I lost all consciousness.
 
I woke up because I was shivering. I felt another chill go through me as I opened my eyes. "She's awake." A voice said and I tried to find the source to no avail. 
 
"Don't bother looking. You're in an enclosed space." The voice said and I saw the small speaker in the corner of the room. No, it was more like a container…a very cold container.
 
I exhaled and visibly saw my breath. I shivered again and finally realized my hands and ankles were secured by zip ties. With my hands bound behind me, I couldn't even hug myself for warmth. "Why did you bring me here?" I asked.
 
Part of me didn't expect an answer but, the speaker replied in a few seconds. "What does it take to break you, Park MInji?" It asked.
 
"I'm not glass. I don't break." I said with slightly gritted teeth. I had no idea why anyone would kidnap a detective. I didn't make all that much money. But, the person had said my name, so I wasn't being randomly targeted or was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  The voice laughed. It was an electronically altered laugh. Whoever this was, the voice alterer would conceal their identity from me. 
 
"A human's spirit is actually a fragile thing. That is something you will learn in time. You're a bright girl, I'm sure you'll figure something out. Now Minji, tell me where Woohyun is." My eyes widened. There was no way that someone could know he was an Angel. I didn't think anyone would know I even had relations with him. I scoffed trying to stay calm. "What do you want with my boyfriend?" I asked trying to figure out just what they were after.
 
"Don't lie, Minji. You aren't romantically involved with that sorry excuse for an existence." It chuckled without humor. My eyes narrowed. "I don't appreciate you calling my boyfriend names."
 
"Where is your Guardian Angel Minji?" It asked. "But then again, he was injured from using his powers to fight, he summoned an archangel without permission and teleported above his quota. Oh and can't forget the healing. Must've been a big strain on his body." I felt myself tremble from something other than the cold. A new wave of goosebumps broke out across my skin. I was suddenly very terrified.
 
"Yes Minji. I am the one who took your precious partner. Now, we don't have to beat around the bush." 
 
"Let Myungsoo go!" I shouted. "You aren't in a position to demand things."
"Let him go!" I shouted again. "We'll trade. The location of your Angel for your partner."
 
"I don't know where he is!" I shouted, feeling my eyes sting. Here I was trapped in a freezer, completely helpless and clueless. "Tsk Tsk Minji. Do you want to me take a slice at Myungsoo after every time you said say you don't know? Would that motivate you to talk?" He asked. "No! Don't hurt him! Please. He's innocent." I cried.
 
"Let's play a game then." Suddenly the temperature dropped again. It had to be significant for me to physically feel it. "What game?" I said through my chattering teeth. "He's supposed to be your guardian angel right? Woohyun can't protect anything. You can't trust him, he will only let you down again and again." The voice said. "What are you trying to say?" I asked.
 
"Let's have a race against time. Right now that container is negative 15 degrees fahrenheit, will hypothermia or Woohyun get to you first?" He asked but I was pretty sure he didn't expect an answer. "Goodbye Minji. I do have a feeling, I'll be seeing your pretty face again." And the speaker went silent. 
 
I looked around trying to figure out if there was a way out. But the room was empty save from the vent that was feeding cold air into it. There was nothing I could cut my binds with, and I didn't even see an outline of a door. I was going to die here. In some sick twisted game, in a fight that I didn't understand between the world above and below. Tears slid down my cheeks. "Why…me?" I asked softly.
 
Myungsoo was taken. I didn't even know if he was still alive. I just wanted this all to be a dream. I wanted to wake up in my bed and go to work. I wanted so many things.
 
I shivered again and again. I didn't know how much time had past. I didn't know how cold it was anymore. I couldn't feel anything. "W-woo..h-yun." I said through my endlessly chattering teeth. "P-please…f-find.." And I felt my consciousness start to fade. Suddenly there was a bright light. I was going to die here after all…
I didn't even have the energy to walk towards the light.
 
"Minji!" A panicked voice cried. "Stay with me, Minji. Stay with me!" Hot hands grabbed me and I felt like I was flying and then I was in a new place with bright lights. I squinted, but I barely even had the energy for that.
 
"Minji, don't you dare sleep okay. I got you. I'm here." The voice said. I tried to open my eyes wider but I couldn't. Suddenly my vision went dark. But I realized the voice has tossed something over me. The load became heavier, and I tried to move but couldn't. I heard the ripping of plastic and frantic movement before fire touched me. I tried to scream but I couldn't. Suddenly I felt someone ing my blouse and pulling off my pants. I felt alarmed but at the same time, I trusted this person.
 
"What else do I need to do. What else do I need to do, Lisa?!" I heard the voice scream. "You have to let her warm up slowly. I know you want to throwing her in the hot bath, but she'll go into shock from the extreme change of temperature." Another voice replied. 
 
"Is it serious?" The male voice asked. "Well, she won't die." The female voice replied slightly annoyed. "Ow! Woohyun, you're hurting me." She said next. "Sorry. I just…I just need to know that she's okay." The male voice said sounding defeated.
 
The female sighed. "In five minutes, you can dip her into the bath. Dry her up and then wrap her with blankets. Luckily it was still mild or you would have to go to the E.R and explain how a person gets hypothermia on an autumn day." There was shuffling and she spoke again. "I have to go. I stepped out of the hospital to bring you all these things. Send me the money later." And a door opened and closed. 
 
Footsteps drew close and a warm hand pushed the hair out of my eyes. "Minji. I'm so sorry. You will never understand how much." I shivered. I was starting to feel warmer. It must've been heat packs and the comforters.
 
The male scooped me up. I was sure it was Woohyun now. His unique smell and the feel of warmth gave it away. I felt my eyes sting, but I was still too cold to muster tears. He did come.
 
