Chapter Thirty-Five

Angel Vessel


 


"Minji." Myungsoo made me turn to look at him. "Minji, listen to me."
 
"No! Good riddance to him!" I shook his hand off and stormed into my room. I slammed the door and locked it, running to my bed and putting the pillows over my head and covering my ears. Myungsoo tried knocking on the door and was shouting something, but I didn't want to hear it. 
 
I woke up groggy and my eyes felt puffy and swollen. Despite my anger, I ended up crying myself to sleep. After changing I walked into the living room and saw Myungsoo awake. He was drinking a cup of coffee while watching the news. He immediately looked at me when I walked in.
 
"Minji." He said standing up. I took a deep breath. "I don't really want to hear anything that defends him." I said. "No, but you don't understand. I have no idea what Woohyun is doing or thinking, but I punched him when he came to see me yesterday because he had asked me to do something for him."
 
I stared at him. Part of me did not want to hear it. Woohyun made his decision. He said those things to me to make me hate him. I could just let him have his wish. But I was still in so much pain. Anger was all I had to keep it all at bay. 
 
"Stop Myungsoo. I don't want to know. Woohyun can do whatever he wants." I grabbed my bag and headed to the door. "I'm going to work after I grab some breakfast. You're welcome to join me as long as you don't talk about him."
 
He sighed. "Minji..."
"Kim Myungsoo." I answered sternly.
"Okay. Promise you'll listen to what I have to say soon." I said.
"I can't do that." 
"I'll see you at the station." He said. 
Why couldn't Myungsoo just lay this to rest? "Fine." And left. 
 
Before I even got to the station, I got a call from the station that there was a death we needed to check out. I assumed Myungsoo would get the same call so I turned around and headed to the scene.
 
Before getting out of the car I popped open the glove compartment and took out a packet of cigarettes and a lighter. I was going to light one, when my hands stopped. I remembered what Myungsoo had said to me about my habit. What Woohyun had said to me about my habit. I let out a growl of frustration and stuffed the cigarette back into the box and slammed the compartment shut.
 
Getting out of the car I saw Myungsoo. 
 
"Hey." He greeted me. "Hi." I answered and we walked in silence to the yellow tape. 
 
I put on a pair of gloves as I squatted down next to the body. It was a man in his 30s. "Do we have a cause of death?" I asked Dr. Cho. He was measuring body temperature. "Injuries are consistent with a hard impact. He fell." I studied the man's face. "I think this is a suicide." I said. Myungsoo squatted next to me, our shoulders touching. I pointed to the imprint of glasses on the bridge of his nose. Jumpers always took off their glasses before suicide. If he was pushed, there wouldn't be such care to that detail.
 
"I'll do a sweep upstairs with the crime scene techs." Myungsoo said getting up and heading up to the roof of the building. 
 
"Detective?" A crime scene tech got my attention as he pulled out a napkin from the pocket of the victim. "Inspirit." I read off the crumbled napkin. I sighed. Why couldn't I seem to get rid of his presence in my life. Everything reminded me of him.
 
"I'm going to try to contact the victim's family with the ID we have from his wallet." I said. And with that I left the scene and instead of driving to the station I drove to Inspirit. I didn't knock, with a few pins I carried in my purse, I picked the lock and went inside. The club was empty at first glance. It was early, I doubted Woohyun would be here. I went behind the bar to find my sweater, but it was gone. I went to Woohyun's office and froze when I saw someone on the bed.
 
My heart sped up, a choking feeling starting to build up in my neck. What if it was the other woman. What if it was just any woman?
 
I took a few hesitant small steps and I realized it was just Woohyun. He didn't stir. I could barely tell he was breathing. His forehead was matted with sweat and his clothes too. Like he was running a marathon even though he was laying down. "Minji..." He suddenly said softly, like a whimper.
 
I grit my teeth. No. I wouldn't let myself forgive him. Whatever reasons he had for saying such horrid things just could not be justified. We were finally happy, but like a human man he went and ruined it all, single-handedly. 
 
He gripped the edge of the pillow in an iron grip. There was something wrong. I walked to his bedside and I reached down to touch his forehead, but suddenly his eyes burst open and he grabbed my arm, flipping me painfully onto the bed and straddling me. A millisecond later, his hand was around my neck, grip tight. I felt myself gasp for breath but getting no oxygen.
 
Although it looked like he stopped breathing earlier, he was breathing harshly now, a wild look in his eyes, a panic I have never seen.