He lowered me into a tub and I tensed at the hot liquid before relaxing. He sat on the edge of the tub and wiped my face with a small cloth soaked in the hot water. "Minji." He said softly.
 
I regained feeling in my body and my eyes opened more now. "W-woo." And he shook his head. "Save your energy. You can kill me later." He said with a sad smile on his face. I felt tears well in my eyes. "D-don't cry." He wiped away my tears. He lifted me up and I could only feel my cheeks grow hot when he took off the rest of my clothes before he quickly put me under the blankets again. He had tied up my hair so it wouldn't get wet. The poorly done bun was uncomfortable but I figured I could live with it. He watched my face and I looked at him through my half closed eyes. 
 
I was still shivering and he sighed. "Don't kill me." My eyes widened when he took off his sweater leaving him in a t-shirt and slipped into the bed with me. "W-what." I said my teeth chattering. "I'm not looking, I swear on my life." He said softly and he pulled me to him. I found myself almost curling up to his body warmth. I buried my face in the crook of his neck as he wrapped his arms around me. 
 
"I never lied to you." He said softly. "I know you must hate me right now because Myungsoo was taken, but I never expected the reaper to take a hostage like that. If he wanted to kill, he just does it. Playing these games. Hurting you emotionally and physically. I want to kill him for ever touching you." His hands tightened around me. I could feel his skin against mine, and in any other situation than to save my life, I would kill him for ual harrassment. But, his skin, no, he was so warm.
 
I closed my eyes and managed a small nod. "I'll get him back Minji." I gave him another small nod. "And." He swallowed nervously and I could hear the beat of his heart. I could feel it speed up against my own chest. "I had no choice but to call Gabriel. She was the only one who I could think of who would remove the Reaper from Myungsoo without hurting me or asking too many questions before actually doing so. I know you must've been scared. I'm so sorry for doing that to you." He lowered his head and rested his face in the crook of my neck. I shivered then, but for a different reason.
 
"Are you still cold?" He lifted his head the same time I turned mine and our lips brushed against each other. My eyes widened as I felt my cheeks heat up and his eyes widened as well. He started to move away but I didn't want him to. I grabbed a hand of his shirt to stop me. He blinked. "You want me to stay?" He asked his voice almost shaky. I nodded slightly and he came back to me to hold me. "Sleep. I will protect you. I promise." He said softly and I nodded before falling against against his chest. 
 
I woke up when sunlight touched my face. It was sweating now, with all the blankets…and Woohyun. He was fast asleep. I stared at him. He had joked about his looks being suitable for an Angel and I had blew him off, but he was beautiful. Even more so asleep. His eyelashes were long and curved. His lips were pink and full. His hands tightened around me, and I thought I had woken him but he was just subconsciously adjusting.
 
Why had I gotten to angry at him? Yes he was wrong for keeping things away from me, but I had wanted to beat the crap out of him. At the same time I felt horrible for hurting him. I realized now I hurt him even more on top of his injured fighting. No…I was even angry when I saw him with Kim Ha Na in that security video. Why? I was happy when he made me those horrible cookies. Why? I couldn't possibly…possibly be starting to…
 
I bit my lip. Why was I so worried about Myungsoo? Because I loved him? Because I felt personally responsible for his suffering. I would admit that I had feelings towards Myungsoo, but what were they really? I had felt nothing but relief and warmth when Woohyun came to get me. Relief? Was it because in the bottom of my heart, I trusted him to come and save me? Even when the voice had put some doubt in me?
 
Part of me was terrified. Part of me wanted to figure this out. As if a force was pushing me forward, I lifted my head a little and kissed Woohyun. He stirred and his hands tightened around me as he started to kiss me back. He was gentle but at the same time, I felt a sort of longing and desperation from him. My eyes widened in surprise, but butterflies exploded in my stomach. I clutched the handful of his shirt even tighter as I started to close my eyes. But suddenly his eyes burst open. He immediately leapt out of bed. 
 
I opened my mouth to say something but I was breathless from our kiss. My cheeks were hot. I saw his fists clench and he looked away from me and left the room. I sat up, holding one of the the blankets to my chest. I don't know how long I sat there in a daze.
 
I finally mustered the strength to get out of bed. There was a change of my clothes on the arm chair and I put on the burgundy sweater and sweatpants. 
 
Opening the door, I caught the smell of food. There was a plate with stack of chocolate chips pancakes and a plate of eggs and sausages. But Woohyun wasn't here. Did I do something wrong? Was I wrong to kiss him? To kiss an Angel? I didn't even consider that I was kissed an Angel. I just knew I kissed Woohyun.
 
I started to eat and realized just how hungry I was. I was in the middle of stuffing my face when the door opened. Woohyun walked in. "You're awake." He said and I looked away. He knew I was awake. "Woohyun." I said after deliberating for a moment. "Let's not talk about it. Ever. Please." His plea made me stop. I nodded feeling a painful tug at my heart.
 
"Did you make these?" I asked. "Yeah. I also ran out to get you some health tonic." He set down the plastic bag and grabbed a plate before starting to eat. I opened the small drink and downed the bottle. "I'm fine now." I said and he nodded. 
 
"How did you find me?" I asked quietly. "I knew when you are in distress. But I couldn't teleport anymore. The minute light broke in the sky, I was able to go to you…and then you know the rest."
 
"Did you see Myungsoo?" I asked. He shook his head. "I was so worried about you, and after seeing you in the hypothermia, I had no time for anything else. I'm sorry." He said.
 
"It's okay. You'll help me get him back right?" I asked. he looked up at me this time. "You can bet on it."